Originally Posted By: finiter
The mathematical part of quantum mechanics is a tool to analyze the physical world. Statistical probability works in ordinary situations as well.
But explaining it as the physical nature of things is what I object to.

Thats a very old view QM is simply mathematics tool as I said look at a bosenova explosion those mathematical waveforms are ripping matter apart how does something that is only mathematical tool tear matter apart.

So now you have to explain a bosenova explosion under classic physics ... you have a big problem for a start which is the existance of a BEC get beyond that and you have to explain the bosenova explosion.

This is an example of us showing you, your physical world is very different to your perception you can't just brush it away.

I think the electron is indeed a particle, and not a wave. The term tunneling is used to show that the electron crosses a barrier, and the probability for it can be mathematically calculated.

How does something that is a particle pass through a solid physical barrier????

They say that they have photographed an electron. Though it is done indirectly, I think it may go against uncertainty principle (I am not sure).

You are correct uncertainty principle should prevent it but because of new understanding in QM they have done a bit of trickery. What they have done is guided an electron using a laser beam system next to an atom. The atom is very special it is held in QM ground state so it doesn't vibrate any vibration in the atom is recorded by an ultrafast attosecond flash.

So what you are seeing is the vibration of the electron on the atom slowed down massively. And what the image shows you is the electron is a little point that is appearing to be within the area we called the electron particle space but at differrent densities. Thus it confirms that an electron is first of all a wave density and that wave density gives it particle like properties, that is occupying a discrete space.

So it's your classic nightmare something that isnt real or solid appearing to be real and solid.

Last edited by Orac; 08/30/11 04:36 PM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.