Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 646 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#3356 09/16/05 05:25 PM
E
OP Offline
E
I think it is highly plausible that an alien microbe that infiltrates earth could cause a biological chain reaction that destroys life on earth. In the future, we (NASA) should avoid bringing back samples from outer space. In fact, I think it should be tested in the space center before bringing it here.

What do you think?

#3357 09/17/05 05:14 PM
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
Quote:
I think it is highly plausible that an alien microbe that infiltrates earth could cause a biological chain reaction that destroys life on earth.
"Andromeda Strain" Michael Crichton, 1969 (fair book) and 1971 (poor moovie). Buncha crap. Anything ET that visits Earth gets eaten. PVC shower curtains get consumed - and that is with incorporated microbiocides.

Ya wanna worry about the sky falling? Viable microbes that have been isolated from the biome for 60+ million years infest deep South African gold mines, oil wells, and coal seams. Culturing extremophiles is a big business for PhD theses and commercial enzyme products. Do we bring any of that to the surface without due precautions?

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
#3358 09/18/05 09:58 PM
E
OP Offline
E
I have heard of the "Andromeda Strain" movie, but I did not see it. What if the microbes were contained in meteor rocks that hit earth? Possible, right?

Do you have any info/links on these dangerous microbes in South Africa?

#3359 09/18/05 11:19 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Edisonian wrote:
"I think it is highly plausible that an alien microbe that infiltrates earth could cause a biological chain reaction that destroys life on earth."

Based upon what? Your wild specualtion? Your lack of knowledge of biology? Your thought is preposterous on its face.

1. There is no evidence that alien microbes exist anywhere other than in science fiction.

2. There is no rational reason based on any known biochemistry that could account for what you assume even if they existed.

3. Everybody knows cockroaches are indestructible.

Too bad ignorance isn't.

DA Morgan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.