Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
... However, since neither Alice nor Bob could know this until they were able to communicate conventionally, this rather fanciful pseudo-teleportation, is of somewhat limited value.
What intrigues me in all this is the fact that serious intellects like the physicist, like David Bohm--I once heard him speak at the University of Toronto--and others are even giving serious thought to such ideas.

Note: This Page
http://technovate.org/web/articles/quantumthought.html
Quote:
It covers many interesting topics in physics and metaphysics and contains many interesting hyperlinks to other fascinating pages. So that you won't lose your place in this narrative, links on this page will open up to a new window on your web browser - leaving this original page still intact.

"Quantum Teleportation to Quantum Thought:
Psychism is now real Science"
by Ray White

Something very exciting has happened for the future of the unification of science and metaphysics. This new evidence I think is the greatest step forward towards a scientific realization that there might be some possibility for the existence of psychism, magic and miracles. That neat little thing, which hasn't gotten nearly enough fanfares in the press, is Quantum Teleportation.

Quantum Teleportation is a somewhat mindboggling concept, but it's really not all that hard to explain philosophically. The mathematics is mind-bendingly complex and I certainly don't fully understand it myself. However I have been doing much armchair physics research myself in the topic of quantum physics lately, and I would like to share some of that with you.

I will go into much more detail on this issue of Quantum Teleportation, and also several other physics theories that lead up to it and also strengthen the footing of metaphysics, magic, and miracles. Although for now let me just tantalize you.

Quantum Teleportation does something very unique in the annals of science. It shows that it is possible for one thing to effect another without any intervening mechanism involved...

Last edited by Revlgking; 08/12/11 03:47 AM.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
And this one will make your day Revlgking

If we define a persons soul as an energy
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/24759/

We can transport energy across time and space.

Quote:

There is a growing sense that the properties of the universe are best described not by the laws that govern matter but by the laws that govern information. This appears to be true for the quantum world, is certainly true for special relativity, and is currently being explored for general relativity. Having a way to handle energy on the same footing may help to draw these diverse strands together.

Einstein would have been very unhappy but perhaps science is coming back more in favour with religion because the big bang is certainly not the start and end of the story.

So in some ways religion has been a bit harsh on science which simply follows the truth wherever it leads and however uncomfortable it gets.

And finally I thought I would share a thought experiment that shows just how funny reality is (http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21128253.700-time-need-not-end-in-the-multiverse.html) ... see even 50/50 odds may not be what they seem.

Last edited by Orac; 08/12/11 04:55 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
G
gan Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I think Einstein said that if our sun burnt out, our space-time will have a big wave. The wave is exactly the speed of light, and push our earth out from its path.

He said that if sun burnt out, we will saw lights, but is history of lights. Am I right?

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
“The essence of the argument is that you don't need any new information, in this case the fact that you woke up, to understand why the odds are no longer 50/50. In a multiverse that grows exponentially, where each new generation of universes is far larger than the last, younger universes always outnumber older ones. Waking up, you will either be in a universe in which 1 minute has passed (heads), or in a universe in which 1 hour has passed (tails). "The experiment sets up a 59-minute ambiguity in the age of the universe," Guth says. "You should always bet on the younger one."”

This seems logical, but unless you have changed universes while sleeping, you will still be in a universe in which the original odds were 50/50.

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Gan

According to Einstein's theory, the Earth is following a geodesic through spacetime that's curved due to the proximity of the sun's mass. See: http://oh-math.net/1.php

As far as I know, Einstein didn't actually refer to the sun burning out, but his theory says that if the sun suddenly ceased to exist then there would, in a sense, be a wave. This is because the spacetime curvature that the sun had caused would gradually disappear, beginning at the sun's former location, and spreading outward at the speed of light. The result would be that the Earth would, after about 8 minutes, begin to travel at a tangent to its former orbit. It would not have been pushed, and its momentum would be unchanged, but it would be following a new geodesic.

Regarding light, photons that left the sun during the final 8 minutes of its life would still be arriving at Earth for 8 minutes after it ceased to exist.

http://oh-math.net/1.php
http://www.physicsoftheuniverse.com/topics_relativity_curved.html

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Orac
And this one will make your day, Revlgking
More than that, Orac: It also made my night laugh
BTW, is Orac your official name? Or is it the one you use here? And, what is your mother-tongue? Religion? Feel free not to tell us. Also, feel free to tell me: Mind your own business!

Being a lover of knowledge, I am just very curious about what makes people tick.

You go on:
Quote:
If we define a person's soul as an energy
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/24759/
We can transport energy across time and space.
You go on to say that science is coming back to the ideas of religion.

Orac, you mention soul "as an energy". Why not? Sounds like a good idea, to me.

Interestingly, for a logo, the Israeli airlines uses ELAL. EL comes from Hebrew. It is the root word for "the power, the energy" and also 'god'. The logo means "to the highest heights" (Genesis 1:1). AL is the root word in Arabic. ALLAH simply means, the one and only power.

MY IDEA OF RELIGION?
In my opinion, choosing to be bright, intelligent, moral, ethical, truth-loving, gentle, perceptive and people-serving scientists--ones who are not just interested in having power, fame and fortune--past and present, have been, and are, religious, in the best sense of the word. The same is true for positive religionists.

As a positive religionist, I have no right to demand that you trust me, just because I am ordained and ask you to trust me. It is up to me to win that trust by what I do. This was the basic message of Jesus: He never demanded that people give him blind obedience to "me and my church". He simply said--and I paraphrase--: Do to, and for, others--and expect them to do same in return--that which is moral, ethical and love-based.

