Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 95 of 120 1 2 93 94 95 96 97 119 120
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
...Samuel Johnson's stone kicking doesn't convince me. How can I know?
You mean Johnson, the one who refuted Bishop Berkley, the philosopher of immaterialism (that there are no material objects, only minds and ideas in those minds), who advocated subjective idealism?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_lapidem
Quote:
Argumentum ad lapidem (Latin: "to the stone") is a logical fallacy that consists in dismissing a statement as absurd without giving proof of its absurdity. The form of argument employed by such dismissals is the argumentum ad lapidem, or appeal to the stone...This action, which fails to prove the existence of the stone outside of the ideas formed by perception, fails to contradict Berkeley's argument, and has been seen as merely dismissing it.
===================

BTW, are you expecting a serious response from each of us who wrote on the point about conscience that was first raised by Ellis?

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
BTW, are you expecting a serious response from each of us who wrote on the point about conscience that was first raised by Ellis?

Serious response? This is SAGG! smile

Yes, that's the Dr Samuel Johnson; the one with the sore foot.

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Revlgking

are you expecting a serious response from each of us who wrote on the point about conscience that was first raised by Ellis?

Were you expecting a serious response to this?:
Originally Posted By: Revlgking

Ellis, or anyone: In your opinion, what is the nature and function of what we call the conscience? (From Latin for with + know) What do we really mean when we say: I am a conscious person and I have a conscience? Without a conscience, can we be truly human?

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Could be we should start this one again. smile

There never was nothing.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Perhaps we should forget it. I don't want it on my conscience.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Guilt is self prescribed thru the ideas of self worth.

Nothing wrong with having any kinds of thoughts or feelings as long as they don't have you.

You aren't your thoughts.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Unless, of course, you are the ultimate solipsist; in which case, like Abbott’s occupant of Pointland, you and the whole cosmos would be your thoughts. However, you would then have little need of a conscience.

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Solipsism:
sol·ip·sism
[sol-ip-siz-uhm]
noun
Philosophy . the theory that only the self exists, or can be proved to exist.
extreme preoccupation with and indulgence of one's feelings, desires, etc.; egoistic self-absorption.

If it pertains to the philosophical point of view, Conscience would be whatever served the natural evolution of the cosmos.
Like floating down a river, one does not try to grasp onto the shoreline for fear of the water and its direction. Knowing that its inevitable end is to merge with the infinite ocean that it empties into, you would also know that the water that made the river came from where it will go.

Energy is energy and all feelings can be witnessed by the individual rather than being consumed by them. One would need only to know that feelings are not a bad thing.

Unfortunately most adults teach their children that feelings are inappropriate in certain places and that they make others feel uncomfortable. This being the rule one finds themselves uncomfortable with their own feelings as they learn to accept that it is uncomfortable to witness another have their feelings.
Makes for a sphinctered emotional mindset where everyone fears the feelings of others, and that may remind them of how bad feelings are.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Today, 10th May, the three surviving puppies were two weeks old. They are all gaining weight well, have their eyes open and are sprouting whiskers.

There never was nothing.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Great news!! You will have to get them moustache cups!

Is the mum fully recovered?

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:

Physically she seems to be back to normal, but the whole experience appears to have traumatised her to the extent that she will probably never be the same without psychiatric intervention.

No more litters for her!

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Quote:
..(The experience)traumatised her to the extent that she will probably never be the same without psychiatric intervention....!
Bill, may I suggest pneumatherapy. smile It enabled our two cats to live just short of twenty years. Both took off for the "undiscovered country" peacefully--without our having to take that dreaded visit to the vet. Their bodies are now part of our flower garden.

Last edited by Revlgking; 05/12/12 01:55 AM. Reason: Always helpful

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
B
Megastar
Megastar
B

Alfie says he is glad to hear you are a cat person. In his (not very humble) opinion, that means you cannot be all bad. smile

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B

Bomber, before the puppies arrived.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B

Bomber,after two weeks of broken nights.

There never was nothing.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
And it's Mothers' Day to-day here in Oz!!!! All of whom (perhaps secretly) sympathise with Bomber from the bottom of their hearts.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
Bill, may I suggest pneumatherapy.

Of course you may; all suggestions gratefully received.

May I also make a suggestion? Wiki could do with some real information on pneumatherapy. How about it, Rev?

Happy Mothers' Day to all Ozzie mums.

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Definition of the soul and how it could be broken and in need of therapy would be a real boon to the idea of pneuma

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Is it necessary to be able to produce a human definition of something in order to recognise that it is broken, or indead that it might be able to be mended?

There never was nothing.
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
If indeed something is broken or in need of therapeutic intervention. It might be useful to know (in human terms) THAT.... which you intend to apply human remedies.

The Rev. did suggest the prescription as he applied it to his cats.

I'd be curious as to how the spirit gets broken. More than likely the relationship to it needs attention, but that would necessarily require an understanding of spirit and the human relationship to spirit

Page 95 of 120 1 2 93 94 95 96 97 119 120

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.