Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Superstar
Superstar
It is a very complex mechanism. The brain does so much developing while in utero, and after birth up to about age 3-4, that it is hard to pinpoint any one factor as being contributory to the eventual development of autism. It is hard to reconstruct a woman's diet 9 months or a couple of years after the fact. If it is environment or dietary factors, who can say whether it is a lack or surfeit of something at a critical stage in the development of the fetus? With all the toxins in our modern environment, it is hard to tell what chemicals one has been exposed to. From plasticizers in plastic bottles to the anti-inflammative treatments in our furniture and carpets, to who know what in our drinking water, a lot of chemicals pass into our systems unsuspected. If it was solely an environmental problem, there should be clusters of cases and area or regions of high and low incidence. I daresay no one in the hills of Appalachia has ever heard of autism. Some of us suffer from Asperger's syndrome, and are functioning in society with more or less degrees of success. I expect if I were tested I would fall somewhere in the Asperger's continuum. Somewhat brilliant mind, totally at sea socially. I'm the one at the cocktail party with a drink in hand standing in the corner looking nervous and out of place.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

Megastar
Megastar
THIS JUST IN FROM CBC RADIO--The Current: ABOUT THE WORK OF A PERCEPTIVE SCIENTIST. DR. MARTIN BLAZER--author of the recent book, MISSING MICROBES--How The Overuse of Antibiotics is Fuelling Modern Plagues.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17910121-missing-microbes
=======
In my old files, going back over 40 years, I have articles warning us of this. Now we are getting the evidence.
Link to CBC.ca/The Current, is below.

Quote:
Dr. Martin Blaser says that a rise in "modern plagues" can be tied to overuse of antibiotics and other medical practices. (Reuters/Fabrizio Bensch)

Antibiotics have changed medicine and saved lives, but while killing certain illnesses they may have also enabled others.

Dr. Martin Blaser argues the overuse of antibiotics has altered the delicate balance of microbes living in all of us, making us vulnerable to a range of new diseases.

Dr. Martin Blaser has studied the role of bacteria in human disease for more than 30 years. In his new book, Dr. Blaser raises alarm bells about how the overuse of antibiotics and Cesarian sections may be taking a toll on the diversity of bacteria in our bodies, with consequences for our metabolism, immunity, and cognition.

Dr. Martin Blaser is a professor of medicine and infectious diseases at New York University. He is also the author of Missing Microbes: How the overuse of antibiotics is fueling our modern plagues.
==================
http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode/201...-our-own-peril/

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
T
Megastar
Megastar
T

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

Megastar
Megastar
Amaranth Rose II, thanks for your comments and for being so open about yourself. You say of the body and brain,
Originally Posted By: Amaranth Rose II
It is a very complex mechanism. The brain does so much developing while in utero, and after birth up to about age 3-4 ...
to which you add
Quote:
... I expect if I were tested I would fall somewhere in the Asperger's continuum.
In addition, you add,
Quote:
Somewhat brilliant mind, totally at sea socially. I'm the one at the cocktail party with a drink in hand standing in the corner looking nervous and out of place.
======
As your comments, with which I concur, indicate, we--that is, we spiritual beings, who happen to have an animal-like brain (not to be confused with mind) and body--are, "a very complex mechanism."

Amaranth, STORY OF AN AUTISTIC CHILD

You mentioned autism. Interestingly, for many years after I chose to retire as chair and founder (in 1973) of THE FAMILY LIFE FOUNDATION (FLF), flfcanada.com--mentioned in the signature, below--the one who I nominated to succeed me was the Rev. Dan J, a former Lutheran minister.

I first met Dan--two years my senior--when he, knowing that I used hypnosis--which I now call PNEUMATHERAPY--to help children--[he had heard me doing an interview on the CBC radio and TV News] brought his severely autistic eight-year old son to see me.

To our amazement, especially mine, the child responded positively--and almost immediately. Needless to say, the Rev. Dan J, also, immediately became an active member of the FLF ... Later, when I nominated him to take over as chair of the FLF, he was delighted.

Interestingly, when Dan's son got old enough to want to work, we in the FLF were able to get him enrolled in work programs that fitted with his intellectual ability, which was limited. He found his niche in life.

However, the bonus is: socially speaking, he grew up to be a handsome extrovert who, in my experience with him, mingles very well, socially. Hmmm! Makes one think!

Last edited by Revlgking; 05/07/14 10:44 PM. Reason: Always helpful

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
Megastar
Megastar
Building on the work of Dr. Martin Blaser, check the following:
=====================
The following quote is from a SCIENCE NEWSLETTER that I get. It is about a tribe called THE HADZA:
Quote:
... FREE of heart disease, cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes, and other "western" diseases. They are also very lean despite eating up to 15 lbs of meat on "feasting days" when they successfully get a kill.
the Hadza diet typically consists mostly of berries, tubers that they dig up, and honey... but this varies based on the season... more meat during the dry season, and more berries, tubers, and honey during the wet season. This aspect of their diet naturally cycles their protein, fat, and carbohydrate intake to much different ratios during different times of year.

Again, let's be reminded that they are free of heart disease, cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes, and other "western" diseases. They are also very lean despite eating up to 15 lbs of meat on "feasting days" when they successfully get a kill.

Their immune systems also fight off pathogens very easily due to their massive intake of probiotics and their corresponding gut health.
===========
BEWARE OF OVERUSING ANTIBIOTICS--they destroy health-promoting bugs.
----------------
I wonder: How many family doctors know about helpful "belly bugs?"

Quote:
We've already talked in previous newsletters how having gut dysbiosis (an imbalance of bad to good bacteria in your gut) has been linked in numerous studies to everything from obesity, brain conditions, skin conditions, digestive disorders, and even cancer.

Getting back to the Men's Fitness article (btw, I think MF is stepping up their game, as this was the best article I've seen them publish in a while; Good work MF!), the author shows some links between gut bugs and obesity, saying "obese people's GI tracts have a less diverse population of bacteria than those of lean people"

Bruce German, a PhD food chemist from the Foods for Health Institute at the Univ of California states in the article, "The inappropriate, indiscriminate use of antibiotics looks like it's been a real problem for our microbiota. We tended, for decades, to believe that there really was no risk associated with antibiotics, so it was widely prescribed for just about anything."

The article continues, "However, a recent study from the Stanford University School of Medicine showed that the first few days of antibiotic use will decimate the population of gut flora, which frees up the sugar and nutrients that harmful pathogens use to gain an upper hand. If you're lucky, this sort of damage can take more than a month to repair, and some bacteria strains may experience a permanent loss."

As you can see, our belly bugs are one of THE most important aspects of our health and whether we get certain diseases or gain weight. And your gut flora balance is completely controlled by how you live your life, what you eat, how much exercise you get and the type, stress levels, social bonds, your surrounding microbial environment, and more...

Last edited by Revlgking; 05/11/14 12:09 AM. Reason: I always check

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.