"Sure we need the experts, providing they are humble enough to involve and work with the philsophers, spiritual leaders, the artists and just ordinary people trying to make a living."

I don't *quite* agree with that, but it's close to something I would agree with. I don't think experts need to be humble.

If economics is going to be actual science, then it economists need to give us their science completely unvarnished by human concerns; however, policy makers and those who implement policy need to understand that a good economy isn't an end unto itself. Sometimes we have to have a less than perfect economy in order to promote other human interests. The advice that economists can give is, "If you do A, then B is likely to happen." Policy makers should then hypothetically consult sociologists, "If B happens, what effect will that have on my constituents?" Ideally , you would get several economists, policy makers, and sociologists in the room at the same time to discuss a given problem or range of problems. This is what's called a conference.