PHILOSOPHY, RELIGION, SCIENCE, ART, POWER AND MONEY
Powerful words. As I understand them: philosophy, religion, science (ABOUT knowledge), religion (ABOUT wisdom--the use or abuse of knowledge), art (the application of knowledge), power (physical, mental and spiritual), and money are just servant-like tools.

In the hands of genuine, good-hearted and generous people--who I, as a religionist, call GOD-like people--such servant-like tools ought to be used to build of republics of GOD--ones ruled by secular laws, in which philosophy, religion, science, art, power and money are just that: servant-like tools--not dogmatic powers.

Even the best of powerful tools--for example, money--in the hands of disingenuous (insincere) mean-spirited, self-centered and greedy people will give us nothing but corrupt financial systems--Our media is full of such bad news in North America. How about Australia?--which are fear and greed-based. Such systems do not serve the common good.

Instead, they bring us famines that kill millions, and wars (usually started by criminal minds out for profit and power); dysfunctional families, riots in the streets, you know the story. You mention
Quote:
So, in some ways religion has been a bit harsh on science, which simply follows the truth wherever it leads and however uncomfortable it gets.
Religion harsh? Perhaps you mean, critical--like parents often are of their children. Religion, as I practice it, is never harsh--cruel, severe and without pity. I only speak out to be helpful and warn of dangers to come? Is that harsh?

BRIDGES BETWEEN SCIENCE AND RELIGION ARE EVEN NOW BEING BUILT
BTW, how many scientists are aware that there are a number of modern clergy who are also qualified scientists?
http://www.ordainedscientists.org/

In history, there were any number of ordained scientists. Just to name a very important few:
Copernicus, a monk. He was not just an astronomer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolaus_Copernicus
And who has not heard of Gregor Mendel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_Mendel

There also lay Christian scientists:
Galileo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_Galilei
Isaac Newton was a lay Christian--another man of many talents.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Newton
Speaking of physics, there was
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Planck
He was a German and Lutheran layman.

By the way, I certainly agree with you when you say
Quote:
There is a growing sense that the properties of the universe are best described not by the laws that govern matter but by the laws that govern information.

This appears to be true for the quantum world, is certainly true for special relativity, and is currently being explored for general relativity. Having a way to handle energy on the same footing may help to draw these diverse strands together.

Interesting stuff. There's no telling where this kind of thinking might lead.

Last edited by Revlgking; 08/12/11 11:09 PM. Reason: Always a good idea!

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Orac was a fictional computer in the TV series Blake's 7. To me it was a milestone in thoughts about computers and there relationship to humans because Orac was not the slave computer that obeyed humans nor was it the crazed computer out of control like HAL 9000 in a space odyssey. It was basically a box that knew pretty much everything but had this rather caustic personality and would even refuse to answer question that were to stupid. It was an interesting thing here was this box that could pretty much solve everything but chose not to out of ego, indifference and dislike for the stupid humans.

Nationality Tatar, from Uzbekistan, from the former USSR and there is something in the order I have written them :-)

My former masters would say my language is Russian although I speak a few other dialics much better and a Russian will tell you I speak Russian crassly. I was taught English as were most who showed aptitude in science although now living in an English speaking world it wasn't good enough :-)

Orac became my sort of hero because I would choose whether or not I would answer questions for my former masters as most of the politcal police where rather stupid.

I was given political asylum by Australia in 1996 and am a proud Australian citizen although I currently reside in USA because of my work. I really miss Australia and all my friends at ANU ... very home sick .. can you get homesick for a country you only call home for 10 years?

Religion was very discouraged in my upbringing whilst tolerated there was definite frowning upon.

My area of expertise is modelling astrophysics and particle and high energy physics.

I am slowly looking at religion but I find it very hard alot seem to want to grab you and brainwash you, I know that is probably harsh but from where I come from anyone trying to force you to "think this way" ... umm theres an expression ... gets my back up .. I think? I am reading a few books but alot of them are hard going ... one of my friends calls them "fire and brimstone" but it doesn't really make sense to me.

Well that I think covers me :-)

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Orac
Orac was a fictional computer in the TV series Blake's 7...

Nationality Tatar, from Uzbekistan, from the former USSR and there is something in the order I have written them :-)

Orac became my sort of hero ...

I was given political asylum by Australia in 1996 and am a proud Australian citizen ... I currently reside in USA because of my work....

Religion was very discouraged in my upbringing whilst tolerated there was definite frowning upon.

My area of expertise is modeling astrophysics and particle and high energy physics.

I am slowly looking at religion ... very hard. A lot seem to want to grab you and brainwash you, I know that is probably harsh but from where I come from anyone trying to force you to "think this way" ... umm theres an expression ... gets my back up ... I think?

I am reading a few books but a lot of them are hard going ... one of my friends calls them "fire and brimstone" but it doesn't really make sense to me...
Thank for the excellent summary of your journey, so far. Rest assured: While I respect the right of anyone to believe what they freely choose to believe, Fire-and-brimstone Christianity makes little sense to many open-minded Christians.

By the way, after studies and work experience in Canada I did some post graduate studies in theology at Boston University School of Theology--Liberal-thinking Methodists (1954--1955)--very open-minded to the sciences and to other open-minded forms of religion, not just Christian. I abhor and resent narrow religions that try to brain wash people. Thank GOD, there are those which do not.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Early in this thread I found:

Originally Posted By: Rede
That's nothing, Bill. When you reach Megastar they give you a limo and chauffeur.

Rede, how can I ever trust you again?

There never was nothing.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Still waiting Bill? Tut-tut. They must have got lost in the multiverse. Still, just think, somewhere out there is a chauffeur driven Bill S. Either that, or it's a serious case of time dilation.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I should have known there would be a get-out clause. frown

There never was nothing.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.