Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
I have been tracking the weather on and around the UK recently because I read an article about a vortex that is supposedly going to lower the temps in the UK this winter , I must admit the weather patterns are weird in the UK as some areas have temps below surrounding areas , my only guess is that down drafts and possibly bowls are causing these areas to have lower temp's than the surrounding areas.

I'm using google earth and noaa weather buoy data along with wind speed and direction , water temperature and air temps at the buoys ... a vortex is there and the temps seem to be above to normal temps as of yesterday ... there appears to be another vortex moving eastward towards the UK however and that vortex may be the one that is supposed to lock in the cooler temperatures.

I'm looking through my minds eye and I cant see any large degree of colder weather this winter in the UK , my reasoning is that the water temperatures that surround the UK would warm the air above the water and this warmth will keep the UK warmer...

Bill S , you live in Essex would you say that the temps have been warmer than normal so far this winter?

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: paul from science forum
you haven't answered my question about the weather in the UK
in the Climate Change Forum , I would like to have the opinion
of a human and his experiences through the years vs a bunch of measuring instrument's if you don't mind.

The problem of having the opinion of a human is that human observations tend to be rather biased. As an example I have noticed that it is rather common around here where I live to have a mid-summer cool spell. In fact most summers I quite look forward to it. It doesn't happen every year, but it does more often than not. The temperature can be quite cool, particularly in comparison with the temperatures before the cool spell. But every year what we hear over and over again is almost total unbelief that it can get that cold. This is from people who have lived around here all their lives and should be able to remember that it comes around pretty regularly. So the results of a bunch of measuring instruments gives a much more accurate idea of what is happening.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Thank you for sharing your experience , Bill.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Paul
Bill S , you live in Essex would you say that the temps have been warmer than normal so far this winter?

I didn't mean to ignore your question, Paul, but with time being short I have to prioritise, and Climate Change threads are not top of the list, so I hadn't seen it until you mentioned it elsewhere.

I have not been following the official records, so all I can say is that in spite of repeated warnings from some of the papers that this is going to be the coldest winter for over 100 years; we have survived with less heating in the house than is often the case in November. Also, only over the last few days have I been wearing a coat for dog walking. It's not unusual to need a coat by late September.

I'm aware that such local variations are not evidence for, or against, climate change, but I'm very happy with any savings on fuel costs that come our way. smile

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Paul, but with time being short I have to prioritise

Bill S , I don't feel like it's old age so it must be something else? let us know.

Quote:
we have survived with less heating in the house than is often the case in November.

that's exactly the type of info that I was looking for, thanks.

Quote:
over the last few days

the last few days have been slightly spooky, for instance yesterday morning it was in the 20's in Wales , 26F and 28F etc...etc...

upon investigation using google earth I found that
these temps were only in the higher elevated areas
around 700ft - 1000ft or so.

I'm blaming that on the winds above the higher elevated air
and in some areas the temps were in the 30's just
by the sea
shore only these areas have a high cliff that blocks the warm ocean air from coming ashore.

ocean water temps have maintained apx 45-51 F and the air above the ocean water is usually only a degree or two below the water temp.

when I looked this morning at the temps in and
around Portsmouth
they were around 42F and the channel water temps were at 58F !!! I'm thinking that the channel water is

providing this heat to the
southern cities of the UK...

and thanks again Bill S.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
still holding strong , I checked this morning to see how the
U.K. temps were and geez it was about 58 F in places , 48 around portsmouth ... meanwhile the U.S. is undergoing a major freeze , what a difference 4000 miles makes , LOL

I bet you guys are glad that the forecasters of colder weather were not exactly right , but its still too early to tell what will happen
you might still get that colder than normal weather , if this keeps up
though I might consider buying a winter home there.

there's rain rain go away , maybe there's a cold cold go away that we can say , LOL.

Last edited by paul; 01/08/15 05:22 PM.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Obviously this is a comment on the local weather, rather than climate change, but on Christmas Day, while walking the dog along the Prom at Harwich, I saw a couple at one of the beach huts barbequing their Christmas dinner. Not exactly traditional in this part of the world, but could it be a sign of things to come, or just a one-off?

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
that is a good question , I guess it all deepens.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.