Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 612 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21
M
OP Offline
M
I usually go by the screen name teacher.

What? I've a drawing I want here. How I do that?
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Thanks for another entertaining post. Just a few points:-

The current estimate for the age of the universe is 13.7 billion years.

The Big Bang started without any matter - it was too hot, so there was only energy. The matter could form only after expansion had begun.

"Now they say we might just barely be able to see the edge of our universe"

- The universe has no edge, but the observable universe does. That's not a limitation of observation technology. We can observe only that part of the universe from which light has had time to travel, i.e., within a distance of about 13.7 billion lt.yrs.

"I say our visible universe is just one spot on our ball"

- Yes, so do the experts. It's estimated that the actual size of the universe is at least 156 billion lightyears.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/mystery_monday_040524.html

"The outside edge of our universe would have to be travelling faster than the inside edge."

- The Big Bang started from an infinitely small point, in an infinitely dense state. So, the Big Bang happened everywhere. So, there is no centre, i.e., no one place where the Big Bang happened - it happened everywhere; and there is no edge. On large scales, matter is mutually receding a rate proportional to the separation distance.

"All the mass gets hurled out at the same velocity"

- No, it doesn't. The Big Bang was not like a conventional explosion. Matter was not ejected 'through' space. Space itself expanded. This expansion caused wavelengths to stretch and temperature to fall. This allowed matter to form. Since space was expanding, matter was separated by ever increasing distance, except where that was prevented by gravity, the electroweak force and the strong force. There is no single point in the universe from which all else is receding. The whole universe was that 'point'; so, the velocity of any object can be measured not in relation to a point of origin 'within' the universe, but only relative to another object, and these velocities, on the large scale, increase with distance.

"All moving away from the centre at pretty much the same speed. Leaving the middle empty, and the empty center growing larger as the material expands"

- The material doesn't expand, only the space.

- Studies of the large scale (observable) universe show that the distribution of matter is regular, i.e., the universe is homogenous and isotropic, throughout. There is no 'middle' and, on the large scale, there is no empty region:

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~colbert/lecturecosmoI.htm

"So, the egg heads came up with something called dark matter"

- They didn't just "come up with it". The evidence for it is very strong, since it's effects are observable in the rotation of galaxies and in gravitational lensing.

"They theorised this dark matter is "pushing" matter away."

- No, they didn't do that. I think you're confusing "dark matter" with "dark energy"

From: http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/dark-energy.html

"In an article titled "The Cosmic Triangle: Revealing the State of the Universe," which appears in the May 28, 1999 issue of the journal Science, a group of cosmologists and physicists from Princeton University and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory survey the wide range of evidence which, they write, "is forcing us to consider the possibility that some cosmic dark energy exists that opposes the self-attraction of matter and causes the expansion of the universe to accelerate." "

"In physics we have 4 known forces. weak and strong nuclear, electronegativity and gravity"

- You mean "electromagnetic". True, but these days we often find the term 'electroweak' applied as a unified description of electromagnetism and the weak interaction, because current theory models them as two different aspects of the same force.

"A pushing force is not really in the mix here"

- Not entirely true. Like magnetic poles repel each other, and like charges also repel. For example, protons repel each other (by electrostatic repulsion) and are held together only by the strong force (from mesons). Furthermore, it's accepted that the standard model of physics is an approximation of reality, so there's room for new discoveries.

"Quasars are the force that is pulling our universe apart"

- Quasars are not actually at the edge of the universe, nor is their gravitational force significant. Among all the 100,000,000,000 galaxies, only 100,000 quasars have yet been discovered. The consensus is that they are super-massive black holes within a halo of matter. Their distance (therefore, their age) is consistent with the theory that they are proto-galaxies, as is the fact that they exhibit many of the same properties as active galaxies (those containing just such a super-massive black hole). The theory is:- primordial gas cloud >> black hole >> quasar >> active galaxy.

Marchimedes, thanks for making me think about these things. I've had to check a few facts, and I'm sure I learned something in the process! smile

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
Megastar
Megastar
This should probably be on the physics forum (or NQSci.), but....

I'll begin at the end.
[Hey, cool! Now I see how your post works (...that I can't cut n' paste from it)].

So you end with acceleration due to getting our mass closer to the quasers?
I think observations show their getting farther away.
But that could still be due to expansion from the original explosion, I guess.

There's a couple of points early on in your idea that are open to discussion, i.e. "the center," and "explosion;" but I'll respond more generally based on your statement, 'It makes no sense logically or common sense-wise; so I'm gonna stick with what's known'.

Hey, even relativity is counter-intuitive.

Overall I'd say it's fairly impossible to construct a viable model based on 3-dimensional, inside the box vs. outside the box, kind of thinking.

If you think of our familiar spacetime as being only one dimension, and then think of the "Forces" as being other dimensions, intercalating in a fractal manner with "our" dimension; then you'll get beyond problems like "the "center" of the universe being in every direction that you can look."

Hey! Google "fractals" for a beautiful little journey.
...or try "anti deSitter space"
http://www.hawking.org.uk/lectures/nut.html
for a look at higher dimensional spaces

...and there's books like,

The landscape of theoretical physics : a global view : from point particles to the brane world and beyond in search of a unifying principle/ by Matej Pavsic.

Physics meets philosophy at the Planck scale : contemporary theories in quantum gravity / edited by....

Parallel worlds : a journey through creation, higher dimensions, and the future of the cosmos / Michio Kaku.

Also I'd suggest you browse back through some of the different topics on the Physics Forum. There is some great stuff!

I'd also love to get your fresh perspective on some of the Climate Change Forum topics.
For instance:

That is why the oceans seem so important to me. If we're going to "invest" in something to soak up CO2, why not put it where the byproduct would be food. Maybe I'm too optimistic about the oceans ability to soak up CO2, but isn't it orders of magnitude greater than anything we could produce?
-Converting CO2 to fuel #20702

It sounds as if someone could make a lot of money sequestering CO2 in this way.
Well, I'm trying to say that this process (in general) might be better at saving the planet than just cutting CO2 emissions (though that's important too).
-Peat Bogs to solve Warming? #21338

Overall, my thought is that it'd be easier to soak up CO2 rather than cut emissions; and we'd be increasing our food supply and net diversity at the same time.
p.s. ...cutting emissions is also good, but...it'll be too slow; look at the numbers.
-Peat Bogs to solve Warming? #21470

It's a complex problem, and there are lots of "positions" with their advocates; but that makes it more fun!

Keep on keepin' on....

~Samwik

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
-------------------------------------------------------
The Big Bang started without any matter
-------------------------------------------------------

how would you accomplish that feat?

are you saying there was nothing except energy?
and if so then could I ask what was the catalist for the energy expansion?

in my world energy cannot exist without matter.

after all if a particle is charged (-) or (+) it is still a particle correct?

how can a nothing hold a charge?

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Hi Paul

[The Big Bang started without any matter]
"How do you accomplish that feat?"
I don't. I don't have the slightest clue how it can be.

"are you saying there was nothing except energy?"
Yes. Well, at least, that's what the Big Bang theorists are saying...

"in my world energy cannot exist without matter."

We have to remember that, since Einstein's E=mc^2 (and notably, since the atomic bomb) it's been known that matter and energy are two sides of the same coin. Note also:

"Physicists at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC) in California have succeeded in producing particles of matter from very energetic collisions of light. The team, which included researchers from Stanford University, the University of Rochester in New York, the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, and Princeton University in New Jersey, published an account of their work in the September 1, 1997, issue of the journal Physical Review Letters." Microsoft ® Encarta ® 2006. © 1993-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

The initial conditions in the Big Bang, prior to 10^-43s (the Planck Epoch), are unknown, because the known laws of physics could not have applied. After that time (for an instant) there was only energy in the form of photons. As space expanded, temperature dropped and some of the photons became quarks. As temperature dropped more, quarks formed protons and neutrons (baryogenesis). Eventually, the lightest elements - hydrogen, helium, and lithium - formed.

The theory says that there were almost equal amounts of matter and antimatter, and all the matter in this unbelievably immense universe is just the minute fraction (one billionth) that wasn't involved in the mutual annihilation with antimatter.

http://livefromcern.web.cern.ch/livefromcern/antimatter/academy/AM-travel02.html

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/gr/public/bb_history.html#qc

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
"Physicists at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC) in California have succeeded in producing particles of matter from very energetic collisions of light."

I havent read this yet but I speculate that the particles that were produced were already there in another form of matter.

you cannot create matter all that is here has always been here in some form or another.

I think I will wait on this one and see what the final report says in instance.

it may be that , and this is just my opinion or conjecture , that the light used borrowed matter from the device itself.

you cannot create energy or matter or anything.
you may only change its various forms.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
"you cannot create matter all that is here has always been here in some form or another."
"you cannot create energy or matter or anything.
you may only change its various forms."

What you mean, of course, is that the sum of energy+matter remains constant.

In the 19th century matter and energy were thought of as two entirely different concepts. For almost a century, now, it's been known that such a distinction was erroneous, and by the end of 20th century, not only had matter been converted to energy, but energy had been converted to matter. It wouldn't surprise me to find that a great many kids leave school without knowing this, such is the sad state of science education in some parts of the world.

Here's one of many reports on the conversion of energy to matter:

http://www.skybooksusa.com/time-travel/physics/matter.htm

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
no what I mean is what I said.

I know that it is extreamly hard to do but matter and energy is not constant.

energy can be drained from matter by reducing the temperature of matter until all of the electrons slow to almost the point of zero energy.
--------------------------------------
In a hot gas atoms are moving around with the increased kinetic energy inherent in their temperature.
http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~bank/index.html
--------------------------------------

as temperature approaches zero kelvin energy approaches constant.

for the most part the energy that is inherent in matter is due to its environment or surroundings.

a piece of ice is moving , it has energy.

but not moving as fast as it would were it boiling water.

the reason ice forms is because the slowing of electrons.

the surrounding temperatures drop the electrons move inwards to the center they give off heat (energy).

the bonding of atoms also decrease as temperatures drop.
steel becomes brittle in extreme temperatures.

the matter has not changed.

the matters energy has.

when the steel comes close to a object that is warmer than itself it will become warmer and stronger.

unless it is too hot and the steels electrons go into a much higher orbit and the bond becomes weaker and weaker and this results in the steel melting.

