Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 396 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C

J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
Hi Count:

With all indications being what we are told we will use up all our nine lives before things go elsewhere it is a little difficult to get worked up about it.

The Solar System, I believe, has a shorter life cycle than the Universe and that is of more interest to me. I saw an article once (nameless now) that said, not sugested, that the Sun would eventually go into the enlarged state of a big red ball and incinerate the Earth by growing into our orbit. This enlargement is part of the Sun running out of fuel.

I wrote the source, or somehow contacted the persons, asking why that would happen if the size of the enlargement was due to less fuel wouldn't the Sun lose Mass in the process so that the Earth would have beeen slipping off into space with each instance of the diminished gravitation of the Sun meaning we would be farther away when the Sun went into a red giant.

I never got an answer and the details of the article source, or whatever, are very vauge now.

My question is whether the Solar System would expand as the Sun lost Mass equivelant to the loss of Mass over time? I have guesses only.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Sun turns to red giant.
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/death_of_earth_000224.html

Of particular interest is the following paragraph:
"As the sun burns its core of hydrogen, gravity will force a collapse. When compacted, the sun will heat up and burn the small amount of hydrogen that remains in a shell wrapped around the star's core. This will force the sun to expand into a red giant. Eventually, the core will heat up enough to burn stored helium and the sun will fluctuate in size before collapsing into a white dwarf."

I was guessing that as the sun lost mass/energy, it would lose mass, thereby decreasing density, but my guess was wrong.

Check out http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/971016.html
and even better
http://science.howstuffworks.com/sun5.htm

J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
TFF:
Thank you for the links.
Right on target.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.