Re: Looking for a [single] word...or maybe more than one.

Posted by bobbapink on Mar 07, 2002 at 14:34

Re: Looking for a word... (Natalie L. Smith)

The amplitude of a wave expresses the magnitude of the departure of the wave [ from the average value].

For example, take a pressure wave. The pressure varies and the amplitude of the wave at any point x would be the pressure of the medium at that point. Therefore, we would say that pressure is the "departure" of that wave [ from the average value].

For any wave of varying value, there must be a term used for the parameter being measured/expressed. So, for a light wave we would say that the electric/magnetic field strength is the "departure" of a light wave [ from the average value].

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup



[ Forum ] [ New Message ]