Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 243 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
A report on Phys.Org discusses a paper that claims to have found a difference in type 1A supernovae. They have found 2 populations of 1A supernovae. The ones closer to us appear to be different from the ones far away. If they really are different then that could affect the rate of acceleration of the expansion of the universe. If the report is right then the acceleration may be lower than currently believed. That could change the amount of dark energy in the universe.

Off the top of my head the biggest problem that I see with the report is the question of why the closer ones would be different from the further ones. What would have changed between the time of the distant supernovae and the time of the more recent ones? I'm not familiar with how they work, but I shouldn't think that there would be any great difference between the make up of the universe back then and now. Of course that does depend to some extent on when 'back then' was. The percentage of various elements in the universe has changed over time, based mostly on supernovae.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
And as if on cue Ethan Siegel has the answer in his Starts With a Bang Blog. He points out that there are other indicators of dark energy. In fact if there is a small slow down in the rate of acceleration it may bring the different predictions into closer correspondence. So if the calibration of the supernovas is wrong it isn't a disaster and may be a good thing.

Bill Gill

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Bill he is saying the cosmological model might be slightly wrong that is Heresy. Get that thing back in the box now smile

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Orac
Bill he is saying the cosmological model might be slightly wrong that is Heresy. Get that thing back in the box now smile

I have no idea what your statement means.

Bye Bye
Bill Gill

O
Megastar
Megastar
O
It was a joke (light hearted mirth) which by your response I think you got.

You need to loosen up and chill out a bit .... anyhow bye bye smile

Last edited by Orac; 04/13/15 02:43 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.