Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 335 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
The standard model of Pangaea is False?

Imagine believing in a model of Earth, with one hemisphere being the continent of Pangaea and the opposite hemisphere being ocean.

Such an arrangement would be completely unbalanced with regards to the supposed spin axis of the time.

This model, that most believe in, is clearly fictional.

The Earth would spin erratically, and violently, until the spin axis lined up with the center of mass of Pangaea, which is somewhere in North-East Africa.

Small problem: There is no evidence that the rotational pole has ever been in North-East Africa.

Large problem: Before the spin axis can change, the mass of the equatorial bulge has to be redistributed to the new equator, i.e., billions of cubic kilometers of mass have to be moved to the new equatorial bulge and away from the old. This is no easy task and is the reason for the predicted violence of the change.

Some scientists have speculated that the stress caused by the spin axis moving toward a new balanced arrangement, caused the breakup of Pangaea.

However, most "scientists" quietly ignore this HUGE problem.

So, is the unbalanced nature of Pangaea really a problem for the model?

After composing the above I hunted for one of the references to scientists saying "that the stress caused by the spin axis moving toward a new balanced arrangement, caused the breakup of Pangaea." I couldn't be bothered typing out the whole section, so I just grabbed sentences here and there. The whole section does not read that well, so the isolated sentences won't either.

Don Anderson in his book "Theory of the Earth." writes;

"Page 70; Polar wander.

Because the Earth is a dynamic body, it is impossible to define a permanent internal reference frame....

The outer layers of the mantle, including the brittle lithosphere, do not fit properly on a reoriented Earth. Membrane stresses generated as plates move around the surface, or as the rotational bulge shifts, may be partly responsible for the breakup and dispersal of Pangea. In this scenario, true polar wandering and continental drift are intimately related. A long period of continental stability allows thermal and geoid anomalies to develop. A shift of the axis of rotation can cause plates to split....

Polar wandering can occur on two distinct time scales. In a slowly evolving mantle the rotation axis continuously adjusts to changes in the moments of inertia. This will continue to be the case as long as the major axis of inertia remains close to the rotation axis. If one of the other axes becomes larger, the rotation vector swings quickly to the new major axis....

The principal moments of inertia shown on a cusp catastrophe diagram. As the moments of inertia vary, due to convective processes in the interior, the pole will slowly wander unless the ratios of the moments x1, and x2, pass through unity, at which point a catastrophe will occur, leading to a rapid change in the rotation axis....

The interchange of moments of inertia, however, occurs more quickly, and a large-scale 90-degree shift can occur on a timescale limited only by the relaxation time of the rotational bulge.....

Thus, expanding the paradigm of continental drift and plate tectonics to include continental insulation and true-polar wandering may explain the paradoxes of synchronous global tectonic and magmatic activity, rapid breakup and dispersal of continents following long periods of continental stability,... (these are problems the average jock never hears about)

Curiously, Earth scientists have been more reluctant to accept the inevitability of true-polar wandering than to accept continental drift, even though the physics of the former is better understood. (the Earth scientists that refuse to accept polar wander know that it inevitably leads to a rejection of the official concept of Pangea)."

Don Anderson is a Professor (Emeritus) of Geophysics at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech).

At some point I will also start up a thread on this at my forum;

http://www.preearth.net/phpBB3/search.php?search_id=newposts

Last edited by preearth; 07/08/10 11:20 AM.

Earth formed from a collision
www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
www.preearth.net/plate.html
K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Instead of repeating your rant, why not answer the specific criticisms people have made against it?

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: kallog
Instead of repeating your rant, why not answer the specific criticisms people have made against it?

It appears to be you who rant.

No one has made any criticism.

I don't see any criticism. Do you see any criticism?

I think you imagine things.

-------------------

This thread evolved from the paper: "Did Earth coalesce from 2 medium sized planets?" at http://preearth.net/.

Last edited by preearth; 07/08/10 10:48 AM.

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Originally Posted By: preearth

I don't see any criticism. Do you see any criticism?

I think you imagine things.[/b]

Probably. I didn't actually read your post, only the title. I learnt the hard way that there's no point reading what you write because you ignore reasonable criticisms about it.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: kallog
I didn't actually read your post, only the title. I learnt the hard way that there's no point reading what you write because you ignore reasonable criticisms about it.

Still seeing imaginary criticism,...?

What drugs are you taking. They sound pretty interesting.

Oh, I see,....

Not interested enough to read the article.

Yet, sooooo interested that you feel you have to comment.

Of course, not about the article, cause you haven't read it,...

Last edited by preearth; 07/08/10 11:18 AM.

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Yep. A bit like you posting the same story in all different threads, yet not interested enough to respond to my replies.

I
I

And there you have it, folks. Proof-positive preearth is a liar. Here's the critisisms which have been pointed out to him, in several threads. He's not once had the balls to try and address them:

1) As his planets merge there is a tremendous change in gravitational potential energy - enough to make another moon, and liquefy the surface of the earth. Since energy is neither created or destroyed, that energy must be accounted for. Pre's model fails to do so.

