Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
Scientists have developed materials that transform sunlight into heat, very efficiently. This could bring about a new era in solar power.

http://phys.org/news/2014-10-solar-power-material-percent-captured.html

This could be a great step forward for solar power. Or not. What do you think?

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
It sounds promising. Unfortunately different people keep coming up with new ideas that sound promising. I have gotten to the point that I just look at the latest announcement and say, "that's nice". It is a long way between the first development of a new idea and its actual implementation.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
Megastar
Megastar
I think there is a lot more promise here, than in the fusion arena, which E. O. Wilson recently described as "like waiting for the Second Coming."

Bill S's lab-equipment site has a great article on new advances in integrating organics (think pigments) with the inorganic solar cell or semiconductors ...or something along those lines.

http://www.laboratoryequipment.com/news/2014/10/material-brings-hybrid-solar-cells-closer

Quote:
Researchers have developed a new method for harvesting the energy carried by particles known as dark spin-triplet excitons with close to 100 percent efficiency, clearing the way for hybrid solar cells that could far surpass current efficiency limits.

The team, from the Univ. of Cambridge, have successfully harvested the energy of triplet excitons, an excited electron state whose energy in harvested in solar cells, and transferred it from organic to inorganic semiconductors. To date, this type of energy transfer had only been shown for spin-singlet excitons. The results are published in the journal Nature Materials.

"...dark spin-triplet excitons" ...oh my!

~ smile

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: samwik

"...dark spin-triplet excitons" ...oh my!

I always knew those enviroweenies would go to the dark side.

Bill Gill

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Those replies, including mine, are maybe a little snide. Actually I don't pay a lot of attention to the various reports of improvements in this or that form of renewable energy, but they are all signs that work is taking place. One of these days one of these reports is going to be the spring board to widely usable and economical renewable energy. It just takes a while for the work to lead to a real end. After all even Thomas Edison didn't develop his electric light bulb in one great feat of engineering. He started by buying an existing patent for an electric light bulb*. Then he spent 2 years of his workers time developing a final product that actually worked. The same sort of thing is going on in renewable energy.

* This is from the PBS series "How We Got to Now". Last weeks episode was about light.

Bill Gill

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.