G'day all,

As most of you know, my primary interest lays with climate research. I don't tend to agree with a great deal of research that is used to support global warming because I believe the scientific methods used or the manipulation of data or even the unchallenged assumptions on which the research is based severely diminishes the worth of the research. This is based on analysis of research that I'm currently tasked with examining and observation, rather than a strongly held belief for or against global warming. I do hope the distinction means something to others on this forum.

It certainly does not mean that I do not respect those who hold differing views. Indeed, I have learned a great deal from this site, mainly through threads that do not agree with a position I have suggested or held.

Currently Climate Threads are really not much fun. They don't stay on topic. They often contain insults. They end up with bickering rather than a discussion on the science.

I would like to suggest some common sense guidelines for Climate posts. I would really like to see input from others so we can reach a "consensus" on what guidelines would be appropriate to ensure such threads remain interesting, challenging and even fun for the participants (and even for the lurkers who just read).

How about threads stay on topic and if a post goes significantly off topic it is simply not responded to or gets a simple response post saying something like: "Not part of the thread being discussed. Please post in a more appropriate thread or create a new one".

I've suggested that posts that are insulting, not in the spirit of this forum or off topic, could even be moved to a thread called something like: "Off-Topic Relocated Climate Posts". But that may be a bit drastic.

There's probably a few other guidelines that would make sense but I'd prefer others suggested some as well.

I enjoy the posts on this forum. I've had interesting conversations with a few people from quite different backgrounds that otherwise I would never have had the privilege of interacting with. I'd like to continue the positive aspects of this forum in my principal area of interest, climate, without the current problems with threads and hope that most others feel the same way. Climate change is raised very often on this forum. It is perhaps the largest subset of threads in the "Science Discussion Forum".

Let's face it, given that a third of the US Government's research funding currently goes to climate science, new research is published every day and something interesting crops up probably a couple of times a week.

Any constructive ideas as to guidelines or even if the idea is a reasonable one.

Regards

Richard

Sane=fits in. Unreasonable=world needs to fit to him. All Progress requires unreasonableness