Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
There really is no such thing as a solid line of emitted photons what process is ever going to do that ... you have to create the photons and that process is not instant I know you have looked at this

I didn't say a long photon orac!

I said a line of emitted photon's.

and yes photons means more than one photon and if they
are being emitted in a line then a line of emitted photons
really is such a thing.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
O
Orac Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
O
Originally Posted By: paul
I said a line of emitted photon's.

and yes photons means more than one photon and if they
are being emitted in a line then a line of emitted photons
really is such a thing.

Yes but just checking to make sure you get the full picture.

You know the photon emission process so the chances of getting two photons in a perfect line behind each other is going to be extremely rare even when we use a reflector, lense or wave guide process they will generally always be slightly offset and hence all light beams have a width even a laser beam has a defined width because of this problem.

It is one of those active areas of research I mean we can make a continual emission of Radio frequency because the generation is easy but that is not true of light although in theory it should be possible it is still an EM wave.

The most likely way to break the problem is by using Purcell effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purcell_effect) but there is also some hope with laser in micro wave cavities and maybe someone will discover a new way to do it. I think at the moment some of the CW lasers are closest to what is really desired.

Ideally as scientists what we would like is a something like quantum dot that emits a guaranteed single photon and then be able to bring the photon emission in closer and closer in time so the photon waves are literally one behind each other or a CW laser beam one photon wide (single wave with perfect temporal coherence) so it looks like that Radio EM wave above but that is a long way off currently.

Last edited by Orac; 04/04/14 08:46 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
O
Orac Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
O
I will leave that to you Rose at some point even you must get bored of the same images over and over again smile

Have you heard this years polish science award went to the guy that invented a flashlight that runs only on sunlight laugh

Last edited by Orac; 04/04/14 04:11 PM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
O
Orac Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
O
Have you heard about Marosz and his polish science team that are going to do a mission to land on the sun. Everyone has told them they will get burnt to death but they insist they will be okay because they are going at night laugh

Lets see if I can get it flying 57 and climbing smile

I guess the post count is up Rose and it all cost was any chance to discuss frown

At some point someone is going to put him back on his meds and it will settle ... right?

Last edited by Orac; 04/05/14 04:12 AM.

Superstar
Superstar
Sorry about the intrusion. For some reason this thread did not come up on my radar until now. You can carry on with your discussion of dimensions. etc. Hope you can get it back on the rails.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

O
Orac Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
O
Thanks rose a you noticed it was rather hard to scroll back up 3 pages of spam to look at responses.

It's weird actually ignoring him seems to get more and longer posts.

Last edited by Orac; 04/05/14 05:22 AM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.