Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
The following is an essay about the fabric of space itself. In this essay, I have taken a logical approach and used acceptable assumptions to make conclusions about the fabric of space. Because this is more of an essay, and less to do with the mathematics of physics, it should probably be put in the general science section. However, I have a couple of other theories based on this model of space which I would like to introduce later. That is why I have put it in the physics forum. Please let me know what you think, whether or not you agree with whats being said and why, and also any suggestions to improve this essay:

In all my writings, I will first specify the assumptions I will be using and why I make these assumptions. A general concluding paragraph will unite these assumptions and make claims based on them. A final review paragraph will briefly state what the concluding paragraph claims.

Assumption #1: For anything to move from one place to another there must be a medium through which it can move
When electrons move in a wire as a current, they jump from atom to atom and the wire becomes the medium for electricity. When ions in a solution move, they move through water. It is safe to assume, that anything that moves from one place to another must move in a medium, no matter how small or large.

Assumption #2: There exists some link between all objects of the universe.
The earth and the moon can feel each other’s pull. The same can be said about the sun, other stars, galaxies, black holes etc. The amount of pull each body feels is governed by an equation. Therefore, there must be something which exists between these bodies which allows them to feel each other. None of these bodies (as far as we know) are omnipotent, yet they behave in a very predictable way. Therefore, they must exchange some sort of matter or energy which lets them feel and pull each other.

Assumption 3: Assumption 1 combined with Assumption 2
For this matter/energy (which causes gravitation) to move from one body to another, there must be a medium through which it can move. Even though we do not see or feel (experimentally) anything between Pluto and the Sun, the Sun pulls Pluto towards itself. This cannot happen unless some matter/energy which caused gravitation was given out by both these objects and traveled to the other object. In order to travel, it needs a medium (Assumption 1). Therefore, there exists a medium throughout all space which allows matter and energy to move.

Assumption 4: This medium can be viewed as a collection of many points
All mediums such as water and air are made up of smaller continuous points next to each other. It is safe to assume that the fabric of space is made up of such small points next to each other.

Assumption 5: All matter is made of energy. There exists a smallest amount of energy which is the building block of all matter and energy.
According to Einstein’s theory, E = mc2, all types of matter can be directly converted to energy. The linear relationship between the two leads me to think that matter is nothing more than extremely condensed energy. Matter may not be directly made from energy; for example, fermions are not composed of bosons. However, I would feel safe assuming that the units which make the fermions also make the bosons. In the search for a universal theory of everything, it is safe to assume that everything is in the end made up of the same thing. If you do not agree with the fact that everything is made of the same basic particle, I can understand why. This assumption is pushing the limit; however, this assumption is not required for the rest of my theory to work. It simply helps understand how matter may indeed be made of energy. You can simply assume that matter is made of energy as proven by Einstein.

Assumption 6: The purpose of these points in the space fabric is to hold energy
As already seen from assumption 3, the only reason for such a medium to exist is to explain the movement of matter and energy. Since all matter is made of energy (Assumption 5), we can assume that the points in the space fabric simply hold and transfer energy.

Assumption 7: All points in the space matrix are the same
There is no reason to believe that two points in a given matrix can be different. We could also assume that not all points are same, that some points may hold more energy than other points, but that would lead us to question why they do and what makes them. This can in turn only be explained by further claiming that these points are in turn made of something smaller, with the point holding more energy having more of this smaller object. Instead, think of these points as the smallest possible existence. Since they are the smallest and there is nothing smaller than them, they must all be uniform in the way they act and the amount of energy they hold.

Conclusion: Space is made of a collection of extremely small identical points which hold energy. These points form a 3 dimensional matrix which is the fabric of space. This matrix will from now on be referred to as the Universal Matrix. Imagine a two dimensional matrix:

www.geocities.com/shahkevat/2points.bmp
*Note, P1 and P2 are objects of mass, which are discussed in the paragraph below.

