Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#22153 06/17/07 05:03 AM
samwik Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Happy Saturday Night:

At the risk of crossing the line....
...feel free to move this to NQSci. smile

...but seriously....
*_*

The Dimension of Intention:
my space-based conceptual model of mass and energy.

"c "

It's not the speed of light; it's the speed of space.
...and by "speed of space," I mean:
The speed at which space "cracks," or fissures, to admit the transmittal of resonance from one area (an atom) to another area (another atom).

Empty space we could call null space, though it still has structure to be warped (...more later).

Mass (atoms) is just an area, of highly warped and convoluted dimensions (dependent on "atomic number"). Each element (convoluted structure) would have it's own unique resonances.

...because....
Energy levels of an atom would correspond to different structures, conformations of the folded dimensions. Each different atomic # would be a basic unique folding of dimensions, with a heirarchy of conformations attainable as "energy" is added.

"Energy" would be the changes in conformations in other regions of space (other atoms) that must harmonize with any receiver of the energy (first atom). As a region changes, other regions must adapt (at the speed at which space adjusts).

Given the fractal nature of dimensions and their horizons (and of the "lines" of "force" between them), all these discrete regions are touching (across null space).

This last sentence is the (...more later) part, (null space is really just a gradient between mass, "emptier," and other mass); and explains gravity (and expansion). Gravity and "null space," re: graphic of contour-colored, telescoping Mandelbrot sets and Fractals.

google: colorized mandelbrot sets -no quotes.
...or....

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mandelbrot_set

:scroll down to: The zooming movies (#'s 03, 04, & 15) are great.

...then take two aspirin and call back later.

~ProfSA

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Hey, samwik, it looks like you had to wait for a Saturday night to produce that one grin

A heap of questions:

"It's...The speed at which space "cracks," or fissures, to admit the transmittal of resonance from one area (an atom) to another area (another atom)."

(1) "transmittal of resonance". Do you mean this to be a noun, or do you mean "transmission"?
(2) What's the nature of this 'resonance'? (electromagnetic? gravitational?)
(3) What's the source of this 'resonance'? (strings?)

'It's not the speed of light; it's the speed of space...The speed at which space "cracks," or fissures.'

(4) What are the space "cracks"? (Hyperspace?)
(5) In this hypothesis, are space and time a 'spacetime' continuum?
(6) Re: (5), does time also "crack"? (If so, "spacetime cracks" is more apt)
(7) Do you see a relationship between the space "cracks" and the expansion of space?

"Energy levels of an atom would correspond to different structures, conformations of the folded dimensions. Each different atomic # would be a basic unique folding of dimensions, with a heirarchy of conformations attainable as "energy" is added"

(8) That's M-Theory isn't it?

"Given the fractal nature of dimensions"

(9) Interesting. See quote below ***. Note: since you've replaced the speed of light with the 'speed of space', how would you define the Planck length?

"Given the fractal nature of dimensions and their horizons (and of the "lines" of "force" between them), all these discrete regions are touching (across null space)."

(10) Can you clarify the connection between "the fractal nature of dimensions" and "discrete regions are touching"? (I notice you said "more later)

(11) Does "across null space", mean the same as "via hyperspace"?

"This last sentence is the (...more later) part, (null space is really just a gradient between mass, "emptier," and other mass); and explains gravity (and expansion)"

(12) How does it explain gravity?

(13) How does it explain expansion?

(14) Can you say more about "null space"? Googling just took me to some weird and wonderful algebra.

I need more than your prescribed aspirin. grin
____

*** The Planck length and Planck time are, theoretically, the smallest measurable units of spacetime (a case of cosmic censorship?). They don't necessarily represent real limits:

"Ignoring a factor of Pi, the Planck mass is roughly the mass of a black hole with a Schwarzschild radius equal to its Compton wavelength. The radius of such a black hole would be, roughly, the Planck length.

The following thought experiment illuminates this fact. The task is to measure an object's position by bouncing electromagnetic radiation, namely photons, off it. The shorter the wavelength of the photons, and hence the higher their energy, the more accurate the measurement. If the photons are sufficiently energetic to make possible a measurement more precise than a Planck length, their collision with the object would, in principle, create a minuscule black hole. This black hole would "swallow" the photon and thereby make it impossible to obtain a measurement. A simple calculation using dimensional analysis suggests that this problem arises if we attempt to measure an object's position with a precision greater than one Planck length.

