Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#4125 10/17/05 05:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Okay, maybe quite a few.

The spirit of this forum has always been to promote learning by all comers. Some have more to ask, some have more to give. All are welcome at this table. You are asked to be polite and not to flame others. As a place of learning it is without peer on the net, IMHO. That is why I agreed to take on the job of moderator, to keep that spirit alive. I see some of you feel as I do and I respect that. There are some people who seem to be posting just to rack up the number of posts they have made and don't really have much in the way of science to offer. I ask you all to think before you post; if what you're responding to is not something that has a basis in Science, you may be feeding trolls. Think before you click and feed only what you want to sustain on this forum. We are not "Faith-a-go-go" nor are we going to become that. I allow a lot of latitude with what goes up here, but I can shut some things down if it is perceived to be getting out of hand, and I have had some complaints recently. I take complaints and compliments seriously; it's my job. I try to strike a balance, but lately things have gone a bit far over the philosophy line for my liking. Let's talk Science and have some consideration for those who come here specifically to talk Science.

One of the major assetts of this forum as I see it is the willingness of people from many fields of study to share and talk together; I read everything and I have learned a lot from this forum. As far as I have been able to determine this is the only forum on the net where that mixture holds, and for that I will hold out. I don't mean to inhibit anyone from posting; all are welcome if you stick to the rules. It is not necessary to bring up religion in every thread, and some older members have been caught doing so. frown Don't bring it up if you don't want to discuss it, and don't complain to me when it gets discussed because you brought it up in the first place. smile

R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
i will use this forum as a place to post all my questions regarding the site and not science if that's ok.

How come I am suddenly a member and not a junior member?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The forum automatically determines rankings such as "junior member" and "member" according to how many posts you have made. Not magic, just the mysteries of automation.

Cheers,

"Amaranth"

R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
thanks.
I thought it was something to do with age.

Just out of curiosity, do you know if the majority of the members are actually scientists?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Just out of curiosity, do you know if the majority of the members are actually scientists?"

If by scientist you mean those with a legitimate advanced degree of some sort, in any field, those are not thick on the ground anywhere. Judging by the member profiles (yes, I read all of those, too) I would have to say probably the majority of members here are not scientists by that definition. In fact, there seems to be quite a number of individuals who sign up and never post anything. I don't know if they are people who are content to merely lurk and learn or if they just don't have anything they want to say yet. You can read member's profiles in the directory, assorted by name, member number or number of posts. There are 383 so far.

I hope that helps.

"Amaranth"

R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
it does! thanks!

R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
As the creator of the topics; 'how thick is lightning in diameter' and 'are ghosts holograms', I humbly request that you delete them from the forum. Now I realise that these questions were not worth their own topics.

I have an idea, and I wanted permission from the moderators before I put it into action. I was thinking of posting a ?general questions, theories and hypothesises? topic, where people could post interests that are not worth their own topics. What do you think of that?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"As the creator of the topics; 'how thick is lightning in diameter' and 'are ghosts holograms', I humbly request that you delete them from the forum. Now I realise that these questions were not worth their own topics."

#1. There are no dumb questions, but there are some dumb answers.

#2. Any question worth being answered is worth asking.

#3. Don't let people make you feel dumb for asking questions here. That's what this place is for, asking questions and getting answers from people in the know. I learned something from each of those threads and I'm willing to bet the same is true for other people here

In conclusion, I choose to let the threads stand on their own merits. Good questions deserve thoughtful, considered, considerate answers and those were two good questions.

You're always free to edit your own posts if you choose. Of course, once someone quotes your post, you're stuck with it showing up anyway. I though those were serious questions; the answers gave me information I did not have before and my writing will be improved thereby. Don't be ashamed to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one left unasked.

Cheers,

"Amaranth"

X
X
it was the 19th of october when i signed up here,
and rob dude dont even think about not posting i love it here already the threads are great and sometimes abstract (a good thing)

As to how thick lightning is, im goign to find that thred if its still there and have a look :p this is why i signed up here theres people exchanging ideas ans thoughts on topics i love it keep up the Q's man

D
D
Eistein saying "God doesn't play dice" was a philosophical statement at the time. While agreeing with your opinions of too much philosophical content, too little could lead to a purely 'maths' forum. We do science to solve problems, the problem is us, therefore philosophical in nature. I would like to see answers to science questions given in the posting if a person is capable, rather than asking them to read an article or book. If we learn everything from a book or website, we won't be talking here. It's a lot easier, quicker and more enjoyable to learn by talking rather than studying on your own. Anyway, my two cents (tupence) worth.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good points, Dogrock, thank you. It's nice when people give straight answers, though sometimes that leads to questions of credentials, and a link has the advantage of having some sort of published credentials of authors. I don't have a problem with posts that have links, as I was always taught to "go look it up yourself, you'll learn more that way" and I did because I ended up reading the dictionary and encyclopedia that way and learned about more than I started with. What I do object to is people posting in foreign languages without offering a translation.

Having said that I am going to change my signature to reflect that.

R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
Amaranth,
I didn't say they were dumb questions; I just thought they weren't worth their own topic. What do you think of my idea?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's much easier to respond to topics if you stick to the "One thread, one topic" format. Changing the topic in the middle of the thread is sort of deceptive and makes it harder to find the threads to repsond to them.

R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
right

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.