Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 352 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#51278 03/10/14 03:13 AM
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
I just finished watching the first episode of the new Cosmos with Neil Degrasse Tyson. It was pretty good. This episode he addressed the basics of where the universe came from. He did it in a interesting fashion. He started with where we are in the universe and a brief history of some of the things that led to the change from a small Earth centered universe to a huge free flowing universe. After that he ran us through the good old cosmic calendar ploy. The life of the universe in one year. Not new, but he did it pretty well.

The biggest problem I had with the show was that his voice was out of sync with his mouth. I don't know if that was problem with the source or if it was a local problem, but it was bit disconcerting.

I saw it on the Fox network. It will also run on a number of the cable channels, I couldn't say what the schedule will be for that.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
Bill #51281 03/11/14 07:42 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
In our backwater we will probably have to wait for its release on DVD. Please keep us posted so we can judge if it is worth buying.

There never was nothing.
Bill #51854 04/26/14 09:43 PM
W
W
I just watched Cosmos episode 5. The age of the earth was estimated by the ratio of uranium to lead in the Arizona meteorite. The premise seemed to be that the “clock” started when the rocks of our solar system were formed, became solid.

My thought: uranium and lead were created in a supernova. The uranium decay began at that time. Would not the ratio of uranium to lead found in a meteorite indicate the original ratio of uranium to lead, adjusted for the decay of uranium from the time of its (and that of the lead’s) creation? If so, this the age of the supernova not the age of the earth.

Am I missing something?

With respect,

Mike C

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.