Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
As temperatures soar to record highs in the U.S. the know it all's still try to claim that the climate is actually cooling.

HA

what a misinformed lot they are !!!

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
Superstar
Superstar
We's sho' enuff cold here, massa. It's 19 degrees F here, wind chill 3. It's 58 degrees inside my house beside the computer. The usual temps here for this time of year are in the 50s. That arctic air mass that got shifted down this way by wavering in the jet stream which was caused by higher temperatures in the mid-latitudes is taking its toll. I have to run into town today and get some things for Turkey day. There's a layer of ice and snow on my car that will have to go before I can get there. It's time for some cold water down the windshield. I have a half gallon of ice on my front porch, will have to get some fresh water to get the ice off. At least the roads look fairly clear. We only had a few inches of snow. Eat your heart out, Minnesota!

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
That sounds grim, Rose.

Most of Oz is currently very hot for the time of year! The G20 mob have been meeting in Brisbane, which reached 40c on the weekend, after our PM had told the august personages attending the conference that climate change was not important! Not his finest moment! It was actually the hottest November day on record, after the hottest month on record (October).

Luckily where I am it is actually quite a cool start to Summer, (19c at the moment), but very dry indeed.

I know weather is not climate, but it has all definitely changed here in the last 20 years, and not for the better.

Superstar
Superstar
It is a bit brisk. Not looking forward to December and January. I've had the heater on all day in here, and it is up to 70 F (about 20C). I did get out yesterday, Main Street was covered with ice and snow-pack, and the entrance to the town is a hill about 30 degrees slope, so it's a stiff climb. Luckily the hill faces East, and the sun had melted the ice and snow off of it by this afternoon when I had to get out. Yesterday it was cold enough the de-icer fluid was freezing at the corners where the wipers pushed it off the windshield. Today all the ice was off the car. On the plus side, I don't have to stick the turkey in the freezer, I can just leave it on the porch until it's time to bring it in to thaw.

I feel for you with the heat. My handy thermometer says that 40 degrees C is about 104 F. We had some of that last Summer. Not looking forward to more of the same next year. I hope you will get some rain. We need rain, too, but with this arctic air mass just hovering over us, we're getting the cold but not the precipitation. And yes, I do believe it is caused by global climate warming. If this keeps up I'll have to take up quilting to keep warm. ;-)

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Well, since you like these changes in the weather so much I thought you might be interested in an article in this months Scientific American (Dec. 2014). The head line is "The Jet Stream is Getting Weird: Extreme summers and winters of the past four years could become the norm". I think that pretty much says it for the article. It also just about says it for the weather we have been seeing the past few years.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
Superstar
Superstar
Bill, I didn't say I liked it. I'm just not going to be overcome by it. I'll cope with the cold when it's cold, and with the heat when it's hot. I agree, the jet stream is getting weird. It's responding to changes in heat at the equatorial regions. I'm looking for this to be a killing Winter. There are already deaths blamed on the weather in the US so far. I don't doubt that it will get worse as the Winter proceeds. I don't intend to become a statistic. My larder is stocked and my heater works. I'm good as long as the electricity holds out. I may eat bean sprouts for fresh veggies, but I'm capable with that, too. :-)

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Doesn't the conspiracy mob say that the BP disaster diverted the Gulf Stream? Certainly there are those who seem to think that the Gulf Stream currents and the convection currents that DO influence our climates in the various countries are no longer working as they should, for some reason.

Since I wrote about the heat north of the Divide there have been floods in Brisbane. It's still baking there, and gets to mid-40c in NSW outback every day. It used not to be like this until after Christmas. No wonder most of us here in Oz live on the coastal fringe south of Queensland.

You sound very resolute AR. I hope the weather eases up on you soon. The photos of the snow and the buries houses and trucks etc. look disastrous, but I'm sure you will cope as you sound well prepared. Don't forget batteries for the torch and radio!

Superstar
Superstar
Oh, I am well stocked for batteries. I have a pack of 16 AAs that has not been opened yet, and enough AAAs to replace the ones in my keyboard twice. One thing I don't have is a weather radio. Paying the bills comes first. I have several little electric lanterns that I check regularly to make sure they are working, and I have an LED flashlight on my keychain which is obscenely bright. I also keep several candles in holders around the house so I can have light and heat. I believe in peace from strength, and comfort from preparedness.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B

Climate Talks to Set Record-high Carbon Footprint

http://www.laboratoryequipment.com/news/...20&type=cta

Is it me or........?

There never was nothing.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
it is you Bill S !!!

I was going to point out the 50,000 tons myself but while I was writing this that 50,000 tons became 100,000 tons so the pointing was pointless because I cant spell that good or type fast enough...

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.