2) Pre's assuming both planets were solid upon merger, and yet:
a) provides no physical model to explain how you could form solid planets of 0.5 earth masses within the known age of the solar system.
b) provides no physical model to explain how said solid planets could merge without fracturing the entirety of both planets.

3) Even if I give pre the benefit of liquid-core planets (i.e. reality), he ignores how liquid objects merge, and the impact that would have on the planetary surface (i.e. it would force your continents together, or suck them under, not drive them apart).

4) Pre's own energy calculations, based on binding energy, show that this collision should create more than enough heat to liquefy the entirety of the earth - 2000K average temp if I recall correctly. And yet pre claims the surface would be untouched - even though there is no physical mechanism which could produce such a state, given the impact is on the surface, and hence the heat is created largely on the surface.

5) Pre's model cannot explain the temperature gradient known to exist in the earths mantle.

6) Pre's model cannot explain the distribution of radionucleotides on the Atlantic sea floor. He claims the distribution of one - argon - is due to your collision, but fail to explain the half-dozen other radionucleotides which show the same distribution, but are non-gaseous and therefore cannot be explained with his model.

There have been other criticisms as well; those are just mine...

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: ImagingGeek

And there you have it, folks. Proof-positive preearth is a liar. Here's the critisisms which have been pointed out to him, in several threads. He's not once had the balls to try and address them:

What a total <snip>.

Wrong thread buddy. Can you even read?

The topic is the standard model of Pangaea.

Anyone who makes a comment like you have just done without even bothering to find out what the topic actually is,... is very silly.

You deserve to be called more than silly.

You understand? Can you read?

I truly wonder about your intelligence.

Your comment certainly shows where your priorities lie.

It clearly demonstrates that you couldn't care less about the science being discussed.

And that you are simply a propagandist.

Last edited by preearth; 07/08/10 01:51 PM.

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
I
I

[b]What a total <snip>.

But your counter-claim is your usually silly BS, which as we've pointed out before is a load of crap.

As is your above claim. Mass irregularities do not result in spinning objects changing their spin axis to align along a new center of mass. Rather, their axis of rotation stays the same (relative to the object), while the axis (and thus the object) undergo precession.

As with pangea, the earth today has an asymmetric distribution of the crust - notably across the equator, but also on the east-west axis. And, just as would have been the case with pangea, the earths axis precesses.

Hell, all kinds of insanely asymetric objects manage to rotate, without changing their axis of rotation. Take this example:

Bryan

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
[quote=preearth]

As I just told you, there's not much point reading your long-winded posts because most of them contain the same copy-and-paste stuff.

If you can't be bothered writing each post you make, then don't expect anyone to bother reading them.

P
OP Offline
P
But your counter-claim is your usually silly BS, which as we've pointed out before is a load of crap.

You're just a bald faced LIAR. Prove that you are not.

You claim that you (and others) have pointed out (that my counter-claim against the existence of Pangaea) is a load of crap.

So, quote the passage from scienceagogo.com where you supposedly debunk my counter-claim against the existence of Pangaea.

Then, produce a link to where you said it.

Since I have only made my claim against the existence of Pangaea this one time on scienceagogo.com, you will be proved to be the LIAR that you are. Not that you would care. Lying seems almost natural to you.

And,... I understand that you only wanted to say something nasty,... whether it was true, or not, was no concern.

As is your above claim. Mass irregularities do not result in spinning objects changing their spin axis to align along a new center of mass. Rather, their axis of rotation stays the same (relative to the object), while the axis (and thus the object) undergo precession.

As usual you are ignorant of all but the simplest facts regarding any topic you comment on.

"The largest known positive gravity anomaly on any planet is associated with the Tharsis volcanic province on Mars. Both geologic and gravity data suggest that the positive mass anomaly associated with the Tharsis volcanoes reoriented the planet with respect to the spin axis, placing the Tharsis region on the equator." Don Anderson, Professor (Emeritus) of Geophysics, Caltech.

You understand what this is saying; it says that there is strong evidence that the spin axis of Mars changed to have the mass anomaly (the Tharsis volcanoes) relocated to the (new) equator.

As with pangea, the earth today has an asymmetric distribution of the crust - notably across the equator, but also on the east-west axis. And, just as would have been the case with pangea, the earths axis precesses.

That the earths axis precesses is not at all clear. You saying it is true leads me to believe it probably isn't.

Hell, all kinds of insanely asymetric objects manage to rotate, without changing their axis of rotation. Take this example:

Really!?!?!? No joking?!?!?!?

Nobody said otherwise. However, your statement is totally irrelevant as you have (as usual) completely missed the point.

You often make true, but irrelevant, statements and somehow think they make your case.

There are certain axes around which an object, even an insanely asymmetric object, can rotate stably.

However, if the initial rotation is not stable, then axis of rotation will eventually change to a stable configuration.

Last edited by preearth; 07/25/10 11:43 AM.

