Quote:
Originally posted by dr_rocket:
Hi Blacknad,

the Mote in God's Eye was gereat.

Speaking of E. E. "Doc" Smith, have you ever checked out the Lensmen series? I have often thought that the Gray Lensman would make a gooe movie, especially with the CGI available these days.

Dr. R.
Hi Dr. R.

Yes, I spent my teenage years lost in 30s and 40s Sci-Fi. I still maintain that it's still some of the best, even though it's often badly written, and whenever they portrayed women they were ridiculously one dimensional. That makes me think of all these academics who were too geeky to have ever dated. Early Asimov is wonderful.

Gray Lensman would make an excellent film:

"This book is sort of archetypal E. E. "Doc" Smith in the progression of the scale of destruction. It begins with taking out Helmuth's Grand Base with the energy beams of the Patrol, and ends using free planets and a planetary negasphere to take out the enemy's planets themselves. Also, it is intersting to look at how fast the plot advances. If written today, I have a feeling this single volume would be a trilogy. Brevity is the soul of wit."

Some trivia on Smith:

"In January 1936 Dr. Smith took a job, for salary plus profit-sharing, as a food technologist (a cereal chemist) at the Dawn Doughnut Company of Jackson, Michigan. This initially entailed almost a year's worth of eighteen-hour days and seven-day workweeks. Persistent but unconfirmable accounts maintain that Dr. Smith developed the first process for sticking powdered sugar on doughnuts."

Blacknad.