Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#4493 11/17/05 02:49 AM
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
The secret is out, Andre Agassi, Marat Safin, Anastasia Myskina, Patty Schnyder, are winning tennis matches using Tennis Raquets made from the new Amorphous Alloy that is stronger than than Steel or Titanium. This alloy has a 'liquid atomic structure' meaning that when used as a bat all of the energy from ball impact is used for a powerful return, so what a player puts into his or her swing is exactly what they get out. No energy is lost on ball impact due to the racquet?s 'liquid atomic structure'

Amazingly it melts and becomes plastic in hot water, when it can be moulded, but it quickly hardens at room temperature.
The mixture of elements include: zirconium, titanium, nickel, copper, berylium.
This amorphous metal was named "Vitreloy" and had massive strength: a one inch wide bar can lift 300,000 pounds, compared with a titanium bar that could only lift 175,000 pounds.
But "Vitreloy" has since been improved by Liquid Metal Technologies, and now has twice the strength of Titanium. It is currently being used for baseball bats, watch cases, ski's, tennis raquets and more.
Liquidmetal Technologies Inc. has an exclusive license for this product. It is also being considered by the U.S. Department of Defense as an armor and anti-armor material.
http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/technologies/liquidmetal.html

***Thoughts
The mix is obviously a secret, but the mix reminds me of a low melting alloy called "Woods Metal" It includes Bismuth and you can buy it from Ebay, or an industrial metallergist company like "Goodfellow.com" (search for 'Woods metal') It a low melting point alloy that also melts in hot water. It's been around for 50 years, and is fab for the casting of intricate objects. It can be used over and over again.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

#4494 11/17/05 06:00 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Keep in mind that it contains beryllium. That is one metal I wouldn't want anywhere near me without some serious toxicity testing of the alloy. Personally I'd rather have contact thorium or uranium.

DA Morgan
#4495 11/18/05 01:08 AM
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
Is this "sporting"?

Why doesn't the sport control the make up and design of its tools so everything is equal? This is a joke as I see it. It is the equivalent in the practice of law to limit one attorney to using only four letter words in his brief while his adversary has the full spectrum available. I am not much for sports anyway but this "inhales".
jw

#4496 11/18/05 02:44 AM
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
Keep in mind that it contains beryllium. That is one metal I wouldn't want anywhere near me without some serious toxicity testing of the alloy. Personally I'd rather have contact thorium or uranium.
Yes Dan,I was aware that Beryllium, is toxic, but I didnt comment upon this since I believe it is ONLY toxic if INHALED. I do know that some power Transistors contained, (or use to have) powdered Beryllium inside, for cooling purposes. And on no account were they ever to be crushed or cut open.
Prehaps these new type of Tennis raquets might only contain a very small percentage of Be: incorporated within the Alloy, and is presumably safe? Admittedly I am not sure of the answer to the last sentence. Nor am I sure as to whether one can handle a pure Beryllium lump safely?
But since Be: is light, strong, and an excellent heat conductor, it has been/is, used in Aircraft brakes.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.