Now imagine these points being the smallest possible points of existence and spread uniformly in 3 dimensions. This makes up the Universal matrix. The purpose of these points is to hold energy. Each point can hold only a certain amount of energy. This corresponds to the smallest unit of energy which will ever be found. According to the Universal Matrix theory, it is not possible to have energy smaller than that. The exact structure and nature of these points will be discussed later. This structure of the Universal Matrix is extremely important to remember as it will form the basis of many future hypotheses. Energy jumps from one point to another in order to move. When many of these adjacent points are occupied by energy, they form matter. The exact pattern of occupation of these points by different elements of energy and matter differ. For example, a photon could be spiral points of energy which are occupied and matter could be a solid cube (as represented by P1 and P2 in the picture above). Please note that the spiral and cube are just mentioned here as examples. These are not claims about the actual structures of photons and matter. The possible structures for different known particles will also be discussed based on simple assumptions.

Review: The space fabric consists of infinitely small points which hold energy and across which energy can move. Matter corresponds to a high amount of energy being stored in a small amount of adjacent points.

Last edited by Kevat Shah; 03/18/08 01:47 AM.

- Kevat Shah
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Here are some answers from the perspective of current knowledge and theory (as far as I know it, that is), with regard to your points:

(1) The medium is spacetime.

(2) The masses tend to fall toward each other because they each cause spacetime to curve, in what is called a 'gravity well'. What is predictable, and what the equations describe, is the curvature of spacetime. For this reason, there is no theoretical need for an exchange of matter between the objects.

(3) As noted in (2) there's no need for matter to move between the bodies, therefore there's no need for a medium (other than spacetime). What occurs is not the movement of matter, but the propagation of gravitational fields, at velocity c. What we feel between Sol and Jupiter is the effect of being at our particular location within the same gravity well.

(4) As the above points clarify, there's no theoretical requirement for a physical medium such as air or water.

(5) Yes, matter and energy are different manifestations of the same - which may, or may not, be vibrating strings.

(6) There's no theoretical need for the existence of a medium other than spacetime.

(7) This assumption is based upon your previous incorrect assumptions.

[b] There is a universal matrix: spacetime (which possibly includes many 'rolled-up' dimensions).

Your review is quite parallel with current theory, despite the divergences in the previous points. Spacetime and energy are quantized (planck length, planck time, planck energy) although these are not infinitely small. And matter does "correspond to a high amount of energy being stored in a small amount of adjacent points" - even though there's no need for these points to comprise a medium other than spacetime.

Note:

"In a field model, rather than two particles attracting each other, the particles distort spacetime via their mass, and this distortion is what is perceived subjectively as a "force". In fact there is no force in such a model, rather matter is simply responding to the curvature of spacetime itself."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_field

OP Offline
Most of your rebuttals are based on the following assumption:

The masses tend to fall toward each other because they each cause spacetime to curve, in what is called a 'gravity well'. What is predictable, and what the equations describe, is the curvature of spacetime. For this reason, there is theoretical no need for an exchange of matter between the objects.

You say that these masses cause space time to "curve". First, what exactly is space-time and how does it curve? You can deduce it mathematically, but can you explain the rationale behind the mathematical results? Second, and more importantly, how does this matter make spacetime curve?? Once again, space-time itself isnt omnipotent, yet it curves in a mathematical fashion! For example, spacetime near pluto is curved by the sun. How is this spacetime curved by sun?? Because spacetime isn't omnipotent and it cant know the mass of the sun and its distance from the sun, we can assume that the sun must emit something which reaches the spacetime near Pluto and makes it curve accordingly. For example, if the Sun were to emit a gravitron, and the gravitron were to in turn cause the space time to curve, it would explain how spacetime so far from the sun is curved in such a mathematical way. If there is another way in which spacetime can be curved by sun that you can think of let me know. But simply stating that spacetime is curved by the sun is simply giving a cause, and not the reason behind it.

As for the comment that the medium is spacetime and that no matrix of points is neccesary, this matrix of points IS spactime; it represents a possible stucture of spacetime. This essay is making claims about what spacetime should look like at its smallest level based on simple assumptions.

I would like to correct one mistake, I did not mean to to say infintely small, but extremely small, which will correspond to the smallest unit of energy to be ever found.

Once again I understand that the curvature of space time causes gravity. But what causes that curvature? And what exactly is space time? These are the questions being answered by this essay.

- Kevat Shah
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
It's important for you to note that these are not my rebuttals but, as I indicated at the start, the rebuttals of existing theory and knowledge. I have not studied physics to the extent that I can support the theories. If, however, you want to know how such things can be, or you wish to refute them, then you need to study a great deal of very high level maths and physics. If you cannot base your theory on the result of such study, then what you write will be deemed pseudoscience.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.