Last edited by paul; 06/09/07 07:25 PM.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
----------------------------------------------------------
the reason ice forms is because the slowing of electrons.
----------------------------------------------------------

the reason electrons go into a closer orbit is because they slow down after they release (heat) to the matter in their surroundings and they are not capable of sustaning the higher orbit
their angular acceleration or (kinetic energy) has decreased resulting in the inability to sustain the higher orbit in the same exact way that a satelight must sustain a certain velocity to orbit at higher or lower altitudes.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Paul, as we know all too well, nuclear fission produces energy. How does your explanation differ from the conventional explanation? Example:

Total mass before the reaction ( mass of U-235 + n)
= 235.0439u + 1.0087u
= 236.0526u
Total mass after the reaction ( mass of Nd + Kr + 2n)
= 147.9169u + 85.9106u + 2 x 1.0087u
= 235.8449u
There is a decrease in mass by 0.2077u. This mass has been converted to energy.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
redewenur , I would like to give you an example of what Im talking about in the form of a lab experiment.

in this example it will be shown that matter and energy are two seperate entities.

what you will need:

1) a small boiler with steam engine.
( availiable on the internet)
2) a canister filled with compressed air.
3) a tank filled with water
4) a fuel source ( for heating the water )
5) a small generator
6) a large container to hold the small power plant you will be building.

connect the generator to the steam engine.
drill a hole to allow wires to escape the large container

you may want to use a remote control to ignite the fuel in the boiler.

completely seal your small power plant up inside the large container so that nothing can escape or enter the container.

connect a light bulb of proper wattage to the wires comming out of the container from the generator.
--------------------------------
measure the weight of the container and everything in it

remotely trigger the release of the compressed air and the fuel and ignite the boiler.

watch as the boiler builds pressure and the steam engine begins to turn the generator.

the light bulb lights up and it will run until it runs out of air or fuel.

measure the weight of the container again

although most of the fuel and air is gone.

it will all weigh the same , because the matter did not decrease.
it was converted into another form of matter not into energy.

but how then did the bulb light up , if the energy came from the matter?

as for the fission equations you replied with it is my personal opinion that the energy did not come from the matter , it was converted into another form , perhaps one that you dont know about yet , or cannot see.

but if you have lost matter then I sudgest that you try to find it or where its going , because we exist in a
matter / antimatter
environment and upsetting that balance might result in something we cant fix on this end.

Last edited by paul; 06/10/07 05:18 AM.

Megastar
Megastar
"the reason ice forms is because the slowing of electrons." -paul

Paul, you're confusing the kinetic energy of atoms (and molecules) with the "energy of electrons" (whatever that may be).

Cooling does not slow electrons. Hmmm, well maybe it does have some effect on "energy level" (shells)...but I'm no physicist.
[cooling does slow the translational, rotational, and vibrational movements of atoms (and molecules)]

Still, I think you're making a fundemental mistake in thinking kinetic energy refers to the electrons.

*_*

But thanks for my heartiest laugh of the day with your:
"you may want to use a remote control to ignite the fuel in the boiler."

What you're talking about is a calorimeter. Try googling that and see if you get some examples. Many tests have been done as you describe (roughly), and conservation laws don't seem to be broken.

I also enjoyed the mud-plugger; you should be an engineer. Getting all those functions into a tube-shaped rov would be quite a challenge.

Enjoy the journey....
~SA

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Paul, with regard to your experiment, certainly, we can be confident that the 'before' and 'after' mass is identical. We know that, in normal terrestial conditions, processes that convert mass to energy don't occur naturally except in radioactive decay. If they did, none of us would be here to witness it. Such experiments as you describe are not news, and are totally irrelevant to mass/energy conversion in nuclear reactions, such as in a fission power station, or the fusion processes of a star.

Paul: "as for the fission equations you replied with it is my personal opinion that the energy did not come from the matter, it was converted into another form , perhaps one that you dont know about yet , or cannot see."

So, Paul, it's your opinion. Fine. But if you intend to refute established science, and want to avoid dogmatism, you need to come up with a better argument than a personal 'feeling' that it must be wrong.

I'm listening. Go ahead.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
(((( refute established science ))))

Thank you ... thats me!!!!!
Thats what I do...BEST.

you speak of my opinions as if they were against some type of
main stream dogma.

HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE RIGHT ?

have you filmed the matterlesss energy?
do you have a sample of this theoretical belief of yours?
does established science have a example?

NO its ALL conjecture isnt it?

you may want to use our galaxies black hole for your example of a local occurance as the hole spews out energy.

but I hold that even though the center of the galaxy is extremely dense (((( everything )))) that has ever entered it is still there except its energy.

now since you cant show me a feasible example then WHAT you speak of is THEORY or CONJECTURE be it yours or thousands of others combined personal thoughts.

I have a brain that processes thoughts and you do to.
should I ever lease part of that brain out to CONJECTURE and tell my brain that this is the way things happen then I might start beleving that a 757 aircraft could actually fit through a double door size hole.

or that (1) of those engines (6 ton )
delivering a impact force of 9.3 million pounds
could not punch a hole in the pentagon.

I might even start to believe that some strange mystical occurance just made them vanish into thin air.

WOOOOOOSH.....POOF ... woops ...

maybe this would be a good example of how matter is converted into energy for you to use.

although almost none of the aircraft survived the conversion, every single passenger survived enought to be identified.

so perhaps people cannot be totally converted into energy the way that 757 was.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
- No, it doesn't. The Big Bang was not like a conventional explosion. Matter was not ejected 'through' space. -

see heres more evidence.

the ejecta from the explosion should have blowback.
there should have been massive amounts of blowback matter on the lawn.

where is it?

maybe its lost in the numbing.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Scientific Method: - Here are the facts. What conclusions can we draw from them?
Pseudoscientific Method: - Here's the conclusion. Now, what facts can we find to fit it?
Paul's Method: - Here's the conclusion. Never mind the facts.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
suppose I was in a room and in an adjacent room I heard a noise.

I get up and look in the adjacent room and there is a picture on the floor.

imediately I ASSUME that it just fell off of the wall.

because I didnt see it fall.

after close examination of the nail in the wall and the wire that is used to hang the picture on the nail I find that my initial ASSUMPTION was in error.

the nail was not bent in a way as to allow the wire to slip off and cause the picture to fall.

the wire was still attached.

so it must have fallen off some other way.

but I dont have a clue as to why it fell off.

I DID NOT SEE IT FALL.

everything I have ever known tells me that the picture could not have just fell off the wall.

but I see it on the floor.
----------------------------------------------

Scientific Method: says the picture is still there on the wall.

Pseudoscientific method : says the picture could have fallen off when all the matter was converted into energy.

I awoke from my dream and sure enough the picture is still on the wall.

you can do many things with science but you cannot create anything nor can you destroy anything.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
to allow you a way out of your BIG BANG theory.

suppossing that this universe will collapse in on istelf at some point in the future.

everything will move toward one point in this universe.
as the matter in the center gathers , heat will result due to the pressures of gravity.

the heat will try to expand the matter closer to the center.

however because the other matter that is gathering is pushing inwards it cannot expand.

the heat causes the inner matters energy to transfer to the outer matter.

( heat moves from hot to cold )

the inner matter shrinks with every release of energy however it weighs the same ( retains its mass ).

more matter piles in on the center and this keeps occuring.

when all the matter has gathered at the center then
soon the matter at the verry center begins to expell energy that can pass through the outer matter.

the ball continues to shrink.
and continues to expell energy.

after all the releasible energy has been released.
and the matter is in its smallest configuration.

then a moment of stillness occurs.

the mass cools.

the energy is swirling in a caotic manner around the mass.

the energy begins its return.

the outer layers of the mass accept the energy , the electrons move out to a higher and higher orbit and explode with great force as the energy is passed to the electrons , the mass expands and pushes itself away.

layer after layer is ripped from the mass and ejected away from the center of the mass.

the new universe forms.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
I stand corrected. Mass cannot be converted to energy. Energy cannot be converted to mass. Now, do I get a reprieve, or am I still to be burned at the stake? BTW - does the sun go around the Earth, or vice versa? No! Don't answer that! grin

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Paul's Method: - Here's the conclusion. Never mind the facts.

where did you show me a fact?

point to an instance of matter converting to energy or vice versa if you believe me to be wrong.

you say you stand corrected , I did not correct you I injected my personal thoughts about the (matter).

I only dissagree with your shared opinion.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
This is unproductive. You have some fascinating views, Paul, and I thank you for your opinions. No offence intended, but neither of us can learn from the other. There's a logical divide. So, good luck with the theories, there will no doubt be many others more receptive.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
I agree this is unproductive. and you also have some shared views that are to say the least facinating.

when it comes to logic I dont focus on theory , I focus on the here and now , the known instances , not theory.

and from those instances I build my own theory.

you cant have a can of gas without the can.

when Nikola Tesla transported energy without wires , there was still a medium for transportation.

1/2 that medium was the earth --> GROUND
1/2 was the particles in the air --> the aether as some call it.

Tesla invented the way that we transport electrical energy today , the AC alternator or generator.

yet he was ridiculed until he died.
his thoughts were not main stream either.

but every one of his thousands of patents and inventions worked.

I wouldnt think that he relied on main stream thoughts and/or theories.

I think he had an extremely , amazing , grasp on physics
and that was the foundation he used to build on.

if I had a boat only a few hundred years ago I could not go far because the main stream was that I would fall off the edge of the ocean.

11 years ago when I first participated in this forum nobody here believed that global warming was true.

nobody here believed that pressures in liquids can increase by a factor of (4) when velocity doubles if rotated as in a centrifuge.

I came here to get help from people who I thought to be smart but was opposed by ( main stream ) theory.

they were not concerned with helping , only in ridicule and the dreaded LAWS OF PHYSICS that they so heavily relied on yet didnt understand the physics itself.

it was a cheat sheet crowd more concerned with peer pressure than anything else.

now these things are ( main stream ).

all they could say is that there is no outward force in rotation.
and that it would VIOLATE the KNOWN laws of physics.

Last edited by paul; 06/11/07 02:30 PM.

M
OP Offline
M
Sorry kids, my image hoster got all dead like.

So I been a tad busy. I'll splain in a sec.

There's the two I started this train wreck with. Glad to see I'm not banned.

Yet.

Sumpin fresh...

I'm still putting the pyramids back together, I get round to it.

Ive also constructing Stonehenge, but that is exclusive for the site of a couple of my friends. But you can lurk that, and it's got stuff that pretains to pyramids.

http://www.hardcorepolitics.com/history-civilization/2547-how-construct-stonehenge.html#post54636

Of course the original pyramid deal is at...

http://www.debatepolitics.com/science-technology/4934-how-build-pyramid.html

Ya I know, shameless self promotion. I feel just aweful about it.

But feel free to join BOTH sites, and reference me, teacher, it's free and they send you a case of beer after your first post. Really, I swear.

Now I'll be back with new space as it gets done and tidy up the pyramids thread real soon like, but I gotta hellofa political debate I'm winning going on right now, with all the bells and whistles...

http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaking-news/21084-iran-caught-red-handed-shipping-arms-taliban.html

And don't stand there with those looks on your faces, I've allready told them that you guys are just swell, and linked to here and everything.

But you know sites are kinda clanish and folks afraid to go outside, what with me creeping around and all. So don't hold your breath of folks joining.

Afdter all, they get they can stand of me there.

No, wait, that's not what I meant...

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: paul
"Physicists at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC) in California have succeeded in producing particles of matter from very energetic collisions of light."

Isn't a real big LA supposed to be done about right now over in Europe? Cern? Lecern or sumpin?

