Originally Posted By: kallog
Yea some of these ideas depend entirely on the placebo effect, which can be very powerful. Having a pretense of science behind it is useful to fool some uneducated people into getting the placebo benefits, which is great. But molecules from Jesus isn't actually meaningful information in itself - just part of the (helpful) con.

And how can you modify it to work on scientifically thinking people too? It's no good trying to come up with a lie that's so confusing nobody can refute it - because nobody will believe it either. I think some new, more powerful approach to placebos is needed to make them work on modern educated people.

Don't think it's the same as the placebo effect, at least for the science-minded. They know there is no direct physical effects or information via the molecules, so for them there is nothing misleading, no deception.

The power lies in how the knowledge of commonality of physical substance affects their attitude or mitigates the feeling of seperation (time and/or distance) between us and other living things, past and present.

Also I tried my best to not make it confusing. While I was brought up as a Christian I am no longer othodox in that faith. I now call myself a unitheist— more particularly, I believe in inspired naturalism but not supernaturalism or a traditional God.