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
Superstar
Superstar
You are not going to be tolerated if you continue to act uncivil. One more round of insulting posts and I will ban you.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
I think he should know by now that imagegeek is pumping
up his replies with irrelevant information , or filler.

he should do as most have learned to do and just ignore his replies as mostly irrelevant.

I would like to comment on the axis change portion however , mostly the entire planet does not shift its axis but the skin of a planet or its crust shifts because of newly aquired or distributed mass.

such as large volcanoes distributing huge amounts of mass onto the surface.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
I
I

You're just a bald faced LIAR. Prove that you are not.
So, quote the passage from scienceagogo.com where you supposedly debunk my counter-claim against the existence of Pangaea.

We've had whole threads on how your little "planet merger" is a physical impossibility. Its not like there is a single post debunking the whole thing, but rather dozens of posts.

While we're on the topic, you still haven't answered the basic criticisms of your model that I and others brought up, notably:

1) As your planets merge there is a tremendous change in gravitational potential energy - enough to make another moon, and liquefy the surface. Since energy is neither created or destroyed, that energy must be accounted for. Your model fails to do so.

2) You're assuming both planets were solid upon merger, and yet:
a) provide no physical model to explain how you could form solid planets of 0.5 earth masses within the known age of the solar system.
b) provide no physical model to explain how said solid planets could merge without fracturing the entirety of both planets.

3) Even if I give you the benefit of liquid-core planets (i.e. reality), you ignore how liquid objects merge, and the impact that would have on the planetary surface (i.e. it would force your continents together, or suck them under, not drive them apart).

4) Your own energy calculations, based on binding energy, show that your collision should create more than enough heat to liquefy the entirety of the earth - 2000K average temp if I recall correctly. And yet you claim the surface would be untouched - even though there is no physical mechanism which could produce such a state, given the impact is on the surface, and hence the heat is created largely on the surface.

5) Your model cannot explain the temperature gradient known to exist in the earths mantle.

6) You model cannot explain the distribution of radionucleotides on the Atlantic sea floor. You claim the distribution of one - argon - is due to your collision, but fail to explain the half-dozen other radionucleotides which show the same distribution, but are non-gaseous and therefore cannot be explained with your model.

Then, produce a link to where you said it.

Well, there is this thread, and this tread, and now this new one...

As usual you are ignorant of all but the simplest facts regarding any topic you comment on.

"The largest known positive gravity anomaly on any planet is associated with the Tharsis volcanic province on Mars. Both geologic and gravity data suggest that the positive mass anomaly associated with the Tharsis volcanoes reoriented the planet with respect to the spin axis, placing the Tharsis region on the equator." Don Anderson, Professor (Emeritus) of Geophysics, Caltech.

Two points:
1) We have direct observational data of unbalanced objects undergoing precession, verses shifting their rotational axis. I provided one such example in my last post, and

2) Most importantly, you're mis-quoting the claims of that papers authors. They do not claim the rotational axis of mars changed. What they do claim is the lithosphere (crust) of mars rotated relative to the mantle and rotational axis - as in the rotational axis remained the same, and the then-floating crust of mars moved relative to the mantle/axis of rotation - i.e. a Martian version of continental drift.

So your "counter claim" is a falsehood - the rotational axis of mars has not moved due to tharsis, but rather the crust has moved relative to the mantle and axis of rotation.

And just to show I'm not lying, here is the origonal study, and here is a laymans review of the paper.

You understand what this is saying;

Yep, but apparently you did not. LOL.

That the earths axis precesses is not at all clear. You saying it is true leads me to believe it probably isn't.

LOL, another mis-truth from pre-earth. Why is it you cannot make your case without mis-representing the actual data that has been widely published. Precession was directly observed more than 2000 years ago! We've quantified this precession to a huge degree of accuracy.

LOL, gotta love it - preearth doesn't "believe" in a scientific phenomena observed more than 2000 years ago, and one which is directly measurable by anyone with a telescope and a year or two of free time!

However, if the initial rotation is not stable, then axis of rotation will eventually change to a stable configuration.

Buzzt, sorry that answer is correct. Rotating objects have angular momentum. To change their axis of rotation means you must change their angular momentum. That can only be achieved with the application of an outside force.

Basic newtonian physics; I guess that's something else we can add to the list of basic scientific concepts you don't understand.

Bryan

I
I
Originally Posted By: paul
I think he should know by now that imagegeek is pumping up his replies with irrelevant information , or filler.

LOL, so direct evidence of my claims is now "irrelevant"?

I guess in kook world it would be - where evidence is blasphemy, and opinion is sacrosanct.

Bryan

P
OP Offline
P

Whatever did happen to ImagingGeek?

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Preearth, whatever happened to your interest in matters geological?

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Haha don't ever talk to me about flogging a dead horse :-)

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Preearth, whatever happened to your interest in matters geological?

I don't have a lot of time to spare.

www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
I don't have a lot of time to spare.

I know the feeling; but here's a suggestion. Transfer some time from Jews to geology; you can still stir people up with a bit of effort.

There never was nothing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.