Superstar
Superstar
Marchimedes
First of all, Hydrogen consists of one proton and one electron. Hydrogen with a proton and a neutron is deuterium, which makes heavy water when combined with Oxygen. It undergoes neutron radioactive decay to Hydrogen.

Secondly, I still am getting only part of your picture in my window, the right edge is cut off. This makes what you say difficult to completely comprehend.

If you're as smart as you say you are you could find a way to post within the limits of the SAGG screen window.

Amaranth

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Amaranth Rose wrote:

"If you're as smart as you say you are you could find a way to post within the limits of the SAGG screen window."

Exactly.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Marchimedes
Isn't a real big LA supposed to be done about right now over in Europe? Cern? Lecern or sumpin?

That's right. LHC. http://www.lhc.ac.uk/about-the-lhc.html

Interesting trivia:

"This accelerator will generate vast quantities of computer data, which CERN will stream to laboratories around the world for distributed processing (the GRID technology). In April 2005, a trial successfully streamed 600MB per second to seven different sites across the world. If all the data generated by the LHC is to be analysed, then scientists must achieve 1,800MB per second before 2007."

That's what you call broadband!
___

There are some great hi-res mpg downloads here:

"Supercomputer simulations probe the formation of galaxies and quasars in the universe" http://www.mpa-garching.mpg.de/galform/press/

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: Amaranth Rose II
Marchimedes
First of all, Hydrogen consists of one proton and one electron. Hydrogen with a proton and a neutron is deuterium, which makes heavy water when combined with Oxygen. It undergoes neutron radioactive decay to Hydrogen.

Secondly, I still am getting only part of your picture in my window, the right edge is cut off. This makes what you say difficult to completely comprehend.

If you're as smart as you say you are you could find a way to post within the limits of the SAGG screen window.

Amaranth

Now you want me to hold your hand and walk you through the sttings of YOUR PC?

I see the whole picture, and I'm at a public library generic PC setup.

Nice try though.

Nothing new to see here, move along. I'm taking the weekend off to beat some faces in on the political front, my first love.

Any one see where I'm going with this theory yet?

Superstar
Superstar
"Now you want me to hold your hand and walk you through the sttings of YOUR PC?"

I asked a civil question. I am not a geek, I don't know how to reset my screen when I encounter anomalies. I just use this thing. I'm pretty much at the mercy of the machine. I do know better than to piss off the moderator, however.

Amaranth

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

M
OP Offline
M
I asked a civil question.

Originally Posted By: asker of so-called civil questions

First of all, there ain't no stinkin question there.

Second of all, what with the "If you're as smart" and what not doesn't fall within the realm of civility. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for the insult and abuse game, and I do believe I ask ya'll to "bring it", but for the love of God don't get all whiney on me if you step into my world by choice and then get your teeth kicked in.

Quote:
I am not a geek, I don't know how to reset my screen when I encounter anomalies. I just use this thing. I'm pretty much at the mercy of the machine. I do know better than to piss off the moderator, however.

Right click on your desktop, click properties, goto settings and change the screen area.

Or in the same properties window, click appearence and play in there.

Save a desktop theme before you do any of this cause if you are not a geek it's trial and error.

I'm no geek, just that I'm as smart as I say I am.

Quote:
Amaranth

Redundent

Superstar
Superstar
You must have Aspberger's Syndrome.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Marchimedes: "all they could say is that there is no outward force in rotation."

- what do you think of the hypothesis of Ernst Mach, as interpreted by Einstein, who called it Mach's Principle, with reference to his Special Theory of Relativity? Does it fit in with your theory of rotation?

M
OP Offline
M
You must have Aspberger's Syndrome.

Yea, I'm pretty used to people trying to find a way to explain away my intelligence.

Generaly it comes from their lack of self esteem. A problem I don't seem to have.

Of course with your little suggeston there is that those who are afflicted thusly tend to do the opposite of me, namely seek out social contact.

I've been doing this little show for a while now, and haven't run into anything new in quite some time.

You are just another in the group of those who lash out cause you can't stand my attitude yet can't find any mistakes in my theory so you go to the "mental" well.

My favorite group are those that acknoweledge that I've managed to make learning fun, that I present science in a unique fashion.

Then there are all sorts of other groups.

I enjoy the ones who first try to tell me my stuff doesn't work and no one cares. So I challenge them to actually point out a flaw and direct them to the quickly growing views and replies, at which point if they are admin or moderators they close the thread and/or ban me so the numbers don't prove them wrong. What it must be like to fool yourself about the truth facinates me.

Oh so many other traits I've come across in "teacher's pyramid crusade and travelling menagerie". See, I have wrote down in my home site, buried in a place for members only, my plan, my predictions, because right away I realized that with my charming personality and humble disposition, coupled with an amazing theory that solves a 4500 year old mystery, topped of with a undescribable sence-o-humor, that I could do sumpin never seen before. And document it as I go.

You, Amaranth, simply go under the category "petulant", probably the largest group.

I also enjoy the folks who realize I know my stuff and ask me questions.

See, my prefered screenname is teacher.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: redewenur
Marchimedes: "all they could say is that there is no outward force in rotation."

- what do you think of the hypothesis of Ernst Mach, as interpreted by Einstein, who called it Mach's Principle, with reference to his Special Theory of Relativity? Does it fit in with your theory of rotation?

That's not my quote.

Is someone editing my posts here and putting words in my mouth?

I've had that a few times before when they realize my stuff is solid and I outsmack them all.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R

That's not my quote.

Is someone editing my posts here and putting words in my mouth?

I've had that a few times before when they realize my stuff is solid and I outsmack them all.

My apologies, Marchimedes, Paul said that, not you. So, I'll ask him him if and when he reappears.

Incidentally, did you get around to checking out this?: -

http://www.mpa-garching.mpg.de/galform/press/

M
OP Offline
M

My apologies, Marchimedes, Paul said that, not you. So, I'll ask him him if and when he reappears.

Incidentally, did you get around to checking out this?: -

http://www.mpa-garching.mpg.de/galform/press/

I wasn't accusing you of doing that. You're one of the cool group I run into. Shame it's so seldom.

I'm at a bud's PC now and copying stuff from drive to drive so I don't wanna open a movie, but I just had a eureka moment looking at that site, you know how galaxies are "clustered"? Or they call them super clusters, right?

My theory can kinda explain that haphazard arrangment. I haven't drawn or explained it yet, but it's in here, (points to skull).

Yea red, I really think I've got this pegged, and it's so simple.

Gonna be hell to explain though. And got some guys giving me a hardtime about Stonehenge and that ALWAYS distracts me when someone thinks they know how to move heavy stuff with primative tools better than me. They think about it, I did it for a living.

I just got banned again at my main site. That's the fifth time. So I'm planning some revenge.

Nuttin going on here much yet, but this is my site...

http://nocapsspaces.3.forumer.com/

And please don't ever apologize to me. Makes me appear weak and needy. I dish it out far to much for that.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
"I just got banned again at my main site. That's the fifth time. So I'm planning some revenge"

Fortunes of war, eh?

Don't get banned from SAGG. There are some very good, friendly people here, but your unconventional approach may be construed as offensive.

Looking forward to your thoughts on that foamy universe structure...

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
"""""""""""

""""""""""""

I dont know !

never was very interested in einstein , its mostly theories
from what I have read ( watched on tv ) about him.

Im more of a practice type of person than a theory type.

arent a lot of his theories being found to be not correct?

I guess I lost interest when he started with time travel.

I do agree that light can travel forward and backward in time
and that light can be used to send construction data to a device that could reassemble matter in the future or the past.

but time itself cannot be manipulated because it has no physical properties.

a camera could be recording the future and sending that data to the past.

a great early warning system , huh !!!

we have to construct it now so that those who are reading this in the future can know where we want the camera to be placed and at which frequency they should use and where to point the data that is sent to the bounce device that bounces the data back to the earth , its that simple.

radio waves and tv signals from the 40's are just now reaching deep into space.

these signals could be returned via light.

get it?

President Bush got it when he saw the plane strike the twin tower at that school in florida before it was televised.

how else could he have seen it?

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Paul

"never was very interested in einstein, its mostly theories

arent a lot of his theories being found to be not correct?"

No...not yet anyway...

http://www2.corepower.com:8080/~relfaq/experiments.html
"the huge experimental support for this theory [special relativity] is sometimes not well known.

http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/HistTopics/General_relativity.html
"Today [general relativity] plays a role in many areas, cosmology, the big bang theory etc. and now has been checked by experiment to a high degree of accuracy."

I like the camera idea, but you need to do some work on the theory...oops, sorry, forgot you don't do theories grin

Still..."its that simple."

- great, so go for it! I'll be your first customer.

M
OP Offline
M
"""""""""""

""""""""""""

I dont know !

never was very interested in einstein , its mostly theories

arent a lot of his theories being found to be not correct?

I guess I lost interest when he started with time travel.

I do agree that light can travel forward and backward in time
and that light can be used to send construction data to a device that could reassemble matter in the future or the past.

but time itself cannot be manipulated because it has no physical properties.

a camera could be recording the future and sending that data to the past.

a great early warning system , huh !!!

we have to construct it now so that those who are reading this in the future can know where we want the camera to be placed and at which frequency they should use and where to point the data that is sent to the bounce device that bounces the data back to the earth , its that simple.

radio waves and tv signals from the 40's are just now reaching deep into space.

these signals could be returned via light.

get it?

President Bush got it when he saw the plane strike the twin tower at that school in florida before it was televised.

how else could he have seen it?

Einstien was a hack. Common sense folks. Time travel my ass. The paradox alone eliminates the posibility unless you allow for multiple timelines and then, ah [censored], sorry, very busy with multiple stuff.

The gravity of all the microverses surounding us are what's causing the expansion acceleration of our "visible universe" and the randomness of stuff flying hither and yon creates parts of space where this microverse or that microverse influence this or that area more or less accounting for the so-called "foam" structure.

Now I gotta put that into simple drawings.

No magic, no "dark matter" just gravity and matter flying around just the big band say it should.

how can I be the first to come up with this.

oh, I'm very bright.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Marchimedes: "Time travel my ass. The paradox alone eliminates the posibility unless you allow for multiple timelines and then, ah [censored], sorry, very busy with multiple stuff."

Glad to see you entering into a discussion with Paul. That might be interesting - when you're not employing your genius elsewhere grin

M
OP Offline
M
Marchimedes: "Time travel my ass. The paradox alone eliminates the posibility unless you allow for multiple timelines and then, ah [censored], sorry, very busy with multiple stuff."

Glad to see you entering into a discussion with Paul. That might be interesting - when you're not employing your genius elsewhere grin

And multiple timeline lead to folks messing with time in those other timelines and then, well you pretty much have to assume there are INFINITE timelines, or parallel universes, of which there is zero evidence of no matter how often some LSD tripping physisist claims it so.

Now, infinate is a hellofa word if you look at it's literal meaning.

Infinate universes. Wrap your brain around that for a while and you kinda start to run outta room. Say in the next universe over my good bud Marchimedes didn't go back and add the "u" to the word "outta" left it "otta" and that is the only difference between that universe and this universe ever. EVER. What's the point?

