The ultimate RV is the KiraVan being built by Bran Ferren for his 4 year old daughter Kira. At first it will be used for travel to places that are hard to get to for her education, then it will become hers. The story is in the latest Wired Magazine (22.04). The van started as a Mercedes Benz Unimog. It has been extensively modified to turn it into an extended range RV that can go almost any where safely. It has 6 wheel drive. That is 4 on the cab and 2 on the trailer. The tires are super sized and puncture resistant Kevlar. The cab has 11 display screens to show all the different things that can be monitored. It looks more like a control center than a drivers seat. There is an extensive array of communications systems so they should always be able to communicate, no matter where they are. Even Kira's seat is special. It is an adaptive seat with the controls built around Bose noise reducing head set technology. The system has been modified to work with vibration so that the seat will be stable when on the move under almost any conditions. And many other wonderful things. It can also be provisioned to live for 2 to 3 weeks without having to restock.

Of course I do wonder how this will be licensed. I don't think it will be as simple as walking into the DMV and laying the title on the counter. And what kind of license does the driver need?

I love fancy gadgets.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.