Originally Posted By: eccles
Ellis,

"Belief" is a bit of a red herring. We atheists simply don't get involved directly in "God" contexts....
Thanks for the direct clarification of your approach to "God" contexts.

Ah yes, context--an important word. Perhaps we need to ask theists--including deists and polytheists--, that is those who say, "I believe in God (or gods) ...": In what context--parts directly before and after--is God contained? Or we could ask: Does God have a context?

WHY I BECAME INTERESTED IN FUTUROLOGY
=====================================
I was thinking about the contextuality of "God", the history of belief and why we believe what we say we do, decades ago. This got me interested in futurology. I became Interested in the future of belief, theology, religions and the institutions--the churches, mosques, synagogues and temples, which promote them.

Quote:
At the heart of futurology is an understanding of what is possible, what is probable, and what is preferable, as well as the wildcards that may dramatically affect future outcome ...

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-do-i-become-a-futurist.htm
I became more and more convinced that, if theology and the idea of "God" was to have a meaningful and useful future, of real value to humanity, something had to be done about the way we do theology. With this in mind I began to study pneumatology and theology from the point of view of philosophy and psychology.

BTW, wisegeek points out: the first futurologists were theologians of the 1700's.

Last edited by Revlgking; 08/24/09 02:51 PM. Reason: good idea

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org