Time travel my ass.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Marchimedes: "Infinite universes. Wrap your brain around that for a while and you kinda start to run outta room."

Some scientists insist that the 'multiverse' idea is not physics but 'metaphysics' - but then some very smart quantum physisists say there's no better explanation for superposition***. Whichever way you look at it, it's hard to grasp. The popular word is 'counter-intuitive'. What they really mean is, it's impossible to "wrap your brain around", as you say.

*** http://searchsmb.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid44_gci341263,00.html

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
""" Time travel my ass. """

I like the way you ( have a steady opinion ) on time travel.

it equates to logic and the here and now.

what we can see and cannot see and thus have not seen however remains open and not contestable.

light that exist outside of our visible range and outside of our methods of detecting these unknown light ranges or waveforms cannot be canceled out simply because we cannot see or detect them.

we set the limits of light.
but can we set the limits of what we dont even know exist.

the laser --> cessium experiment told me that time travel is possible , for light.

it also told me that there are lightforms that we cannot detect.
yet.

before the ((( known light ))) entered the cessium it had already exited.
((( the known light )))

repeat this a few times and what would happen?

but what if I decide not to push the button to make the light in the first place?

obviously light travels backwards in time also.

what I think happened is that the laser ( jumped ) a certain distance beyond the container of cessium.

this planet is rotating around the sun at 66,000 mph
this solar system is rotating around our galaxy and our galaxy is flying out into the vastness of this universe.

we may very well be traveling beyond the speed of light at this time.

we just cant tell it.

it may be that at the instance the laser was engaged and the light exited the laser and began to aproach the cessium there were unknown lightforms entering the cessium already that travel faster than the laser and may even plot the entire course of the light.

perhaps the light struck the cessium and the cessium itself emitted a waveform along this plotted course that accelerated the unknown lightform into the future.

if you do jump a camera into the future to see whats going to happen you better hide it very well because like marchimedies says all sorts of unwanted changes could occur by changing one single event.

caution: waveforms can vibrate objects to the point that the molecular structure becomes weak and even transparent.

a moving vibrating object can slow down and blend in with surrounding vibrating objects.
for instance if an aircraft pilot is vibrated along with the aircraft , the pilot would first become transparent and slow down
he would begin to pass through the aircraft until the aircraft became transparent and slowed down.

at this point he may be a part of the aircraft or behind the aircraft and his clothing .

when the vibration is slowing a reversal occurs.
which may return him to his exact position.
maybe not.

Last edited by paul; 06/21/07 08:52 PM.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
a few words from others.
the acceleration of light
the natural resonance frequency of the cesium atom (9,192,631,770 Hz)
it may be that the (unknown lightforms or waves ) can travel along the cessium waves and like a surfer riding a wave are pushed or accelerated from wave to wave.

maybe not.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
just short of 300 million metres per second.
By adjusting the frequency of the laser beams to match those of the energy levels

Because of the fast group velocity, the leading edge of the pulse appears to leave the caesium-filled chamber 62 billionths of a second before it arrives.

it would take a lot of bouncing through a container to achieve a lot of time travel^ of the light.

hmmm...a mirrowed container?

a mirrowed spiraled tube...gone where did the light go.

oh wait... there it is...I forgot we had to wait till we caught up with time!!!!

M
OP Offline
M
""" Time travel my ass. """

I like the way you ( have a steady opinion ) on time travel.

it equates to logic and the here and now.

what we can see and cannot see and thus have not seen however remains open and not contestable.

light that exist outside of our visible range and outside of our methods of detecting these unknown light ranges or waveforms cannot be canceled out simply because we cannot see or detect them.

we set the limits of light.
but can we set the limits of what we dont even know exist.

And know way to verify conjecture. But these things are put forth all the time. They are call sci-fi novels.

Quote:
the laser --> cessium experiment told me that time travel is possible , for light.

Not familiar with that.

Does it have anything to do with moving and stacking heavy blocks?

Quote:
it also told me that there are lightforms that we cannot detect.
yet.

I remember my first dubie.

Quote:
before the ((( known light ))) entered the cessium it had already exited.
((( the known light )))

repeat this a few times and what would happen?

but what if I decide not to push the button to make the light in the first place?

i missed sumpin somewhere.

Quote:
obviously light travels backwards in time also.

I bet I know where you are going with this.

A thing I do at times replying to stuff is not read the whole post, answer as I go and see where it ends up. Sometimes it turns out humorous.

Quote:
what I think happened is that the laser ( jumped ) a certain distance beyond the container of cessium.

Dude, "Dune" is just a book. Lay off the spice.
Quote:
this planet is rotating around the sun at 66,000 mph

I love stuff like that. Speaking of Monkeys, can anyone tell me the speed of gravity. On my home site they were going on about this and I shut the thread down with that question after they pretended to klnow and ended up exposing themselves as hacks. (It's a hobby of mine).

Quote:
this solar system is rotating around our galaxy and our galaxy is flying out into the vastness of this universe.

What? No speeds?
Quote:
we may very well be traveling beyond the speed of light at this time.

yep.

Quote:
we just cant tell it.

Simple logic, I'm still with you.
Quote:
if you do jump a camera into the future to see whats going to happen you better hide it very well because like marchimedies says all sorts of unwanted changes could occur by changing one single event.

caution: waveforms can vibrate objects to the point that the molecular structure becomes weak and even transparent.

a moving vibrating object can slow down and blend in with surrounding vibrating objects.
for instance if an aircraft pilot is vibrated along with the aircraft , the pilot would first become transparent and slow down
he would begin to pass through the aircraft until the aircraft became transparent and slowed down.

at this point he may be a part of the aircraft or behind the aircraft and his clothing .

when the vibration is slowing a reversal occurs.
which may return him to his exact position.
maybe not.

And yep, you were going to where I thought.

I think you are cofusing time travel with observing light.

For instance, if we got in my Starship http://nocapsspaces.3.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=4&view=findpost&p=60 and went faster than light with a perfect telescope trained back at Earth you would be watching history go backwards, or rather at, say, a light year from Earth you stop and peek, the photons that then hit you left the Earth a year ago you are seeing what happened last year and go far and fast enough and have a real swell telescope and you could pass the light, the edge of the first light of the big bang and watch it all happen, now, if you take my expanding ball of mass from the big bang, get our superscope and find the exact opposite point on our ball, do the doppler shift measurement thing, divide it in half and you'd know how fast we are travelling though space cause you'd have a reference point and then could extrapolate the speed of our galaxy, solar sytem, Earth and all that right down to the bicycle you are riding to go buy another sack of kyrpy, man.

[/quote]

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Very interesting posts, you guys. Don't have time to add anything right now. Later.

Quote:

Not familiar with that.

Does it have anything to do with moving and stacking heavy blocks?

!.. laugh laugh laugh

M
OP Offline
M

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Nice one Marchimedes. I don't have much time right now, but I noticed a couple of questions.

One was about gravitational attraction over various distances. There's a law of classical physics about that:

It's called Newton's Inverse Square Law. On your drawing it means that at

(2) the gravitational attraction is 1/(2^2) of the gravitional attraction at (1) - that's a quarter
(3) the gravitational attraction is 1/(3^2) of the gravitional attraction at (1) - that's a ninth
(4) the gravitational attraction is 1/(4^2) of the gravitional attraction at (1) - that's a sixteenth

The speed of gravity is c (the speed of light). It's normally referred to as the speed at which gravity propagates, but it still means the same thing smile

So, if by some trick the sun was removed to a parallel universe, the Earth would still continue in its orbit for about 8 minutes, then it would shoot off at a tangent. At the same moment, we would see the sun disappear. Meanwhile, Mars would continue in its orbital path for another 4 minutes. Then it too would shoot off. Jupiter would continue to orbit the non-existent sun for another half hour!
_______

So, the gravitational attraction of an object is proportional to its mass and its distance; if you're standing on a planet with twice the mass of Earth you won't be twice as heavy unless the radius is the same. The effects of the gravity at the surface depend on the distribution of the mass, and in this case the radius of the planet.

Here's is one I made earlier (as they say on the cookery programs):

Acceleration due to gravity:

g = G(M/r^2)

where
g = acceleration due to gravity (m/s2)
G = universal gravitational constant (m3/kg/s2) = 6.673*10^-11
M = mass of the body (kg or slug)
r = radius of the body (m or ft)
_____

For Earth:

g =(6.673*10^-11)*((5.98*10^24)/((6.375*10^6)^2))= 9.81
_____

For Gliese 581 c: (a recently discovered Earth-like planet)

If it has 4.83 x Earth mass, and a radius of 1.5 x Earth then:

g =(6.673*10^-11)*(((5.98*10^24)*4.83)/(((6.375*10^6)*1.5)^2)) = 21.1

21.1/9.81 = 2.15 x Earth gravity.

You might have thought that the gravitational attraction at the surface would be 4.83 x as great, but it's only 2.15 x.

This might be useful: http://www.qrg.northwestern.edu/projects...ts-gravity.html

M
OP Offline
M
Well, between the two of us we gots a brain and a half.

Maybe sumpin can get done.

Nice one Marchimedes.

Why thankee. I just got yelled at on another forum for posting pictures, and deleted..."this is a forum of words..." so I went and posted my all text pyramid theory.

It's a science forum, without a sence-o-humor. I like this site though.

I'm kinda a travelling troll/spammer.

Though I post solid content, so it's on them really. I post content and they don't like the attitude and proclaim me "troll' and ban me.

Quote:
One was about gravitational attraction over various distances. There's a law of classical physics about that:

It's called Newton's Inverse Square Law. On your drawing it means that at

I heard of that. It's in a sci-fi book I'm reading.

Quote:
(2) the gravitational attraction is 1/(2^2) of the gravitional attraction at (1) - that's a quarter

(3) the gravitational attraction is 1/(3^2) of the gravitional attraction at (1) - that's a ninth

(4) the gravitational attraction is 1/(4^2) of the gravitional attraction at (1) - that's a sixteenth

The pull decreases exponentialy with distance?

Quote:
The speed of gravity is c (the speed of light). It's normally referred to as the speed at which gravity propagates, but it still means the same thing

And how do we know this? See, I been asking the speed of gravity question long time now. Kinda hard to determine with evertthing in place. Perhaps by measuring the orbit of a body as a commet from out there comes close?

Quote:
So, if by some trick the sun was removed to a parallel universe, the Earth would still continue in its orbit for about 8 minutes, then it would shoot off at a tangent. At the same moment, we would see the sun disappear. Meanwhile, Mars would continue in its orbital path for another 4 minutes. Then it too would shoot off. Jupiter would continue to orbit the non-existent sun for another half hour!

So gravity is a wave? A particle? Both? Niether? Voodoo? Hypmotism?

http://nocapsspaces.3.forumer.com

Not really ready yet, but the fun will commence there soon.

S
S
Quote:
I just got yelled at on another forum for posting pictures, and deleted..."this is a forum of words..."

Isn't a picture worth a thousand words? LOL! Wonder how they would take to my smilies? Got a link?

