Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Interesting link, Rev. Is it always that calm?
BillS: It was calm anytime we visited the area over the last twenty years.

Freedom Cove--the name was given to it by Catherine and Wayne--is a very sheltered one. Wayne's son, who works steady as a foreman on one of the salmon fish-farms in the area, is building his own home not far from "The Fire-weed Bower" which is Magenta in colour. He and his father work well, together. They use the boat (an un-sinkable one, we hope) like some people use a small truck. They use it to "truck" fire-word, soil for the gardens, materials for building things, shopping in Tofino (25 minutes ride away) and the like.

Winters? They are cold, once in awhile. But Spring comes early, and summer lingers late.

The waters around can freeze, for a short time, in January, but it doesn't usually last. A small amount of snow can fall, now and then, but it soon turns into rain.

A lot of the food plants in the floating garden--plants like lettuce, cabbage, turnips, etc., survive the winter--which is a great time for artists to produce their art in the warmth the light they they get from the "Genny" and the warmth they get from the wood stove--VERY nice and COSY.

ARTISTS WILL OFTEN USE THEIR ART TO BARTER FOR THINGS THEY NEED. ANYONE INTERESTED?
==============================================
For some time now, they have had electricity. Some it comes from the sun, but mostly, it comes from a clean burning gas-driven generator.

TRANSPORTATION
Transportation? As the parents of Catherine, we do our part by buying some of her art, including her ability to write, in return for cash.

Naturally, we want her to have the money to buy the safe kind of boat she now owns, and other things such as a gas stove and washing machine. The next project is refrigeration. Any ideas?

Earlier this year, a friend and benefactor from the area, in return for art, gave Catherine and Wayne a Satellite-TV, and a DVD player of movies and music. Like we all of us, both like to be connected with what is going on on this amazing planet we call, Earth.

OUR FIRST VISIT
Jean and I made our first visit to the Freedom Cove in 1992 and every second year since then. We got back just last Wednesday.

In 1992, the "house" was nothing more than a two-room cabin, one with barely enough space for two couples. At the time, I did a painting of it: It is 3 feet 4 inches, by 1 foot 8 inches. Recently, I did one of the two-story house. Both could make excellent prints.

Bathroom facilities then? VERY Primitive. We heated water for washing ourselves on a wood stove. The men could pee over the edge of the floating area, whenever we needed. grin Women, in private, used a bucket. frown Needless to say, there was no flush, then.

FINALLY!
Now, there is a flush, such as it is--and a bath, and a shower. But, in my opinion, there is still need for more ... space and improvement. Well, as to the kind of space, I will leave it to your imagination.

As I indicated above, refrigeration is always a challenge, but at least one could then, and can now, jig a fresh fish for dinner, anytime--AND I DID!

There is plenty of fish and crab in the pacific ocean just beyond the cove.

FAMOUS, TALENTED, BUT NOT RICH ARTISTS, YET. PATRONS WELCOME!
BTW, every second year, Catherine--she is a writer, a performing artist (actor, singer, dancer), painter, carver)--and sometimes Wayne--comes to Toronto, and area. The come to visit friends and to connect with art dealers. They both have quite a number of their pieces in the Thompson Art Gallery, Toronto.

FROM FREEDOM COVE, HERE IS ANOTHER TEN-MINUTE POINT OF VIEW:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tIkzvloehc

HOW WE ALL, IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER, SUPPORT THE ARTS
In return for what they give us, we all support creative artists, in one way or another. My only two children are both creative artists.

BTW, whenever we go to the movies, watch TV, listen to the radio, read a paper, a magazine, a book, or even buy products advertised in same, whatever, we all support the arts, in one way or another, whether we know it or not. How about you?

Last edited by Revlgking; 09/07/11 04:42 AM. Reason: Always a good idea!

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org