Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Gerontology. The word comes from the Greek word, 'gerontos', meaning old man + logy--meaning the study (science) of aging of all adults.

Since the moment of birth we all begin the process of growing older, gerontology is of special interest to all people. Jokingly, I often say to children old enough to get the joke: "I was once five, like you. But you were never my age, were you?" It always get a smile or even a laugh .

I include even those who happen to be the political, economic, educational and social leaders who happen to be well-off and live in a modern, industrial and densely populated part of the world--in Europe, Asia, the Americas, wherever--with aging populations and low birth rates.

Stay tuned! Be sure and participate with your comments and questions.

Last edited by Revlgking; 10/11/14 07:54 PM. Reason: Always helpful

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Revlgking
Gerontology. The word comes from the Greek word, 'gerontos', meaning old man + logy--meaning the study (science) of aging of all adults...
In my opinion, the following is a very good outline of this important science: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerontology

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
Megastar
Megastar
There was a nice discussion about Gerontology during this interview.
http://www.booktv.org/Program/16245/Being+Mortal

Does your doctor talk 50-60% of the time, or 90-95% of the time, during an office visit or evaluation?
Does your doc check your feet and foot care?
When is “preventing a fall” more important than too many different “life-extending” medications (which can increase dehydration and dizziness, making a fall more likely)?

Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End, by Atul Gawande.
Atul Gawande is a general surgeon at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston and a professor at Harvard Medical School and the Harvard School of Public Health.

Originally Posted By: CSPAN2
Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End
...with all that medical science can solve in the modern era, it should be doing better at responding to the needs of the aging and dying.

As he says in this C-SPAN interview, it is

“about fighting for a set of goals that are different than what we’ve understood. ...[T]hat the goal is not a ‘good death;’ ...but ...that is just the tiny moment towards the end, and it is about life and living, even as....”

I’d recommend watching this for anyone concerned with the ‘lifestyle questions’ of quality vs. quantity, or of purpose, priorities, and goals, or of family and safety and autonomy and independence, or of wishes, hopes, worries, and concerns for the future.

Here also, history has some lessons to learn from. Our current gerontological system is a very recently evolved creature, and would benefit from some 20/20 hindsight, as well as new development and new oversight. There was a big, new law in the 1950s ...about hospitals and nursing homes!
===

...if the book is like the interview, then:
This book raises some fundamental questions, which are also important to answer as we seek to improve our education system, and our economic system, as well as for helping to improve the environment, energy ethics, public health, and national happiness.
===

There is no better time, to be elderly, in history; but....” - Atul Gawande

~ wink

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Originally Posted By: samwik
There was a nice discussion about Gerontology during this interview.
http://www.booktv.org/Program/16245/Being+Mortal...
... “There is no better time, to be elderly, in history; but....” - Atul Gawande ~ wink
Quote:
About the Program
The award winning author argues that with all that medical science can solve in the modern era, it should be doing better at responding to the needs of the aging and dying. He talks about solutions to the deficiencies he sees with Johns Hopkins surgeon and professor of health policy, Dr. Marty Makary.
Sam, thanks for this excellent contribution to this thread. I will read it carefully and encourage all posters, especially those of us who are getting old, to do so, and comment. !

For some time now, I have accepted the fact that I am a gerontos, which begs the question: How do we decide when it is okay for anyone to say, "I am beginning to feel that I am getting old ..." ? BTW, readers, take the time to tell people you know about this thread.

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
THE ACTION AT WCafe2?
=====================

http://www.wondercafe2.ca/index.php?thre...754/#post-21918

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
THE ACTION AT WCafe2?
=====================

http://www.wondercafe2.ca/index.php?thre...754/#post-21918

Jokes and rhymes... what happened to the topic content rev.?

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
A Weird sense of humour & blind to content. A lost soul from "everywhere and nowhere"? So sad!

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Lost soul?
Given direction by you, ya know what I did find that was fascinating, was this post in response to you carrying your frustrations with me into wondercafe(2)..

"Linds, if it wasn't for Tutor Turtle, it would just be you talking to yourself. Which it pretty much is for stretches.

Your threads seem to get views, but not much else. You link to them in places like Twitter and About.com I see. That will drive up views, and a lot of the views will be bot re-indexing the thread for search engines. Bragging about views like you do is pointless, as 8,000,000 views doesn't mean anything when you only have 2000 replies. That's 4000 views per reply, which is a nonsensical ratio. Either there is a bug in the counting system once it reaches a certain number, or Google had issues. One reply for every 4000 views is Nigerian email territory.