I've been banned from forum A for what I said on forum B. Then banned from forum B for being a supporter of forum A. Banned from forum C for what I said in private messages. Banned from forum D for the same thing. Banned from forum E for saying something I never said. Oh the stories I could tell about my adventures on web forums. And just wait until you have people posting hanging nooses to you.

It's not Global Warming, it's Ice Age Abatement.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Marchimedes, I don't have time to reply yet - got to be out of here ten minutes ago grin Be back in a few days.

This is a boootiful forum. Sensible, tolerant mods. They are, of course, obliged to respond to slanderous content, personal abuse and related flaming etc. That's nothing personal, just an ethical duty.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: scpg02
Isn't a picture worth a thousand words? LOL! Wonder how they would take to my smilies? Got a link?

Yea, but they've deleted all the good stuff out. Where I make them look like idiots.

This is the ooriginal thread...

http://www.thescienceforum.com/How-to-build-a-pyramid.-6989t.php

At the end skinboy tells me I need to put it in words instead.

Hehe. That's the first thing I did over two years ago with my pyramid theory...

http://www.thescienceforum.com/How-To-Build-A-Pyramid-7556t.php

And then I kicked the snot outta skinboy.

He deleted those.

Quote:
I've been banned from forum A for what I said on forum B. Then banned from forum B for being a supporter of forum A. Banned from forum C for what I said in private messages. Banned from forum D for the same thing. Banned from forum E for saying something I never said. Oh the stories I could tell about my adventures on web forums. And just wait until you have people posting hanging nooses to you.

They don't dare. it really is amazing the efforts some sites go through. It's like little dictatorships, with censorship and propaganda and midnight secret police raids and everything.

S
S
Quote:
It's like little dictatorships, with censorship and propaganda and midnight secret police raids and everything.

LOL! hadn't thought of it that way but you are correct!

M
OP Offline
M
Tell me this is not the coolest idea ever.

Beside girls with beer.

Lettuce see if you are ready for my next idea.

This is huge.

Know what shooting stars are?

(Sound of Monkeys snoring).

They are meteors that hit the Earth's atmosphere. They going real fast like. So fast that the friction of the air makes them burn up. You make a wish, and next thing you know Kizzume has a toothless gay circus midget knocking on his door with a six pack of warm PBR.

Now the average size of one of those fleeting shooting stars is the size of a grain of sand or salt.

Amazing you can see such a small thing zip from so far away.

Different elements burn different colors.

Your average incandesant light bulb has Tungston I think as the filimant, which burns white. Iron, like in a blacksmith's forge, burns red. I'm hoping Colbolt burns blue, but I'm just guessing.

Imagine how many grains of sand would fit in a 55 gallon drum?

On the 4th of July, say 9 PM pacific time, some guy on the space shuttle or space station kicks that drum out at a time and place so that the grains of Tungston, Iron and Colbolt reenter the Earth's atmosphere all over the Mighty US of A.

What do you got?

Billions and billions of red, white and blue shooting stars at the time and place of your choosing.

Any idea how many of your tax dollars are used for fireworks shows accross the nation?

In the long run this would cost less, looks cooler, and you don't have to pile your brats into the station wagon and drive 50 miles and get rained on.

You get to sit in your back yard while said brats bring you cold ones.

There's a lot more to this idea.

S
S

M
OP Offline
M

Know what's friggin amazing?

I e-mailed this to NASA a couple of years ago.

Told them "take it, it's free".

They wrote me back and said they couldn't do anything with it cause it didn't fit in either of their two submissions catagory.

Basically cause it was free.

I told these retards that if they did this there would be enormous interest in the space program. Joe and Marsha, Marsha, Marsha six pack are always screaming the money is better spent down here, on food stamps and bridges to nowhere I guess. Congess would be urged by the voters to give money to the space program cause, well, folks like getting drunk and watching pretty lights.

This would make them look so cool, and I bet I could get laid a lot more.

"Hey, how you doin? I'm Marchimedes, the man made shooting stars guy".

"Oh, really? I'm Barbie, this is my friend Candy".

"Giddyup".

S
S
Quote:
and I bet I could get laid a lot more.

LOL! having trouble with that huh? So what's the problem now?

M
OP Offline
M
Quote:
and I bet I could get laid a lot more.

LOL! having trouble with that huh? So what's the problem now?

Women say they want a smart guy.

Just not smarter than them.

I suppose I could act stupid.

S
S
Quote:

Mmm that's what I want. Talking brainy to me just turns me on. Why do you think I post on science forums?

Superstar
Superstar
Brains turn me on. Overgrown ego turns me off. too often, the two go together. A little modesty about one's own achievements goes a long way where I'm concerned. So what if you're the greatest brain since Einstein, you don't have to beat me over the head with it. True intellect needs no advertisement. It is those who are insecure who have to trumpet it to the world.

S
S
Oh I so agree with that. This is why I don't go for the Hollywood good looks either. They are good looking and they know it with egos to match. No thanks, I'll pass.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: Lord and Master of all I survey

Why do you think I post on science forums?

Before I read this post I would've said cause you like science.

Now?

How you doing?

Chicks call me cute.

Better "handsome" or "rugged".

That's what I used to say.

Now, at 43, cute is smoking.

Tells me I'm aging well.

M
OP Offline
M
Boys, that was friggin smooth.

Don't try that at home.

S
S

Tells me I'm aging well.

You are completely sexy!

W
W
People are so quick to jump to conclusions. When I was a kid (say 18-21) I used a ploy to get rednecks to pick fights with me. I'd talk like a guy with a hare lip. You know, "Nyuh-nyu-nyuh", and all nasal. It didn't always work, I'm too big for most guys to want to fight. But a lot of "tough guys" fell for it, assuming anybody who talked like that must be feeble.

Don't always assume that anybody who "talks smart" IS smart.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: Wolfman
People are so quick to jump to conclusions. When I was a kid (say 18-21) I used a ploy to get rednecks to pick fights with me. I'd talk like a guy with a hare lip. You know, "Nyuh-nyu-nyuh", and all nasal. It didn't always work, I'm too big for most guys to want to fight. But a lot of "tough guys" fell for it, assuming anybody who talked like that must be feeble.

Man, is this gonna be easy.

Hey, Neanderthal boy.

Notice you not chiming in when the discusion WAS all smart like.

So, one post talking to who you think is your girl and you come outta the cave with some weak?

You "used a ploy" to "get rednecks" to fight with you?

Tells us all we need to know.

Big guys have the advantage from the word go.

Well, except against me...but,

the very fact that you would use your size to...I dunno...tells me you got some serious issues, son.

Not to mention the fact you ain't said a damn thing about science, on a science forum that is, where I am literaly oozing fresh theory, with logic and humor and the highest fine art and oh my, your dumb azz is gonna come into MY THREAD and go "derr, I can change your flat tire"?

Hope that works out well for you.

In the mean time...

I kicked the [censored] outta a guy that had 60lbs. on me not two weaks ago.

Cause he lied and stole and swung first.

Fighting is a science first.

Mass times speed equals force.

I only weigh so much.

The only way I can hit harder is to move faster.

I've spent the last two decades training for speed.

What did you do yesterday tough guy?

M
OP Offline
M

Tells me I'm aging well.

You are completely sexy!

So, that being done with.

What gets you better?

The smarts or the humor?

I've pretty much got my mind made up on this front.

But, like you gals say, who knows which head is doing the thinking for me at the moment.

Be a dear and tell me true.

Ah, my bad, this site was from before my image hoster going all dead like.

http://www.scienceagogo.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=21749&page=3#Post21749

So you got no pictures of ol' Marchimedes now, do you?

Lettuce kill several birds with one stone.

spag02, my dear, please to tell me the equal of the following anywhere on God's green Earth...

So I had me a lil' thread rolling around here called "How to build a pyramid", which is my first love, sides chicks and all, but the image hoster died, and so now I get to look all smart again.

Pyramids is why I'm here.

So, sweetheart, wanna know more about your man first?

Check this page.

I'm teacher there.

It gets ugly.

Yea, that's me.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/science-technology/

Gotta know what you are in for first.

Don't say I didn't warn ya.

Yep, me, in the foil hat.

Your turn.

S
S
You don't know hwo to flirt with a woman do you?

S
S
Originally Posted By: Wolfman

You can say that again.

M
OP Offline
M
You don't know hwo to flirt with a woman do you?

Who's flirting?

This is stalking.

M
OP Offline
M

Hey, the principle behind it is solid and better than the present ideas.

It'll get worse before it gets better.

M
OP Offline
M
Ya'll keep reading, but not replying.

How bout sumpin compleatly different?

http://www.hardcorepolitics.com/history-civilization/3311-son-how-raise-obelisk.html

Don't worry, you can peek without joining.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
"Mass times speed equals force."
Not exactly. Mass times acceleration equals force.
Mass times speed is the magnitude of the momentum.
Mass times velocity is the momentum.

F=ma
ms=m|v|=|p|
p=mv

Not that actual physics has any relation to this thread.

M
OP Offline
M
Yea, whatever, big weight goes fast means lotta hurt.

Quote:
Not that actual physics has any relation to this thread.

Easy to say, now, sport, how about you list EXACTLY what I got wrong. And no, not spelling errors or ending sentences with prepositions.

M
OP Offline
M
Miss me?

M
OP Offline
M
From this site...

http://www.scienceagogo.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=24099#Post24099

Could this be cause they were looking towards the center of my little theorectical universe?

Marchimedes #24422 01/09/08 05:30 PM
M
OP Offline
M
here's what it used to look like...

No biggie, I still got my stuff.

M
OP Offline
M

Take a wild guess on my political affiliation...

Did a little drawing too. For one reason as I'm gettin tired of morons givin me a hard time about my "third grade" drawing skills. Here's a little sumpin I knocked out in about two hours with a construction pencil on cheap copy paper when I was bored recently. Don't mind that hair that got on the scanner.

look familiar?

Don't worry kids, I ain't forgot about you. I'll be starting the science stuff back up again soon.

M
OP Offline
M

M
OP Offline
M

M
OP Offline
M

Sorry, at a library today and the PC is having some trouble keeping up with me and my files.

We'll get there.

M
OP Offline
M
And now this crap library PC is toast.

Not reading my CD. All good, it's all on my little electronic device also.

But I grow bored watching those little green squares not add up to the right any more.

I gots better stuff to do, being as I'm a busy and impotent man.

I have another dozen or so images for pyramids, probably more.

Here's what I want...

As this goes foward, don't ask me about this or that guy's theory, I can destroy them ALL. I'm never gonna spend any time on that, cause mine is better. As you will see. Tell me where I'm wrong, or where you THINK I'm wrong. Have it solid before you do so. Intelligent questions? Ask away. I'll answer. That hasn't happened yet, as I'm gettin real good at splainin this thing Lucy.

Here's how it came to be.

I used to move safes for a company so cheap we didn't even have a forklift. Turns out I was moving tons with the same thing the Egyptians had, rollers and levers baby. Did it for a decade. Any thing I say i can do with a weight, I've allready done, don't make the mistake of telling me it can't be done. it was my job for a long time. All I've done is take every day methods and apply them to the pyramids.