This thought experiment draws on both general relativity and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle of quantum mechanics. Combined, these two theories imply that it is impossible to measure position to a precision greater than the Planck length, or duration to a precision greater than the time a photon moving at c would take to travel a Planck length. Hence in any theory of quantum gravity combining general relativity and quantum mechanics, traditional notions of space and time will break down at distances shorter than the Planck length or times shorter than the Planck time."

http://www.answers.com/topic/planck-time

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
samwik Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Originally Posted By: redewenur
Hey, samwik, it looks like you had to wait for a Saturday night to produce that one grin

A heap of questions:

"It's...The speed at which space "cracks," or fissures, to admit the transmittal of resonance from one area (an atom) to another area (another atom)."

(1) "transmittal of resonance". Do you mean this to be a noun, or do you mean "transmission"?
(2) What's the nature of this 'resonance'? (electromagnetic? gravitational?)
(3) What's the source of this 'resonance'? (strings?)
Yes, I think, as a noun. I was thinking of EM radiation, light; not gravity. As for the source, I'm just describing normal EM radiation (EMR); the usual sources, though I do describe it as "changes in the conformation of other regions." (which are themselves changed by the changes in conformaton of other regions, ad infinitum, which are changed by the hand of the experimenter)

'It's not the speed of light; it's the speed of space...The speed at which space "cracks," or fissures.'

(4) What are the space "cracks"? (Hyperspace?)
hmmmm. Good question. Subspace would be my flip answer, but I think i can relate it more to the fractals rather than some other spacetype. I'll save that one for later (how optimistic).
(5) In this hypothesis, are space and time a 'spacetime' continuum?
Ah, yes thanks! I do mean spacetime, definitely. Whoops, now I'm not so sure. I mean spacetime when talking about the "null space." Usually I refer to folded dimensions or areas, rather than space, when I'm talking about atoms and EMR; and I'm not so sure time does apply in those regions (maybe it only applies relativistically?)(if that even makes sense).
(6) Re: (5), does time also "crack"? (If so, "spacetime cracks" is more apt)
Yep, yep; thanks!
(7) Do you see a relationship between the space "cracks" and the expansion of space?
Y'know, at first I was going to say no; but actually that makes so much more sense. It leads to the idea that entropy causes expansion, in my fevered brain.
{What's the old joke? Maybe if we'd stop observing the universe, it'd stop expanding!}
...and gravity comes from the endpoints of the fissures.

"Energy levels of an atom would correspond to different structures, conformations of the folded dimensions. Each different atomic # would be a basic unique folding of dimensions, with a heirarchy of conformations attainable as "energy" is added"
(8) That's M-Theory isn't it? Wow, really? Maybe that's a good sign? I read a lot about relativity back in '05 and some about string theories and one or two things about M-theory. In '06 I read stuff about different kinds of space, higher dimensions and conformal field theories. I don't know anything about string or M theories, but just from studying relativity I could see that the problem was with our conception of space (spacetime).

"Given the fractal nature of dimensions"
(9) Interesting. See quote below ***. Note: since you've replaced the speed of light with the 'speed of space', how would you define the Planck length?
Sorry, I can't think of any answer to that. But that is intriguing. Maybe more later...maybe.

"Given the fractal nature of dimensions and their horizons (and of the "lines" of "force" between them), all these discrete regions are touching (across null space)."
(10) Can you clarify the connection between "the fractal nature of dimensions" and "discrete regions are touching"? (I notice you said "more later)
...and this was the "more later," plus "null space is really just a gradient between mass, "emptier," and other mass."
I'll add....
The density, or topographic gradient shown "emanating" from the Mandelbrot sets, corresponds to the "structure of spacetime." The gradient between two Mandelbrot sets would be "null space." By null space, I just mean normal empty 3-D spacetime, I think.

(11) Does "across null space", mean the same as "via hyperspace"?
No, if your hyperspace is my subspace. The cracks are outside of null space, but do cause null space to "move aside" and adjust. When I said a gradient across null space, I meant within, or 'of' null space. In fact null space doesn't exist except as an artifact of the gradient created by the horizon of the Mandelbrot set (if you could equate mass with the Mandelbrot set).
"This last sentence is the (...more later) part, (null space is really just a gradient between mass, "emptier," and other mass); and explains gravity (and expansion)"
(12) How does it explain gravity?
(13) How does it explain expansion?
I kinda alluded to these two above; and I need a break now. I'm doing #13 last (except for the thought exp. below).

