Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 352 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Offline OP
OP Offline
http://scienceagogo.com/news/20050618023959data_trunc_sys.shtml

Pretty neat article, if this works by stunting the contamination of the ocean and by reducing fuel consumption then I am all for it. I wonder how much this stuff costs?

"The growth of marine organisms such as barnacles on ship hulls is a major drag for the naval industry, since their presence is one cause of increased energy costs. Researchers, led by Ralph Liedert at the University of Applied Sciences in Bremen, claim that they have solved this problem by using artificial shark skin, as its unique properties offer a structural design that prevents this so-called 'bio-fouling'. Liedert claims that covering ship hulls with artificial shark skin could help ships sail more smoothly with greater efficiency."

Sincerely,

"My God, it's full of stars!" -2010
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
3M SharkSkin was used on Americas Cup yachts. It's not new. Physical and chemical inhibition of marine fouling are not new, either. The trick is to make them work commercially at reasonable cost. That's never been done aside fom painting slick poison on the hull.

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I recall reading an article once about using capsaicin from chili peppers to make a boat coating that repelled barnacles and mussels. It was from some research done in New Mexico, I think. I'll have to see if I can find that article posted on the net somewhere.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Rose quotes:
"It is better to die on one's feet than to live on one's knees."

But isn't it equally true Rose that:
"It's not how you died, it's how you lived"

Sounds like a good solid paradox to unravel.

DA Morgan
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I mean to live life to the fullest and die on my feet, not my knees. If I can look back on my life and not regret not having lived enough, I'll be happy. The saddest thing, as Thoreau said, would be to die and discover one had never lived.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Science channel. wink

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.