Little thing I came up with long ago...

Who is better at building a log cabin?

A bifocaled, accredited, tenured, tweed jacketed with leather elbow patches, pipe smoking, Oxford professor...

or...

a guy in the woods with an axe that needs a place to live for the coming winter?

Blue collar stand up now.

Folks, this deal is done.

I've been on this deal for over 5 years now. I've wrote everyone. i get PHD's write me back and they get all snarky. Then I destroy them.

I am not very fond of acedamia. They are protecting their cash cow and I ain't friggin one of them.

You'll see.

And, nerds, for the love of God, look around would ya, 30k views and so far no one has presented a hole in my universe theory, yet it is still gettin read. This is gonna be buku more of the same, more so even. Have some fun, would ya. I am. Learning CAN be fun, maybe it takes a nut to make it so. I SO got that covered.

When we done with this, I'm gonna show you how to raise an obelisk. Maybe you should get up to speed at the PBS site on the three times they have tried. But then they didn't actually have a guy that had moved heavy stuff around there.

This is gonna be ugly, it's gonna be irreverent, it's gonna be spelled badly.

No matter, tell me where my heavy stuff moving methods are wrong.

You can't, cause I've done them, and I'm not flat.

And one more thing, the guy that is me, with the "t" on the chest, that stands for my normal screen name, teacher, which was taken here, call me teacher instead of Marchimedes, or call me late for diner, really don't matter, cause I'm correct.

See ya soon.

M
OP Offline
M

Yea, I gots more, and, gimme a break, a lot of this stuff is from sites where I really don't care who I insult. No, you guys are different, really. The nice thing is that you know how I work, so I'm not banned, yet.

Not sure how this works, as I refuse to read the rules, but I'm a moderator at a political forum, and there I link to places like this for bragging porposes, but the catch is that there only I get to link to competing sites, per an agreement, cause I bring it, and if there is one thing I know about forum owners, besides that they all are gay and are fond of barnyard animals, is that they like huge numbers, you know, numbers like mine, so I gets me some leeway.

So, in a sec here will be a link to a horrible political thread, numbers like this...

link to "...and the horse you rode in on"

http://liberalforum.org/liberalforum/index.php?showtopic=22244

Now, mods, admin and owners, this little deal is better for you than them, many more views and play there than here. In a sec I'll be linking to here.

It's how I go about doing bidness.

Anyone understand the 6" step method yet?

M
OP Offline
M
[url="http://imageshack.us"][/url]
[url="http://g.imageshack.us/img502/spacecrunch11jm0.jpg/1/"][/url]

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
it makes more sense than the other !

and it is more easily explained.

excelent.

but are they all flying away or into the center at the same angle?

if some are moving 90 degree to the center , yet moving faster and faster then this could not be correct , unless there is a gravitational body attracting and causing it to do so.

but your explanation would hold up in todays physics , without the need to re-write the books.

M
OP Offline
M
it makes more sense than the other !

and it is more easily explained.

excelent.

but are they all flying away or into the center at the same angle?

if some are moving 90 degree to the center , yet moving faster and faster then this could not be correct , unless there is a gravitational body attracting and causing it to do so.

but your explanation would hold up in todays physics , without the need to re-write the books.

To center, we are in the big crunch.

Ah, today's physics, that's what I'm looking for.

We don't need no stinkin dark energy.

No need to make up magic voodoo.

By default then that alone makes this today's best theory on the matter, right?

Marchimedes #29942 03/21/09 12:52 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Okay, in this first image you need to become familiar with the concept I call "lanes". That is lanes of blocks travelling to and up the pyraimd. This is so more Egpytians with blocks can come.

Then comes the process of setting more than one block at a time...

M
OP Offline
M
this will not do.

Actually a lot in this one folks.

My bad if I've posted thin one before, but I think I haven't, I ain't gonna take the time to check cause I'm a busy and impotent man.

The top left image, the one with the different colored levels and all, well, I say if I'm building a pyramid using this method I can build this thing in two years. Assuming the blocks are quarried and staged at the ready.

Yea, I said that.

I do gotta thank you kids though, the views climb, and I've got this thing about the replies to views ratio. I say the greater the number of views to replies just friggin means that no one can find a flaw, but still this thread is worth reading. This here most glorious tread of mine at sceince a gog has the best ratio of all, and that makes this place my second favorite place. My favotire is a political forum, right here...

I'm sure you ain't interested in the world's foremost authority on pyramid construction's take on politics, but suffice it to say I rule there also. Better yet, now and again I come outta my shell there and say what I think.

But back to the moving and stacking of heavy blocks.

I haven't gone Obelisks here, have I? The raising of them that is.

That will be next, then some thoughts on Stonehenge.

I'm not done with you.

Not by a long shot.

PS. I link to here at other sites so don't think I'm just pimping for that site.

It's a two way street.

M
OP Offline
M
Oh where oh where can it be?

I'll just post this and see if it pops up.

M
OP Offline
M
What's the deal here?

Did sumpin change?

M
OP Offline
M
Where's my thread man?

G
G
I totally agree with Marchimedes post #29161 above dated 01/15/09.

I call it the implosion of the universe (rather than contraction), because the so called “acceleration” of the universe, in that new interpretation (implosion) now makes one with the accelerated motion of the gravitation phenomenon.

Physicists alleged expansion of the universe is based on Hubble’s Doppler red shift discovery.
Yet and most importantly in the late 1990’s astronomers discovered that that expansion was actually accelerating, and that’s that accelerated motion that threw physics theories out of whack!

The explanation I give (in my website) is with the emergency vehicle:
So here is physics interpretation:
After Hubble's observations of red Doppler shifts, physicists assert that distant galaxies move away from us and that the universe is expanding.
And here is this innovative idea I share with Marchimedes:
Yet these shifts do not mandate such expansion.
In gravimotion's interpretation we move away from the distant galaxies while these are hardly moving.

Here is an analogy; just as Hubble's red shift, the high pitch of an emergency vehicle siren is getting lower when the vehicle is receding from you. But ask the driver of that vehicle to stop while keeping its siren on; then climb in your own car, and drive by the siren. Now while you are receding from it, the pitch is slowing all the same.
Hubble's shift can be interpreted as us receding faster from far away galaxies than close by galaxies!
An imploding universe is far more elegant, than physicists expanding one
Because an imploding yet accelerating universe works hand in hand with gravitation's own accelerated motion!

I came myself to that conclusion in a different way.
I came to that conclusion through my own understanding of the force of gravity or my own understanding of Einstein Space-time-curvature.

For that innovative idea too visit:
http://gravimotion.info

A
A
Most humble pardons teacher. cool Since you are most super-brainy pyramid expert in whole world. wink
Why do you keep saying great pyramids of giza are 4500yr old mystery? Surely you are aware that the assertion they were built by Khufu was most embarrassing and petulant fraud by british archeologist in 1800's who after dynamiting his way in and finding no inscriptions. In a frustrated huff. Painted "khufu" in misspelled heiroglyphs, mixing picts from two seperate periods 1 and 2 thousand years later, in red paint in the entry chamber.
They are without a doubt not comparible to any of the mud brick and sandstone clumsey affairs of the post menes eras.

More likely their builders were simular to the summerian chap who had the use of this skull 9000 years ago, and the 2x our brain size greymatter it contained then:

[img]http://yfrog.com/159000bpskulleogasafidiraj[/img]

If you can tell us how they moved the up to 2000ton (4.4 million pound) pink granite blocks at Baalbek you'd be real smart. Maybe then you can demonstrate the use of bronze tools in cutting and drilling granite too. For example the holes 8ft deep through some of the blocks in this pic. They have spiral grooves from the drill bit that show cut rates of 2.5mm per bit revolution. We only manage 1/200th of that per bit revolution from diamond drills with 50ton pressure feeding them.

[img]http://yfrog.com/59baalbek7j[/img]

This picture of the darkmatter halos around galaxies with the dark matter filaments, that connect them is intriguing.
Nice comparison with neural structure in a mouse brain.
Those intragalactic filaments are heated to up to 100 million kelvin by some sort of energy passing through them.
While imploding universe is a theory I myself have pondered on, and see some degree of validity in...I do have no doubt about the existance of extradimensions and their involvement in consciousness in complex ways personally. And like the thought that increasing rate of universe expansion might be a function of increasing intergalactic information exchange via dark energy through these nerve like filaments. Patterns repeating at different scale is a common thing to see in this universe.
I have a feeling those REALLY ancient egyptians may have known quite a bit about such things. grin

Last edited by AyeZeuss; 05/30/09 09:50 AM. Reason: pic issues
A
A
lets try that again.

9000years old skull from the region:

Baalbek with its up to 1600ton granite blocks that were quarried and delivered as 2000ton roughs before finishing on site.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: AyeZeuss
Most humble pardons teacher. cool Since you are most super-brainy pyramid expert in whole world. wink

Yes...

Quote:
If you can tell us how they moved the up to 2000ton (4.4 million pound) pink granite blocks at Baalbek you'd be real smart.

Yep, that and the others, got most of it darwn up allready. Don't have my file gizmo with me tonight though. And besides, I've jus started on the pramid stuff here, buku allready done I haven't posted here yet. Obelisks and Stonehenge stuff too boot. All very simple.

I'll be back.

Caught me a litle off gaurd with somebody actually repling here.

Now, I do have all this stuff all ready posted in my thread titled "...and the horse you rode in on", but it's at a political site and it's scattered hither and yon in that thread, I think that thread is over 3000 replies so you'd have to do quite a bit of digging to find the moving and stacking of heavy stuff stuff. If you are a flaming liberal you might want to stay away cause I crush socialists almost daily. But, I do pimp this thread there so it's only fair to do the same here.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: Gravimotion
I totally agree with Marchimedes post #29161 above dated 01/15/09.

I call it the implosion of the universe (rather than contraction), because the so called “acceleration” of the universe, in that new interpretation (implosion) now makes one with the accelerated motion of the gravitation phenomenon.

Physicists alleged expansion of the universe is based on Hubble’s Doppler red shift discovery.
Yet and most importantly in the late 1990’s astronomers discovered that that expansion was actually accelerating, and that’s that accelerated motion that threw physics theories out of whack!

The explanation I give (in my website) is with the emergency vehicle:
So here is physics interpretation:
After Hubble's observations of red Doppler shifts, physicists assert that distant galaxies move away from us and that the universe is expanding.
And here is this innovative idea I share with Marchimedes:
Yet these shifts do not mandate such expansion.
In gravimotion's interpretation we move away from the distant galaxies while these are hardly moving.

Here is an analogy; just as Hubble's red shift, the high pitch of an emergency vehicle siren is getting lower when the vehicle is receding from you. But ask the driver of that vehicle to stop while keeping its siren on; then climb in your own car, and drive by the siren. Now while you are receding from it, the pitch is slowing all the same.
Hubble's shift can be interpreted as us receding faster from far away galaxies than close by galaxies!
An imploding universe is far more elegant, than physicists expanding one
Because an imploding yet accelerating universe works hand in hand with gravitation's own accelerated motion!