(14) Can you say more about "null space"? Googling just took me to some weird and wonderful algebra.
Yea, sorry. I just made that term up; as I said, "we could call null space." I know it's a big math term (and Revl's symbol too!); but I had no intention to make those associations. It was mainly to give it the status befitting an artifact.
____

*** The Planck length and Planck time are, theoretically, the smallest measurable units of spacetime (a case of cosmic censorship?). They don't necessarily represent real limits:

"Ignoring a factor of Pi, the Planck mass is roughly the mass of a black hole with a Schwarzschild radius equal to its Compton wavelength. The radius of such a black hole would be, roughly, the Planck length.

The following thought experiment illuminates this fact. The task is to measure an object's position by bouncing electromagnetic radiation, namely photons, off it. The shorter the wavelength of the photons, and hence the higher their energy, the more accurate the measurement. If the photons are sufficiently energetic to make possible a measurement more precise than a Planck length, their collision with the object would, in principle, create a minuscule black hole. This black hole would "swallow" the photon and thereby make it impossible to obtain a measurement. A simple calculation using dimensional analysis suggests that this problem arises if we attempt to measure an object's position with a precision greater than one Planck length.

This thought experiment draws on both general relativity and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle of quantum mechanics. Combined, these two theories imply that it is impossible to measure position to a precision greater than the Planck length, or duration to a precision greater than the time a photon moving at c would take to travel a Planck length. Hence in any theory of quantum gravity combining general relativity and quantum mechanics, traditional notions of space and time will break down at distances shorter than the Planck length or times shorter than the Planck time."

Again, I'll have to think about this Plank stuff.
I did jot down a couple of thoughts earlier when I first read your post:

...very random thoughts....
We cannot measure things such as this; we can only "be" them.
We have met them, and they is us! ~Pogo (almost)

re: can't measure things smaller than your tool (your metric). ...smaller than your TOOL! LOL -shut UP, Beavis!

But what if we measure the things around it; that "determine" it? ...no; no difference

Thanks for the reply, Rede. I'm no physisist, but I do enjoy thinking about this stuff. I've had these ideas about space and mass (and vague gravity/expansion stuff), but yesterday it just all came together in a sort of mini-epiphany, while thinking about absorption and re-radiation of energy (GW-CO2 stuff).

Regardless of "my model," I do think that it is important to try and incorporate (or substitute) fractals into our linear metrics, if we want to unify all this stuff.

Thanks again,
~SA

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Thanks for taking the time to reply to that lot. I don't have much of a clue about the physics, but I welcome ideas such as yours; mainly, I suppose, because I had one of those odd-ball experiences that prove to me, beyond doubt, that there are phenomena related to spacetime/consciousness that cannot be accounted for within the limitations of current theory. The important thing is that the conjecture begins from the known facts. Yes, it's tentative, because science has only just begun to investigate spacetime, consciousness, rolled-up dimensions etc., but it stimulates the imagination and demands that we swat up on the known facts and theories.

Originally Posted By: samwik
(8) That's M-Theory isn't it? Wow, really? Maybe that's a good sign? I read a lot about relativity back in '05 and some about string theories and one or two things about M-theory. In '06 I read stuff about different kinds of space, higher dimensions and conformal field theories. I don't know anything about string or M theories, but just from studying relativity I could see that the problem was with our conception of space (spacetime).

"The current problem which is dominating theoretical physics... is the fact that the laws of physics we see, according to string theory, are a result of the specific configuration of the extra dimensions of space. So you have three ordinary dimensions, that we're aware of, and then there are supposed to be six more dimensions in string theory, which are curled up in a tiny little ball. At every point in our world there would be another six dimensions, but twisted up in a tiny little knot." - NEIL TUROK holds the Chair of Mathematical Physics in the department of applied mathematics and theoretical physics at Cambridge University.

So, in string theory, the laws of physics are determined by the configuration of the extra dimensions, and the various waves/particles/energies are manifestations of the harmonics of the strings. The dimensions call the tune and the strings play it... smile

Keep that intuition burning, samwik.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.