Originally Posted By: Ellis
We were told the other day that under our town is a huge reserve of Hot Rocks!! We were also given to understand that these 'rocks' could be used to generate elecricity. I have lived here for 40 years and in all that time we had never been made aware of this valuable asset under our feet. We were assured that 'they' knew all about it. In the meantime we have massive deposits of dirty brown coal nearby, masses of sunshine and a tiresomely apparent amount of constant wind. Guess which one generates our power?

Are 'hot rocks' geothermal by the way? Which is what I was going to say at the start before I got political!

Aren't there a lot of under utilised potential energy sources around though?

The hot rocks to which you refer are most likely heated by a geothermal process or system. It would be that system, rather than the rocks themselves, that would be the potential energy source. Depending on the characteristics of your system, geothermal can be rather easily and inexpensively tapped, even by individuals, to heat a home. Using dirty, brown coal when this resource is available would be a poor choice. It does, however, require some initial capitalization.

Under utilized sources? Everything that moves is capable of producing energy. What we lack is not sources of energy but, rather, sources of imagination and effort.

Buy a drill and some piping. :>)

When you talk to me like I'm five, I want to write on you with a crayon. -- Joanna Hoffman