Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 352 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
j6p Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I don't know if the link copied properly. If it didn't, the article appears below.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/genetics/2005-09-08-brain-evolution_x.htm?csp=N007

Genes show signs brain still evolving
By Lauran Neergaard, The Associated Press
WASHINGTON - The human brain may still be evolving. So suggests new research that tracked changes in two genes thought to help regulate brain growth, changes that appeared well after the rise of modern humans 200,000 years ago.
That the defining feature of humans - our large brains - continued to evolve as recently as 5,800 years ago, and may be doing so today, promises to surprise the average person, if not biologists.
"We, including scientists, have considered ourselves as sort of the pinnacle of evolution," noted lead researcher Bruce Lahn, a University of Chicago geneticist whose studies appear in Friday's edition of the journal Science.
"There's a sense we as humans have kind of peaked," agreed Greg Wray, director of Duke University's Center for Evolutionary Genomics. "A different way to look at is it's almost impossible for evolution not to happen."
Still, the findings also are controversial, because it's far from clear what effect the genetic changes had or if they arose when Lahn's "molecular clock" suggests - at roughly the same time period as some cultural achievements, including written language and the development of cities.
Lahn and colleagues examined two genes, named microcephalin and ASPM, that are connected to brain size. If those genes don't work, babies are born with severely small brains, called microcephaly.
Using DNA samples from ethnically diverse populations, they identified a collection of variations in each gene that occurred with unusually high frequency. In fact, the variations were so common they couldn't be accidental mutations but instead were probably due to natural selection, where genetic changes that are favorable to a species quickly gain a foothold and begin to spread, the researchers report.
Lahn offers an analogy: Medieval monks would copy manuscripts and each copy would inevitably contain errors - accidental mutations. Years later, a ruler declares one of those copies the definitive manuscript, and a rush is on to make many copies of that version - so whatever changes from the original are in this presumed important copy become widely disseminated.
Scientists attempt to date genetic changes by tracing back to such spread, using a statistical model that assumes genes have a certain mutation rate over time.
For the microcephalin gene, the variation arose about 37,000 years ago, about the time period when art, music and tool-making were emerging, Lahn said. For ASPM, the variation arose about 5,800 years ago, roughly correlating with the development of written language, spread of agriculture and development of cities, he said.
"The genetic evolution of humans in the very recent past might in some ways be linked to the cultural evolution," he said.
Other scientists urge great caution in interpreting the research.
That the genetic changes have anything to do with brain size or intelligence "is totally unproven and potentially dangerous territory to get into with such sketchy data," stressed Dr. Francis Collins, director of the National Human Genome Research Institute.
Aside from not knowing what the gene variants actually do, no one knows how precise the model Lahn used to date them is, Collins added.
Lahn's own calculations acknowledge that the microcephalin variant could have arisen anywhere from 14,000 to 60,000 years ago, and that the uncertainty about the ASPM variant ranged from 500 to 14,000 years ago.
Those criticisms are particularly important, Collins said, because Lahn's testing did find geographic differences in populations harboring the gene variants today. They were less common in sub-Saharan African populations, for example.
That does not mean one population is smarter than another, Lahn and other scientists stressed, noting that numerous other genes are key to brain development.
"There's just no correlation," said Duke's Wray, calling education and other environmental factors more important for intelligence than DNA anyway.
The work was funded by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

S
S
This finding is no real suprise, and is easily explainable by blaming mothers (hehe). A young woman of beauty (what ever that is) has some leeway in choosing a mate, and will tend to choose a man who will be a good provider for her future family. The key is what is a good provider. One thousand years ago in Europe, a good provider would be someone built to be a warrior. This person had upward mobility and could rise above his birth station in life. Five hundred years ago, the trade skills provided upward mobility in Europe, so women started breeding for intelligence.

Now look at China where education was open to peseants who were bright enough to be able to be taught to read and write. The government needed scribes. So, upward mobility based on intelligence started much earlier in China, than in Europe.

Now the Politically incorrect conclusion. Upward mobility in Western Africa has been based on athletic ability (hunting) up to the last 100 years. Hence we have great athletes coming out of africa, but not the large numbers of great thinkers. Blame the mothers.

Sparky
R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
What's the big issue? Isn't it obvious that brains are still evolving? In fact, it is impossible for anything to stop evolving. Humans will mate and mutations will occur. This will continue till the brain has reached a plato and any change that may improve some features will degrade others. e.g. size increase decreases the processing speed. So that's natures part done. but then, humans may try to create brain networks or add a few circuits and chips to their brains. This is also evolution because humans will still be getting better adapted to the tasks they need to perform, the only difference is that these adaptions will rely more on humans than natural selection and gene mutations.

B
Superstar
Superstar
B
These are my humble thoughts on the subject and I will be happy to stand corrected - in fact I expect it....

Yes, I agree. There is no reason that I can see why the human brain should not be continually evolving - or more to the point - changing. I am not sure that it is evolving in the sense of the textbook definition (which implies development and a refining of an organism that makes it more suitable for its environment), but it will certainly be undergoing mutational changes - a few of which will not be regressive. But without a competetive environment conducive to elimination of those less fit, (stupid people breed as fast as the more intelligent, if not faster etc.), positive changes will not thrive as well, and may in fact only propagate a population by interbreeding. This means that changes may still happen but at a much slower rate and the resultant evolutionary change is more likely to be limited to smaller populations than previously (I am less sure about this though). Although cross-cultural relationships are increasingly more common.

In fact, thinking about it, any mutational changes that are viable but actually diminish the effectiveness of the brain may still be supported and carried into the gene pool by interbreeding, because there is no effective mechanism for killing such people off unless they were so hideously ugly or socially unacceptable that they could find no one to mate with:)

Is it really possible that a civilised race of beings could devolve as well as evolve?

But again this is not entirely correct, as even slightly adverse changes in perceptive powers may make people more prone to accidents, car crashes etc.

I don't know whether I agree that the brain can ever reach a plateau - I think this may be a little short-sighted - there may be a whole raft of ways (in theory) in which our thinking ability or perception may be improved or new functions appear, if the environmental circumstances allowed. But in line with my previous statements, I would agree that the only way future generations will see significant development in the functions of the brain from now on, will be through our own ingenuity.

I suppose that if anything catastrophic happens to our environment (such as massive climate change triggering a mini ice age) then we will see further significant development in line with punctuated equilibria.

I would be interested to see what someone who really knows what they are talking about makes of this.

Regards,

Blacknad.

R
Ric Offline
R
Hmmm... I too dont really understand what the fuss about this is. It had never occured to me that we might have reached a "Pinacle of evolution"... of course we are still evolving. The fact that this comes as a surprise to anyone is yet another example of man's arrogance.

"The first Human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." -Sigmund Freud

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.