Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8851 08/21/06 03:49 AM
K
Kate Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Time to step up and take a punt on what the guys at www.steorn.net are up to with their "free energy machine".

A
A
kate,

your poll is lame...

how about an option that says:

interesting, let's wait and see how it bears up under serious examination (or some such)

rather than cramming us all into arrogant authoritative snoot or radical wild-eyed fanatic categories

what harm is there in critically examining such claims (aside from preserving the paradigms)

K
Kate Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Apologies for casting anyone as a "radical wild-eyed fanatic"!

How about the "Hey! I think it really works! Don't be so cynical!" option. Unfortunately you can't edit polls so perhaps just imagine that it says "Hey! I think it *might* really work! Don't be so cynical!"

Hope this helps you cope with the poll!

B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Possibly a more salient question would be:

Would you actually stake your life on the fact that the 'conservation of energy' principle cannot be violated?

Blacknad.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
it all depends on what is called "free" energy. some people call wind and solar energy "free" because once your solar cells are working, it does not cost anything more. it does not cost anything to use the power of the wind itself, only the generator, supports and the windmill, etc itself cost anything.

then again, perhaps the machine is free and only the license to use it cost anything.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
T
T
Think it looks anything like this?

**Be advised this an attempt at humor**

D
D
Thinking about the first and second laws of thermodynamics makes me think that this is a load of horse hockey.

K
Kate Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Wow. Eighteen hours and 8 votes. This "democracy" stuff kicks butt!

E
E
My odds:-

79% It's a Publicity Stunt.
13% It's a Scam.
7.9999999999999% It's Bad Science.
0.0000000000001% It's Real.

PS I have probably vastly overestimated the chances of it being real. (I didn't want to wear out my zero key)

Eduardo
Resistance is futile. Capacitance is efficacious.
There are 10 types of people in the world... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Then I'll give you one of mine: 0

It meets every criteria for not being real. Which version of fraud is all that is left to debate.

DA Morgan
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
The only reason 'Steorn Company' of Ireland, has
challenged any scientists that will listen, to evaluate and test their 'Magnetic Free Energy Device'
I would suggest the reason they placed a full page advert in 'The Economist' ......a Business magazine is to get short sighted Companies to invest money in their idea.
The company, Steorn, says its discovery is based on the interaction of magnetic fields and allows the production of clean, free and constant energy -- a concept that challenges one of the basic rules of physics.
I understand that they are using a form of linear shuttering which alternately shields and releases a magnetic field?

After some thought and giving them the benefit of doubt.....I would suggest that they MAY have possibly come up with a more efficient way of generating an electric current.
The usual method is by rotating a coil within an electric field. Or even by shaking a magnet within a coil, as per an LED flashlite currently on the market.
Prehaps thair 'alternate shuttering' is nothing more than a stepped annular ring made out of Mu metal, which is set spinning, between a magnet and coil.
A mobile phone can be activated by replacing its battery with a spring loaded lever and cog that drives a rotating coil. Not that I've ever seen one. wink
There is almost certainly a more efficient method of generating and storing an electrical current, just over the horizon. But it wont be free to violate the conservation of energy.

The most efficient moving item that I have ever seen is the rotating pendulum that drives the incredible perpetual "Atmos" clock.

http://www.compadapt.com/atmos.html

You want to get rich? Make an existing item more efficient. mad

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
If you want efficient rotation get a politician.

Seriously ... I would be thinking cryogenics ... superfluidity.

It is true that any moving magnetic field will create an electric field. That is middle school physics.

The question is really one of what is creating the magnetic field (there must be a cost) and what is creating the movement (there must also be a cost).

My preference would be all the prisoners in all the prisons on a very large wheel. Now that would be paying their debt to society.

DA Morgan
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
too bad we cant get gwb's and congress's political manuvering energy. that would power the whole world for the next few centuries.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
All that hot air and no way to capture it.

DA Morgan
E
E
Well,

it is at least as good science as quantum computing and nano robots smile

es

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Warning. I read an article on this, but not their own web page.

This is great, if it pans out; however,
1) It seems more than likely a marketing ploy, or
2) Measurement error - you need to have the correct equipment to measure the right amount. If they're so far doing smaller amounts of energy, you could get that kind of error in round-off.

3) even IF they are getting out more than they personally put into the system, that doesn't mean there's more than what going in to the system. There is energy all around us - it could be this device is tapping into that energy. (If this works with small amounts of energy, it may or may not scale.)

In Feyman Lectures on Physics - I think first or second chapter he gives a really good explanation involving blocks. I *strongly* encourage you guys to look it up. (The explanation is duplicated in 1st chapter of H. C. Van Ness's book "Understanding Thermodynamics".)

That is, even if the device does what they claim it does, it's not clear that it's actually violating the 1st law. Yes. I'd stake my life on the first law being true.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
re #3, i believe ive read of a small engine (very small) that works on the principle of warming gas expanding and cooler gas contracting. If memory serves its used in clocks and things. you personally dont have to add a single bit of energy, but the changes in room temperature from day to night is enough to wind its spring. If i remember correctly (its been decades) someone suggested having something simular to build a huge facility to get the difference in the air and water to drive electric generators. Obviously nothing ever happen with it. Likely someone with a little bit of understanding of physics and engineering came along and found the problems with it in short order. This is likely to be as close to perpetual motion as well ever see.

M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Did you read my earlier thread posted on this subject? If not go back and read. (on how the Atmos works)

I am including another interesting fact here, not generally know, but it might interest you.

Take a 10" copper disc, at least 10" diam, (larger
gives more output)
Just spin it.....it develops electricity, no magnets. or any other items required!

Maximum output from central shaft, and circumference. wink
Amaze your fiends, have fun.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
does that work off the planets magnetic field?

M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Quote:
Originally posted by dehammer:
does that work off the planets magnetic field?
Correct! Grin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.