Ellis, you respond: "Rev. You ask if more personal details are important. I think not, but I am a very private person."

Fair enough! And I respect your right to be private. But interestingly, if you recall, you have not remained completely anonymous. You have told us some things about who you are. Thanks!

But, surprise! surprise! as close readers of this thread know by now, I am not a "very private person", and it should be no surprise at all that, as I am approaching the first year of my 80's, like most oldsters, I do like to reminisce. Come on, now! Don't yawn and walk away yet. I am not that boring. laugh

But seriously, anyone who finds my comments boring, and/or pointless, are surely wise enough to know what to do.

BTW, I usually do not respond to people who are obviously not interested in what I have to say; to comments which I do not understand, or to those who simply want to pick a fight. Also, I leave offensive remarks--and there have been very few, mostly in the beginning--to the good judgment of our fair moderators.

Looking back, I recall that, even as a student--besides the academic studies necessary to my career--I have always been interested in people, the arts, especially including painting, music, acting and writing. I found, and still find, all of these to be valuable components of doing church--that is, the encouraging of healthy fellowship, community building, and creative social action on an inclusive and non-sectarian basis.

My life involved, and still involves, meeting people and getting to know them as part of the drama and the building of community. Needless to say, in re-directment--a term I prefer using rather than "retirement"--I am still interested in all of the above, but now I am especially interested in writing about it.

Looking back, I think I chose the career of being a minister, so that I could do all of the above. For example, I still do the occasional painting, speaking and group counseling.

Interestingly, just last evening, at the invitation of our second granddaughter who will be graduating from high school in June, my wife and I spent over three hours wonderful hours at an art show and reception, put on by her class.

At first, I thought it might be a dull affair. But it was not in her school; it was in a community and art-gallery-kind of building. After the brief formal opening, most of the evening was spent in an informal sharing of food and vibrant conversation about the art on the walls, culture, values, life and the future plans of the students. Parents, guests and students gathered in small groups made up of all races and creeds.

One could feel from the chatter and laughter that it was obviously an enjoyable experience. I wish I had a tape of the excellent dialogue, the sharing of ideas, I heard and participated in, as the conversation went back and forth in the two groups--and there were quite a few--in which I had the opportunity to be involved.

Contrary to the perception of Anon Whathishername, my granddaughter herded me into her corral. smile

Last edited by Revlgking; 02/12/09 06:29 AM.