And for a subforum called "Not-Quite-Science", you're expanding the definition of "not quite". From what I've seen, I agree with Tutor Turtle, and I think he has been quite reasonable."

In your following response you wrote:

"So, you agree with TT, eh! Have you ever read his/her profile? Sounds like a robot to me. Maybe you and TT are one and the same! :sneaky: eh!

BTW, more than once, I offered TT the opportunity to have an open and meaningful dialogue. He refused."

I've never refused any dialogue with you rev. only the demands to succumb to your rules of engagement.
The accusation you made in response that he/she (chansen..the Jesus of wondercafe2) was me posting on wondercafe was hilarious.

Perhaps gerontology, when associated to rev. lgk, should include a lack of grounded awareness in any reality other than one assumed by lgk, and somewhat removed from one others engage in.

Thanks for the link rev. laugh

Keep on advertizing yourself on the net with the purpose of finding someone to join you in the worship of rev. lgk, under the guise of someone who offers something meaningful. Perhaps one day you will rise above the need to place others under you in order to maintain your fantasy of righteousness and release yourself from the aggravation that you will into creation to plague you.

Last edited by Tutor Turtle; 10/19/14 01:52 AM. Reason: before I was lost but now I am found in wondercafe.... ;)

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
BORRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...ING...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz...Filled with nothing but mind-numbing & jealousy-motivated comments which are ad-hominems at their worse!!!!!!.... YAWNING...ZZZzzzzzzzz........AH! Restful... Sleep...hmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Maybe to you rev. but it was pretty entertaining for me to find that another was on the same page as I am, with you and your conversations to yourself,.. about yourself.

Didja notice Chansens profile rev.? He's got 438 likes to your 8, and 83 trophy points to your 8.
Based on his profile (which by the way you seem to find so important as a character reference when discussing my worth.. or lack of it) he stacks up to be a better point of reference than you do at wondercafe. I think his references to your posts here are worth considering, don'tcha think? smile

About that ignore button rev.. You seem to make false claims to using it, by commenting on everything I write. What's up with that?

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
OK, TT!! Ask Chansen--as I just did--Chansen, how come you have done nothing to solve the login problem that I have had for days and days? Unlike SAGG, I cannot remain on permanent log in as I do here.

BTW, no matter how complex I make my pass word, it gets bumped without anyone explaining why. The ADMINs headed by Chansen, are useless, it seems!!!!!!!

I am sure that, meanwhile, others have come and gone, as I will soon, if no positive results are forthcoming, eh!
===================================================
GIVE ME A REASON TO TRUST ANY DISCIPLE OF TT, EH?

Last edited by Revlgking; 11/15/14 10:23 PM. Reason: Always helpful

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
SAMWIK, AT WONDER CAFE 2, I just got myself in at the half-way point--no thanks to Chansen, or to his tutor T, eek --where I have been several times, before.

As yet, there is still no REPLY link. Without it, the forum is useless. I suspect the ADMINS are all amateur techies.

Any info on who can, and who CANNOT respond--I could once upon time. When we get together, Hermann and I always have good time...Right Herm! As I call him.

This thought just came to me: I suspect Chansen--did I read he is from Brampton--not far south/east of Toronto?

Chansen, where us your profile?--is so hungry for power, he is using his position as, little Jesus--his reputation, to skew things as he sees fit. Hmmmmm! Am I on the right path, anybody?

Last edited by Revlgking; 11/15/14 11:49 PM. Reason: Always helpful

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
IT LOOKS LIKE CHANSEN'S PROFILE DOES NOT PASS MY "SMELL-TEST".
ANYONE ELSE SMELL SOMETHING?

===============================
Rita,TG
Hello there chansen ....
Is there a problem with the time setting for this site?
I posted something this morning and it says I did that
at 1:55PM
Something seems out of whack... [Yes, I The Rev, noticed]
Thanks! Rita

Jun 17, 2014
=====================================

About little Jesus, CHANSEN

Nobleton, ON, West of TORONTO.

Religious Identification:Atheist and Anti-theist
Religious Group: Realist

Interact Content: Not with ME--RevLGKing, he doesn't!

