Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#53208 10/14/14 02:57 PM
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Nina Pham , a nurse who cared for an ebola patient
test positive for ebola.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/cbs_evening_new...ation-s-future/

she was wearing , mask , gown , gloves and shield.

there was a mention in todays edition of the CBS Evening News
that the transmission may have been due to Miss Pham's exposed
skin coming in contact with the outside surface of her gloves
as they were removed.

I think that the health workers need to be provided with a
ebola killing solution in a bath that completely bathes the outside of their gloves as the gloves are removed and the gloves remain in the bath.

the gloves are the most vulnerable to contamination.

when the gloves are removed they sometimes snap like a
rubber band because of the elasticity of the gloves material
this can cause ejection of the contaminants into the surrounding air possibly into the eyes ,nose or mouth
of bystanders or the one removing the gloves and onto surfaces.

2014?

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
The first approach to keeping from getting contaminated when removing protective clothing is to use extreme care. Obviously human beings aren't always as careful as they think. I expect that nurse thought she was being careful. And at least they caught it fairly quickly, since she was monitoring herself on a just in case basis. I wear disposable gloves when I am cleaning and they are not that easy to get off without touching them. Of course I wear them to protect my delicate skin from the harsh cleaning supplies I use, not to protect from disease.

In addition to your suggestion another possible way to decontaminate the gloves before taking them off would be to use a UV decon box. Have you seen any stories about the UV decon units they use in some hospitals? They have one at the Veterans Affairs hospital in Muskogee. It is a rolling stand with a high intensity UV light on the top. They roll it into a room and close the door, then it emits flashes of UV that decontaminate the room extremely well. If you were to build a set of UV lamps into a box you could insert your hands up to the elbows and let the UV decon your hands and arms before you start to remove your protective garments. You would still want to be very careful not to touch the outside of any of the garments.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
Superstar
Superstar
I personally would not like to expose my skin to UV radiation of the power and wavelength to sterilize surfaces. That could result in burns and skin cancer. Not a hot idea.

With this second nurse getting Ebola, and the fact that she traveled by plane while she was feeling unwell, now expands the group of people who need to be watched by the entire crew and passengers of that airplane, plus anyone she came into contact with before being diagnosed. This magnifies the issue a great deal. She was likely contagious when she took that flight back to Dallas, and may have exposed any number of people in the city where she was doing her wedding planning. Many threads to tie up. Hope we catch it before it spreads.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

Superstar
Superstar
I personally would not like to expose my skin to UV radiation of the power and wavelength to sterilize surfaces. That could result in burns and skin cancer. Not a hot idea.

With this second nurse getting Ebola, and the fact that she traveled by plane while she was feeling unwell, now expands the group of people who need to be watched by the entire crew and passengers of that airplane, plus anyone she came into contact with before being diagnosed. This magnifies the issue a great deal. She was likely contagious when she took that flight back to Dallas, and may have exposed any number of people in the city where she was doing her wedding planning. Many threads to tie up. Hope we catch it before it spreads. Also, anyone and everyone who passed through that emergency room while the man was there is a potential victim. That may prove the hardest to track down. This thing is going to get worse before it gets better.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.