Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Taking all that together I pretty much think you proved my point Billsmile

Again try reading what is actually written and stop making things up because you have an issue with me. You are so hung up about being right it's actually funny, I can imagine Bill's business card .... Bill never been wrong Gill laugh

So answer have you ever been wrong Bill? smile

You remind me of the joke of the 60+ guy that the wife always makes wrong so when he gets on the internet he is a monster

The thing about real science is there isn't a right only a not wrong, something you never really get your head around. There is a long list of things we thought were right that are actually wrong, that janitors like me simply don't get hung up about it. Someone makes a statement the simple question you ask yourself is can I falsify that with any result or experiment I know. Still doesn't mean your answer is right it just isn't wrong for now and yes Bill I have been wrong thousands upon thousands of times smile

For the record for any souls brave enough to read on and ignore the Bill G stupidity. It sounds to me Sabine has reached and touched the wall in Quantum Gravity, the point where you have exhausted all paths. At that point you either need a genius to think of something no-one else has or you start thinking about other solutions to the problem.

Sabine being a logical person is doing the obvious next step, she can't sit and stare at a blank wall for the rest of her life and so she is moving on like yours truely.

What you have left in the Quantum Gravity research seems to be a few leftover Prima Donna's like Lee Smolin trotting out garbage that is trivially flawed but keeping them in a paycheck. If there is a solution to Quantum Gravity it isn't going to come from these old washed up fossils it will come from the young ones in the field with new and novel ideas because that is what is needed.

So pretty much I don't have any answers at all, the best I can do is falsify the garbage that some deluded idiots trot out as an answer.

Last edited by Orac; 06/14/15 04:02 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
I started out with a simple link to a list of possible quantum gravity approaches. Orac immediately attacked it, and me, because he perceived it as being horrible science. I'm not sure what his problem with a list is. Apparently the only way he knows to discuss science is to go into attack mode. His first point is to use a String Theory True Believer's attack on the post as a sign that I don't know or understand anything. Then he says he doesn't believe in String Theory, but the main thing he had against the original list was that it was all wrong about String Theory. Now I am a hopeless idiot because I admit that I don't know what the answer is, but am willing to accept whatever is found to be the answer, when there is one.

The only thing I can figure is that Orac doesn't really want to discuss science, he just wants to stir up discontent like a lot of other Internet Trolls. That leaves just one possibility. In the future I will ignore all posts by Orac. If anybody wants to discuss science I will be happy to do so. Any posts by Orac will be ignored.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
No Bill it's called conversation about science smile

If you stopped worrying about being right, especially at your level of understanding and just discussed things it might work a lot better for you.

Do you understand what ad hominem attacks are Bill?

You tried the appeal to authority and now you are going the other way laugh

Lubos is a string believer as was Lee Smolin and myself once upon a time. Lubos still is Lee Smolin and myself are probably much more cool on the idea now. Even in your crazy view of how you say science works he has the same standing as Lee Smolin and Ethan as a PhD scientist in the subject area.

Deal with the science and the arguments not the personality ... an issue you are constantly having trouble with. If you can not deal with the issue it is probably best you ignore my posts ... my concern on what you think or do is very low as you contribute nothing to the discussion.

I can trivially falsify Lee Smolin as Lubos did in his article, the point is recent nuetrino experimental results are incompatible with Lee Smolin's ideas. If you have an issue take Lubos's response apart sentence by sentence like he did to Ethan and stop whining like a little dog.

So enough of the tough trash talk Mr I am right Bill Gill ... scientific argument please put up or shut up.

In God we trust, everyone else bring data smile

That is the blunt version because I am sure everyone has had enough of you whining about me, the bad string guy, the bogey man, that guy who looked at you funny and whoever else you don't like ... it's a public science forum deal with it. At the moment you are acting like a child ... I don't like them so they aren't right and they have girl bugs smile

Last edited by Orac; 06/15/15 06:50 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Last Reply!

Originally Posted By: Orac

Do you understand what ad hominem attacks are Bill?

Like your comments about me you mean?

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Orac
they aren't right and they have girl bugs

Best keep that one out of the public domain, or you could be out of the "Hunt" for the Nobel.

http://www.laboratoryequipment.com/news/...20&type=cta

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Haha no chance of that Marosz will get it besides I am out of ideas smile

Keep an eye on LHCb results that is about the only interesting thing at the moment unless you have "Your own untested theory" smile

Last edited by Orac; 06/16/15 02:40 AM.

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Originally Posted By: Bill
Like your comments about me you mean?

Bill Gill

LOL no Bill that was a personal attack nothing ad hominem about it, I grew tired of the trash talk and was making a point. Perhaps I should get a warning from AR2 but I thought we were here to discuss science not whether we liked or respected each other.

For the record I don't dislike you, but you have an incredible ability to make me laugh with all your myths and misconceptions you believe in, obviously very passionately .... Bill G standard science (TM) and all that. In some ways you aren't as far from Paul as you would like to think, at least in my eyes.

For the record I don't ever disregard your arguments just because they are from you. I try and take all questions and arguments as they come, the simple question is can I falsify it, call it habit. Pretty sure I answered all your questions, so perhaps compare and see how many of mine you answered smile

Final personal comment, try and remember science only deals with you being NOT WRONG it doesn't deal with being right. You can falsify other ideas but you can't ever prove that your answer is "right", it's more a case of last answer standing. Suggestions not falsified that can be tested and are valid with all known results are all equally "right". So be very careful about claiming to be "right", there are many conflicting ideas that are "right" in science. The extension is never use personal bias to select one answer when multiple answers exist, you aren't GOD.

Last edited by Orac; 06/16/15 05:32 AM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.