Yes I know in most cases that is what happens. Any time that I've personally gone to a psychic, they made general guesses and then built off of my responses.
But that doesn't mean every psychic is a hoax. Just most of them.

I just googled Sonya. I gotta say that there is a possibility she does have this capability. I do think she falls back on old information she's learned in the past and applies it to other animal because she sounds redundant in many situations, but some of her communications are so unique. Especially, when she communicates with animals who have passed over and then she mentions there's a human family member there, too. And the audience member always immediately recognizes the person. They commonly say, "Sonya really hit the mark".
I ran into an interview where someone asked if she'd been scientifically tested and she said she wasn't interested. Go figure.
Pesonally, I would be alright if it turns out there's no afterlife, but what if there is?
I would really like to have certainty on this subject.
I don't know. And I do see your point about shows being a lot like books. I mean they could edit out all her "misses" which would make her "hits" less extraodinary.

~Justine~