I came myself to that conclusion in a different way.
I came to that conclusion through my own understanding of the force of gravity or my own understanding of Einstein Space-time-curvature.

For that innovative idea too visit:
http://gravimotion.info

Nuttin but net.

You and me against the world bud.

I'll be reading your site.

G
G
May be you and I are not against the whole world ...
May be the whole science of physics started on the wrong foot!

A
A
Its a funny world. Me? I'm not putting my bets for or against said world anytime soon. Astrophysicists say this mysterious stuff called dark energy can overcome gravity, pushing galaxies apart. Ancient egyptians say (along with the stories from sth, central america, easter island, polynesia New Zealand, Micronesia, indonesia, far east, mid east, africa, europe) that theres this black magic energy that can overcome gravity and thats what was used in local megalith constructions.
Not forming conclusions too soon could be useful.
Perhaps a little subtle, but beautiful how this thread brings these together. :-)
Now teach...
While you have your mallet out...
How did they get those pyramid blocks to all fit so tight together to 1/50 inch tolerances when the granite bedrock it sits on is bent 2ft down in the middle by the weight of the finished job?
I hope their stories about "techniques for making a boulder weigh as much as a mountain", and "making a mountain as light as a feather" don't end up upsetting your applecart. Lolz ;-)

A
A
seeeems like theres a disturbingly common cultural theme here. Spose some of these might be tending towards the up to 5%dark matter, rather than the up to 75% dark energy component of the universe at current estimates.
What if this transcultural idiom has some relevance to reality? Seems like "science" is converging on mysticism in this area? wink

10 min of googling brings me these names for this "dark" magic (defn(as i've been advised)/ interaction between the seen and unseen worlds):

dark energy, zero point or vacuum energy,
vril ,chi,qi,ki, Ti, lifesteam, jing
sei ,shou, kundalini, shakti, Kriya, Itcha, Para, Jnana, Mantrika
Mulaprakriti, Prahkti
Geburah, Gedulah, Tiphereth
Ain Soph Aur
holy spirit, spiritu, Spiritus
Cosmic Mother , Urania-Venus, Superior Water, Universal Substance
vibes, aeth, aether, aither, Ether
Aura, lesser light, astral light, life force, Bioplasma
Akasic field, Akarsha, Akasa, Akasa-bhuta, Akasa-sakti, Akasa-tattva, Akasha, Akasha Spirit, Akashic Records, Akasic, Akasic Magnetism, Akasic Records, Akasic Samadhi,
Baraka, Benzar
Animal Magnetism, Vital Life Force Energy
Cosmic Fire, Serpent Fire, Earth Dragon
Od, Odem, Odic Force, Orgone
Tattva, Muladhara (Tattwa of the earth), Svadishana (Tattwa of the water), Manipura (Tattwa of the fire), Anahat (Tattwa of the air), Visuddha ( Tattwa akasa, of the Ether ), Ajna (Adhi Tattwa, of the mind), Sahasrara (Samadhi Tattwa, of the light)
Prana, Brahma, Mana
VIVRR
Vibhu, vibhavan
Bioplasma, Telesma
Dorje, Bajrang, vajra.
Lingam, Shivalingam
the Force, void stuff, wu fu,

A
A
http://www.theglobaleducationproject.org/egypt/articles/cdunn-1.php

I'm a machine milling expert. This guys right. They had large very accurate: 3 axis milling machines, saws, drills and lathes capable of machining the hardest stone faster and more accurately than we can do today.

And by my calcs if you levered up the end of one of those 65ft Baalbek granites it would break in the middle. And hardwood rollers would need 120 of them each compressed to a half inch contact strip to get enough compressive strength from your rollers to last one trip under the stone if you are lucky. So maybe 15000 hardwood rollers per stone delivered.
Still It was probably over 20000 years ago, and they might have used Ice roads and mammoths to tow them there. Or those helicopters etc in reliefs in Abydos.

T
Tymac
Unregistered
Tymac
Unregistered
T
If you build your own telescope within, it is clear that the energy that started the big bang and thus the universe was when God spoke ......... Genesis 1:1

Marchimedes #32260 10/08/09 08:23 PM
M
OP Offline
M
70k views, you kids make me so proud.

Little sumpin I posted elsewhere today...

Another little thought experiment on the speed of light. You know how they say that as you approach the speed of light time is relative? That is if I got into my spaceship the HMS Blowme and went close to the speed of light for a while that when I came back to earth more time would have passes for you than for me? They say they proven this by putting clocks on spaceships and stuff. I wonder. As you know from my wonderful universe expansion acceleration posts the matter of the visible universe is bolting away form all other matter. That would mean that we on earth's time is different from other places in the universe. I guess if you were to plant yourself down in the spot of the big bang then that should be the place where time goes by more slowly than if you where on any of the matter that exists.

Or how about this...?

The Earth is 93 million miles away from the sun, one astronomical unit. AU. Light (a photon?) that escapes the surface of our star and heads our way takes 8 minutes to get here. So that light is traveling at, well, the speed of light, we view that photon when it gets here as taking 8 minutes to have made that journey. How long did it take from the photons point of view? I don't know, still mulling this one over. Like I always say, I have problems wrapping my mind around Einstein's theory of relativity.

Marchimedes #32262 10/09/09 02:41 AM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
if I shoot a bullet out of a rifle at 3000 fps

does the bullet understand that it cannot travel faster than the speed that light travels?

suppose I was inside a spaceship that was traveling 2999 fps slower than the speed at which light travels , and then I shoot the rifle in the direction that the spaceship is traveling!

will the bullet only travel at 2999 fps because it understands it is not allowed to travel faster?

or will it travel at 3000 fps

does a gas turbine engine have an efficiency of 90% vs a piston engines efficiency of 15%.

so if a piston engine powered car could travel 30 miles on a gallon of gas , then it stands to reason that a gas turbine powered car should travel 180 miles on a gallon of gas.

the reason we think we cant travel faster that the speed at which light travels is most likely because we have been taught that we cant , and we have no real proof , or any real gas turbine electric cars.

even if we did we cant use gasoline to travel that fast.

the reason we dont use gas turbine engines is that they are too efficient and because we dont have any real proof.
because there isnt anyone that will supply any research money to find out.

when obama said that there needs to be research funding made available to the individual inventor that is working on inventions in his garage or workshop he most likely was reffering to the impossibility of those individuals to get any funding for any thing that would save any energy.

yet as far as I can see it is still the large industries that recieve funding and / or inventions that only save a tiny non economicaly impacting amount of energy.

so there you have it , nothing can travel faster than the speed of light and you cant get 180 mpg from a gallon of greed.

paul #33013 12/19/09 06:45 AM
M
OP Offline
M
you cant get 180 mpg from a gallon of greed.

Sweet.

They who are called they often say light is a partical or a wave.

They who are called they often say that any mass approaching the speed of light approaches infinate mass.

If light is a partical then these things according so some theys should weigh an aweful lot. Kinda makes gettin a tan rather painful.

They need to get together and hammer this one out.

Somebody, somewhere, is not correct.

Marchimedes #33016 12/19/09 09:47 AM
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
What we are given to try to get our heads around is the idea that a photon is a 'packet' of energy that can behave like a particle yet has no mass. Consider also that, as yet, no one knows what it is that gives other 'particles' their mass.

They are getting together at LHC to try to hammer that one out.

Somebody somewhere is not correct?

That's for sure. Physics may be due for an upheaval when some bright spark reconciles quantum theory and general relativity.

redewenur #33024 12/19/09 10:06 PM
M
OP Offline
M
What we are given to try to get our heads around is the idea that a photon is a 'packet' of energy that can behave like a particle yet has no mass. Consider also that, as yet, no one knows what it is that gives other 'particles' their mass.

I saw that photon deal on TV recently and that's what got me started in on the mass of light. And then you make me think about the mass of particles. If particles have any mass, and they are travelling at the speed of light, then wouldn't that negate the theory that as mass approaches the speed of light it approaches infinate mass? Just like that, right?

Quote:
They are getting together at LHC to try to hammer that one out.

Somebody somewhere is not correct?

That's for sure. Physics may be due for an upheaval when some bright spark reconciles quantum theory and general relativity.

I'm no physisist, heck, can't even spell it but I like to think I have some game when I comes to thinking and I've got buku problems with both theories.

And then there is the speed of gravity...

And, of course, my theories of the universes expansion acceleration. Have you noticed even with 80k views no one has poked a hole in my theories yet?

Just thought I'd pat myself on the back there but really I think that means sumpin. Like my pyramid threory, which I haven't finished posting here yet, but so far over the years I've easily a quarter million views on that and still no flaws found with that yet.

I'm not hlding my breath waiting on the Nobel commitie calling me though.

They should call. I mean if they gonna give Algore a Nobel and he thinks the Earth is several million degrees just a few kilometers down...well, they should call.

Look at it like this, I'd give a heck of a acceptence speech...

M
OP Offline
M
I notice a few little red x's and some missing drawings. Here's some pyramid stuff that may help...

This one is fairly impotent as it splains my little leveling invention and the leveling the pyramid base/foundation won't make much cents without it...

This belongs in there somewhere. One of these days I may go get it all in order...

Fun with air shafts...

A more betterer drawing on the step idea...

And I think that's about all I have so far for pyramids. Put it all together and think a little and you'll know more than most Egyptologists.

Oh my, how embarrassing, the orign of the whole theory, how to get a block up a 6" step.

NOW, stuff might make some cents and some of your questions should be answered.

Marchimedes #33032 12/20/09 05:42 AM
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
If particles have any mass, and they are travelling at the speed of light, then wouldn't that negate the theory that as mass approaches the speed of light it approaches infinate mass? Just like that, right?

Yes it would. But there's no longer any "If" about it. Decades of particle collider experiments consistently and precisely confirm the predictions of special relativity theory. So will the electricity bills LHC receives for accelerating protons to 99.9999991% of the speed of light.

M
OP Offline
M
My bad, went through the thread and I see that a few images have went away.

Why didn't someone tell me?

So far so good I think. Bear with me.

M
OP Offline
M

And I think that is all of theory #1.

Marchimedes #33115 12/29/09 08:31 PM
M
OP Offline
M

Marchimedes #33117 12/30/09 01:36 AM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
I find myself oddly grateful for this.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend
I find myself oddly grateful for this.

but I'll roll anyway.

Kinda like you are caught looking at a train wreck, a quilty pleasure, forbidden love.

Lemme better space #3, it's like the universe is at that point with the paddle ball

like where the ball is ALMOST at it's outermost point and is gettin ready to come back.

Yea, the universe like that. As per space #3.

And hey, FF? You might not want to reply to my crap, folks around these here parts are probably lookin at you all funny like now.

"Ah, yea, that's the guy that answered Marchimedes, we gots to keep an eye on that dude, any second now he might go South".

Trust me FF, I know my way around these forums.

