Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
The feasability study for tallest building in the world has been completed. A giant tower 1000 meters tall, and about 50 meters diam, is to be placed in the center of a 5000 meter diam: low glass roof.
The hot air developed under the glass roof (which is just a few feet high) will create a self
perpetuating convection up-draught of air, driving a 200MW generator. Enough power to supply nearly 1/4 million housholders.
This single tower alone will prevent 750,000 tons of CO2 gases from entering the atmosphere every year.

The Australian Goverment together with EnviroMission Ltd (the Australian Company) should be applauded for helping develop and finance this wonderful worthwhile polution free project.
Its simplicity itself, no noise from dozens of wind turbines, just a single huge chimney tower, about the width of a football field.
I can see it becoming one of the tourist wonders of a grateful new greener world.

Unbelievable? No its real enough.
Its now completed feasability study is based on an actual small Spanish Solar Air Chimney that has been running sucessfully from 1982-1989, generating green electricity without any problems.

Picture of the overall idea here.
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30546/article.html

EnviroMission Ltd...The Australian Company

http://www.enviromission.com.au/index.htm

Picture of the working Spanish prototype tower

http://www.enviromission.com.au/project/prototype.htm

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

D
D
Hard as I try I can't find any fault with it. And maybe if there's enough of them the Earth will cool down again. Naw, there must be a downside, like starting tornados or something. Ah well.

Am all for innovative ideas which promote the proliferation of electric power with as little negative impact on the biosphere as possible. ^5 .. OTOH.. Could this be a terrorist target eventually? Damned technology has far out-paced society's maturity...
Tornadoes too.

Sincerely,

"My God, it's full of stars!" -2010
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds like a perpetuum mobile that really works. I hope the technology takes root and grows.

As for being a terrorist target, anything and anyone can be a target for terrorism. The London subway bombings have shown that; Spain has shown that; the US has shown that as well. Some people have no respect for their own lives and will spend themselves on any cause that comes along. I hope there can be safeguards put in place to prevent it from being a target, but the biggest building in the world will always attract attention.

K
K
Interesting. I haven't seen anything in the mainstream Oz press about this new development!

X
X
damn us aussies not only are we smart we are good lookin too.

i think this is great development its massive and very green for our earth (L) im happy its here, waiting to hear something huh kate typical aussies. modest as well as the above :p

J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
It looks and sounds great. The only obvious detrement is the size which means you can't have one just anywhere. Posibly they can enlarge on the idea with the chimney being inside a building with condos or offices around the outside and a parking lot a level below the hot air collection surface. The unit could then provide all the power required for the building and not look out of place. If it was possible to have he hot air collection area seve as a hot house for year round vegitation that would be an additional asset. The condo part is an easy item to add as is the parking. Now is the time to give the idea some thought.
jim wood

E
E
Now Here's A Weather Maker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This idea super charges the old thermal chiminey concepts and seems more buildable too:

Alternative energy | The power of spin | Economist.com http://www.economist.com/science/di...tory_id=4455446

Cheers,
Erich

Erich J. Knight
S
S
Thanks for the tip about the spanish tower. Sounds crazy to go the whole hog with a small scale study.
By the way. The chimeney may be only fifty metres diameter but the hudge collector roof is at least five kilometres in diameter.

It has been in the mainstream press somewhat but not on the front pages. Sex, scandal, and murder seem to dominate there.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.