I agree that one must have some knowledge to decide on who is the authority. One of the keenest problems of the creationists and IDers is that they think anyone with a PhD is qualified as an expert on anything. I get the point and I agree with it.

But there's a lot of things to learn in this world. In my youth, I thought I might make some progress in all of it. I thought I might become a renaissance man. Unfortunately, there's too many things to know for that. I can only hope to scratch the surface of any of it.

That said, I'm seriously considering embarking on a few classes on QM, starting of course with retaking modern physics.

I'm not sure that our era is one of pseudoscience - at least not any more than any previous era. Whenever science has advanced, there have always been snake-oil salesmen trying to profit from obscurantism. At one time there were people selling radium baths, because it help the hair grow luxuriant and the skin become more youthful.

Nevertheless, I'd think that with your penetrating insights you might provide the group with a primer on the subject or with at least a reference. I understand why a smart guy like you wouldn't want to waste too much time with a dummy like me. Seems like you could at least just supply a single reference, though, for the benefit of those readers (and potential readers) here who are a little less stupid than I am.