Find all content by chansen

=============BTW, Chansen, has TT sold you any navel-lint, yest?
I guess my smell is working quite well, eh?

==============================================
Signature "I am a religious agnostic because of science, an atheist because of probability, and an anti-theist because of religion." - Matthew Cook WORTH TRUSTING?

Last edited by Revlgking; 11/16/14 01:50 AM. Reason: Always helpful

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Chansen, BTW, my e-mail is lindsaykin@gmail.com , not Yahoo.ca

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
OK, TT!! Ask Chansen--as I just did--Chansen, how come you have done nothing to solve the login problem that I have had for days and days? Unlike SAGG, I cannot remain on permanent log in as I do here.

With all the talk about will power, why do you seem such a victim to that which is good orderly and designated to irritate you to no end

IT LOOKS LIKE CHANSEN'S PROFILE DOES NOT PASS MY "SMELL-TEST".
ANYONE ELSE SMELL SOMETHING?

Someone who judges everyone according to how they smell?

Seriously rev. does your geriatric sense orientation and the troubles with those who don't meet your expectations at wondercafe have to be brought here?

You take the threads in this forum into personal realms advertizing yourself and the other forums you fail to get attention in and hope to get more notice by bringing your judgments here. You go to wondercafe and take the threads in that forum into personal realms advertizing yourself and your activities in other forums there as well as bringing your judgments of those you dislike here into those personal realms of GOD judgment and willpower, yet your will doesn't seem to be done....

Perhaps the blood in your urine is a sign of stress due to a lack of control and the paranoia you have about those who are not submitting a proper resume to clear themselves of the demons you place upon them.

Too bad you can't burn witches anymore huh rev.?

Do you really think Chansen hangs out here? Why are you posting personal messages to him in this thread?

rev. are you losing your mind?

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Quote:
Do you really think Chansen hangs out here? Why are you posting personal messages to him in this thread?
TT, a lint-spinner, not me, was the first to introduce Chansen to SAGG.

Quote:
rev. are you losing your mind?
If you find one kicking around, help yourself to as much of the 90% as you need to have. So little is needed,I rarely need to make more.
======================================
This has happened, Since I tuned in to the Generator of the Oneness that brings Delight--that is, since I connected with,the Good Omni-0ne-ness that Deliver: PNEUMA-power, which makes all the brain-power we need, when we learn and know HOW to do so, as we need it.

Not long after I connected--along came the book about neuro-placticity: THE BRAIN THAT CHANGES ITSELF--Stories of Personal Triumph, by the eminent neuro-scientist and researcher, Dr. Norman Doidge, Toronto, ON.

The book came from My family--including our three grand-children, students at the U of T. They gave me the great book & signed it for me, for XMAS 2013, just in time.

The oldest, born in 1988, now happens to have an honours degree in psychology. We chat a lot about how--if we are to have and share all social needs like enough wealth, health, justice and peace--created and shared generously--the pneuma - psyche & soma can, ought and must WILL to work in harmony for the good of each and all of us--basically the same Gospel taught by Jesus and others. May I suggest that the fourth basic and great colour is [color:#009900]GREEN It help things to heal and G R O W--that is heal and grow like the grass, the bushes and trees, in Spring[/color].

My personal doctor and friend Dr.Zoltan Rona--who I first met in early 1990s--is skilled in bio-chemistry, nutrition, gerontology--and the like--sure told me so. In his dispensary there are only PRO-Biotics, but he refers clients to other physicians when they really do need it.

By the Way--doctors and staff at the MCKENZIE HEALTH CENTRE-- http://mackenziehealth.ca/ were and still are, very good at what they do.

They also thanked me for the counselling I did in the emergency ward--a very depressed alcoholic needed the pneuma-therapy, badly. After I used it, with permission of the nurse in charge, he calmed right down, so did the whole ward.

The Head Nurse, gratefully told me so, and began using it to help people as they came in, in distress.

Also on the regular-care ward, where I and other elderly patients received the special tests we needed, here is what happened: The five blood transfusions, which I received did their work. THANK G O D --My haemoglobin, which was in the dangerous 20s, is now in the normal range, so is the oedema in body below my waist. ON THE MEND? Definitely. This major centre agrees: HOLISM is the way to go, now and in the future!

Last edited by Revlgking; 11/16/14 10:27 PM. Reason: always a good idea!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.