Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
The story is on the Science Daily website: Possible Viking discovery by archaeologist could rewrite North American history

The new discovery is in Newfoundland, about 500 miles further south than the only other Viking site found in North America.

Originally Posted By: Science Daily
The discovery is the subject of a two-hour special called "Vikings Unearthed." The program will first stream online at pbs.org/nova Monday, April 4, at 2:30 p.m. CT to coincide with the premiere of a 90-minute version of the film in the U.K. on BBC One. A two-hour U.S. broadcast will follow Wednesday, April 6, at 8 p.m. CT on PBS.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Thanks Bill. That's BBC One at 20.30, for those of us on this side of the water.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
We (wife, son and I) watched the Prog. last evening. Chrys (son) has a particular interest in the Vikings, and even he learned a few things. Thanks again Bill, we would probably have missed it without your heads up.

There never was nothing.
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
You're welcome. I haven't seen it yet. It will be on tomorrow night here in the USA. I will record it and watch it Thursday morning.

I find it much handier to record and watch most programs later. That way I can pause it and go do things and come back without missing anything. And of course on commercial channels I can fast forward through the commercials.

Bill Gill

B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Ok, I just got through watching it. It was kind of interesting. The thing I got out of it is that there is a high probability that the Vikings got even further south than the site they just found. So they will need to try to find more sites. Of course by the time you get down to New England the coast has been inhabited by European colonists for almost 400 years and any Viking sites are going to be hard to pick out from the more recent settlements.

Of course there have been plenty of findings of "Viking" sites all through New England. There are plenty of rune stones. In fact they have been found far beyond New England. There is a large rune stone right here in Oklahoma. Heavener Runestone. To me it is obvious that a bunch of Vikings would sail all the way down the East Coast of America, around Florida, on west to the Mississippi River, up the river and on up ever smaller rivers until they settled in SE Oklahoma:) Somehow or other there don't seem to be a lot of archaeologists who will agree that all of these are real.

Bill Gill

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.