Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 243 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#3456 10/24/05 02:48 PM
Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey Guys .I Should Do A Chemistry PROJECT ON THE TOPIC "SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT ".BUT I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE EXCEPT RDUSE REUSE AND RECYCLE.SO IF ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS OF MAKING A WORKING MODEL ON THAT TOPIC , REPLY ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE OR CONTACT ME AT hary812@yahoo.com Thank u

#3457 10/24/05 03:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Where's that post on converting turkey guts to biodiesel and water when you need it? Hary812, look back in the forum. I remember reading a post on making gasoline or diesel oil from organic wastes. It just might be right up your alley.

Does anyone recall the title of that thread?

#3458 10/24/05 03:32 PM
Y
Y
how about converting spent fuel from nuclear plants into inert building materials? not actually difficult in concept -- simply make a "glass" of the radioactive waste.

not a new idea, it's been done before. looks like obsidian only much much heavier. in fact, i use a lump of the stuff as a paperweight & conversation piece. the trick is to make the process economically feasible.

but surprisingly few people have heard of it. might get some bonus "eco-friendly" points for your project.

Bwa ha ha haaaa!!
#3459 10/24/05 03:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YAC--
Thanks for your contribution. How about finding a link to a paper or article on the glassification process and posting it as a new topic?

That paperwieght isn't radioactive, is it?

"Amaranth"

#3460 10/24/05 09:16 PM
Y
Y
I'll look for a link. Hooray for Google.

The lump is pretty much inert. Otherwise, I'd have developed some lumps of my own over the past couple years!

Bwa ha ha haaaa!!
#3461 10/24/05 09:23 PM
Y
Y
in the meantime, here's another glassification solution for the original poster to consider:

http://picturethis.pnl.gov/picturet.nsf/All/3RJV5A?opendocument

Bwa ha ha haaaa!!
#3462 10/24/05 09:41 PM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
"how about converting spent fuel from nuclear plants into inert building materials? not actually difficult in concept -- simply make a "glass" of the radioactive waste."

We might reuse some materials after they have been "glassified," but I don't think we'll be making "building materials" out of radioative waste. In this case the glassification just makes the waste disposal easier and less hazardous.

#3463 10/25/05 08:37 PM
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
1) Shred the input.

2) Magnet to recover ferrous alloys - cheap and easy though the net value is small.

3) Linear induction winding to recover other metal values. Aluminum is big profits; copper is worth the effort.

4) Flotation tanks to recover glass (break-even) and plastics (PET is good money; polyolefins are break-even; you want PVC absolutely excluded because it ruins reprocessing of everything else by its thermal dcomposition).

5) Burn the remains for electrical power to run the faclity and sell any excess as co-generation. Dump the ashes into fertilizer or concrete manufacture.

6) That leaves nothing at the rear for Enviro-whiners to scream about.

http://www.energy.ca.gov/etsr/50096006_CHAP08.PDF
Search for "Occidental Research Corporation" half way in. "Eco-fuel" (garboil) from pyrolyzed cellulostics was an amazing stupid idea - in the lab, in the pilot plant, in the finished facility. Ii was immiscible with fuel oil, it was loaded with allergenic aldehydes, and in the presence of 3% water it irreversibly crosslinked into a solid.

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
#3464 10/25/05 11:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY DNA LAB???
PLEAAAAAAAAAASE

#3465 10/26/05 03:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kasania:
We aren't here to do your home work. If there is some topic on DNA that you wish to discuss feel free to post it as a new topic. Otherwise you are off topic.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.