Don't worry about me, I'm looking at 80k+ views, hardly any replies, I'm good bro, just the way I like it.

Means folks are reading but yet can't find a real problem with my stuff.

In the world of scientific theory, does it get any better than that?

Giddyup.

Marchimedes #33122 12/30/09 06:15 AM
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
How does it feel to be on a forum where your efforts are appreciated? No, really. You do have some fascinating ideas - even if they're often short on fact and long on fancy. And you don't take yourself too seriously, so you obviously don't expect anyone to take you seriously. You present a humorous and welcome parody of the ridiculous/pathetic cranks who pollute the net with bunk in the guise of science. Thank you, Marchimedes.

redewenur #33123 12/30/09 07:19 AM
M
OP Offline
M
How does it feel to be on a forum where your efforts are appreciated? No, really.

I friggin love it. Why else am I still here? Besides the fact that I'm not yet banned. I believe I say "thank you for reading" now and again.

Quote:
You do have some fascinating ideas - even if they're often short on fact and long on fancy.

Why thank you-

I like to think I'm short on facts cause the facts are short. I deal with the facts as I know them.

Your term "fancy" would be my term "theory".

Quote:
And you don't take yourself too seriously, so you obviously don't expect anyone to take you seriously.

Please to not mistake my way of posting my theories as meaning that I haven't spent buku time and thought on them.

I ask over and over and over again for you kids to say exactly way my crap don't fly.

You present a humorous and welcome parody of the ridiculous/pathetic cranks who pollute the net with bunk in the guise of science. Thank you, Marchimedes.

Well, I do try.

Over the years I've found I get read way more if I throw some little humor in.

After all, if I post and it don't get read then all I'm doing is practicing typing.

Nah, I've moved too many safes in the matter described for any one to tell me it can't be done exactly as how I describe it. Space? Well, I don't have a friggin clue. But the only difference between me and htey who are called that in the know is that I have found a way to explain why mass is accelerating away from other mass without making crap up.

I'm here cause I 'm looking for folks to tell me why my ideas don't work.

I've been at this for years and I'm still waiting for post #1 on why my theories won't work.

It really is that simple.

If I can tell a few jokes along with it all in my small world still doesn't mean I can't build a pyramid.

or...

as I say so often...

just cause I can't spell pyramid don't mean I can't build the friggin thing.

M
OP Offline
M
Bt now you (explicative deleted as I first posted this at a liberal web site where they love me dearly, as you can imagine) know I can't stands scientists that say "is" or "isn't" before they should be saying these things. "Might" or "might not" I can deal with. And no, this post an't about the 'global warming is %100 mad made' idiots. They're too easy. It's about the precambrian extinction. About 600 million years or so ago a lot of life died. Lotsa theories. A solar event is a good one, gamma ray burster maybe, and the usual giant meteor strike deal. Seen some few shows about blokes looking for the impact crater, we gots stuff in space now that makes this pretty easy, and so far a real good candidate for the crater ain't been found causing some few so-called scientists to get their dander up and 'proclaim' that as there is no giant crater from back then then that 'absolutely' rules out a meteor strike. But I thought of sumpin. Know what a subduction zone is? Here ya go...

http://images.google.com/images?q=subduction+zones&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADBF&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=r-A_S8bsOsyutgfm4bCGCQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCAQsAQwAw

the first one from that page...

So if the crater where at the plate that is going under another plate the evidence would by now be magma. No evidence.

Not saying that this is what caused the precambrian extintion, or that it didn't, just pointing out that these PhDs on TV are wrong when they say "can't", that's all. They must be giving these doctorate degrees away.

M
OP Offline
M

M
OP Offline
M
I have replaced the lost obelisk post, here ya go, same deal, copy and email and hand out to anyone you know, people you don't like get two copies.

Marchimedes #33380 02/13/10 12:28 AM
M
OP Offline
M
the sum total of Marchimedes's moving and stacking Egyptian stuff.

M
OP Offline
M

M
OP Offline
M

Marchimedes #33430 02/22/10 01:09 AM
M
OP Offline
M

If you are joking with me, it's pretty funny.

If not, well, then, you have really hurt my feelings and it's to my weeping closet for me, and then you gotta call Ma, she brings Ice Cream and the usual platitudes then it's off to therapy but what that means for you is no images for a while.

So there...

Marchimedes #33431 02/22/10 02:00 AM
M
OP Offline
M
so how do you have it set up, I post and all goes back to normal?

it's funny, good job.

"This time in imageville..."

Classic.

You know, I'm a lead moderator on you know what site and I do stuff too. I especially like telling some moron I've banned him but it takes 24 hours to take effect so they had better post like their life depended on it.

Never let it be said that ol' March can't take that which he doles out.

I screen shotted it though.

I HAVE PROOF.

I'm liking this site more and morte as the years go by.

And the cold water freezes first, damn it.

So there.

Gimme 100k.

I have plans...

M
OP Offline
M
My bad...

Superstar
Superstar
Perhaps it's time this thread went a little closer to its initial topic. Things seem to have gone far afield.

Amaranth

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Things seem to have gone far afield
Ah, so the universe is expanding grin

Marchi

You've been over this at least once before, Marchi, and you continue to insist that the Big Bang was a conventional kind of explosion in which matter was expelled into a pre-existing space. That is not the way of it (according to "they"). The Big Bang was the origin of all our universe including space. That space expanded, carrying the contents with it. Which helps to account for the fact that, on the large scale (strings of galaxy superclusters), the universe looks to be much the same everywhere - taking into account the fact that we look into the past.

"They who are called they" also tell that the age of the universe is estimated to be about 13.7b yrs, not the 14.5b that you keep insisting on. You might as well get it right - heaven knows what will happen to your theories if you don't grin On the other hand, what's a billion yrs between friends?

You may have discovered by now that quasars have been identified as young galaxies. They appear young because we see them as they were billions of years ago. Those quasars might now be galaxies like the Milky Way. And in those galaxies may be astronomers observing the Milky Way as it was 10 billion yrs ago - possibly as a quasar.

What lies beyond the visible universe is, obviously, unknown; but as far as I know there's no reason to believe that it's different to the visible part. If it is the same, then it seems that 'at this moment' there would be no quasars.

M
OP Offline
M
Things seem to have gone far afield
Ah, so the universe is expanding grin

OMG you should be ashamed of yourself.

Quote:
Marchi

You've been over this at least once before, Marchi, and you continue to insist that the Big Bang was a conventional kind of explosion in which matter was expelled into a pre-existing space. That is not the way of it (according to "they"). The Big Bang was the origin of all our universe including space.

I am never going to say that the big bang created existance itself.

Quote:
That space expanded, carrying the contents with it.

I say space is infinate, and probably was allready there. Cause space is really nothing. I can live with nothing being there already.

Quote:
Which helps to account for the fact that, on the large scale (strings of galaxy superclusters), the universe looks to be much the same everywhere - taking into account the fact that we look into the past.

"They who are called they" also tell that the age of the universe is estimated to be about 13.7b yrs, not the 14.5b that you keep insisting on.

At the time I wrote the first space theory is was 14.5 or this or that. Not until recentlyhas it been nailed down to 13.7. Do you really think I'm going to go back and edit drawings?

Quote:
You might as well get it right - heaven knows what will happen to your theories if you don't grin On the other hand, what's a billion yrs between friends?

Bah, numbers, math, don't amount to a hill of beans with my space theories. Don't need all that for my explanation.

Quote:
You may have discovered by now that quasars have been identified as young galaxies. They appear young because we see them as they were billions of years ago. Those quasars might now be galaxies like the Milky Way. And in those galaxies may be astronomers observing the Milky Way as it was 10 billion yrs ago - possibly as a quasar.

I'm fine with all that, notice I am on theory #3 right now.

Quote:
What lies beyond the visible universe is, obviously, unknown; but as far as I know there's no reason to believe that it's different to the visible part. If it is the same, then it seems that 'at this moment' there would be no quasars.

I'm fine with that also. Beyond visible space maybe be more stuff, buteventually there is just nothing, or what I call space.

Really, I'm going with at this point that the expansion is actually stopping, the interior of the matter buble is slowing down faster than the exterior becasue of te gravitaional pull of the matter on the opposite side of the buble. Our visible universe is being strectched, or the lung of the universe has finished filing and is jkust starting to exhale.

Expl;ain to me how thi idea does not mesh with all present gravitaional and physics laws and exlains all that we see withoutsome stinkin voodoo like dark energy.

See? No math.

M
OP Offline
M
Perhaps it's time this thread went a little closer to its initial topic. Things seem to have gone far afield.

Amaranth

Then change the title to "I, Marchimedes, and what I think".

Or...

"Marchimedes, a man for all the ages".

Or...

"Stuff Marchimedes writes down".

Or...

"This time in imageville..." Yes, I saved that, I have a file of that, you can't deny that, I still want an explanation, matter of fact, you gonna scold me while in the same breath having fun at my expence? For shame.

Or...

"Marchimedes, the train wreck that keeps making all the stops".

See what I'm gettin at here? Maybe we should have a poll. A contest to name my thread.

Why does this even bother you?

Friggin almost at 90k views, you should be giving me awards and naming wings of this place after me.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
I am never going to say that the big bang created existance itself.

Likewise.

Cause space is really nothing.

You find it difficult to conceive of a 'nothing' that doesn't include space? Physicists don't yet know what space is, so you call it nothing. But I suspect that its structure will be discovered.

Really, I'm going with at this point that the expansion is actually stopping

Why? Observations show the expansion of space to be accelerating.

Do you really think I'm going to go back and edit drawings?

No, but why post junk?

M
OP Offline
M
Quote:
[quote=Marchimedes]I am never going to say that the big bang created existance itself.

Likewise.

So we are good there, I guess.

Quote:
Cause space is really nothing.

You find it difficult to conceive of a 'nothing' that doesn't include space? Physicists don't yet know what space is, so you call it nothing. But I suspect that its structure will be discovered.

Well, gives you sumpin to get outta bed for.

I have trouble imagining that it has ANY structure. I say it's infinate nothing with matter in it here and that is us.

Quote:

From our point of view.

Quote:
Do you really think I'm going to go back and edit drawings?

No, but why post junk?

Junk? Damn, that's little harsh. Plenty of good stuff in there to make folks think. So 14.5 bilions years is still there, it affects the theory not at all. beside if I change the image, then I have to repost the image. New files, image downloads, and while I'm in there I'm bound to think of sumpin else, it will never end.

Or...

Your little site here has 90,ooo views of people reading junk.

That's a lot of stupid people.

And I'm the leader.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
I wouldn't be that harsh. Not everything you post is junk. But if you're out to inform, then you'd do better not to knowingly misinform - and if your choice of presentation format prevents that, then you'd do better not to use it.

Your apparent assumption that the number of views of a thread is a measure of the quality of posts therein (and the I.Q of the viewers) is baseless. A person may be attracted by a topic title, yet may consider the posts to be garbage. Whatever their opinion, they become a statistic as soon as they open the thread.

From our point of view

- Whose point of view did you have in mind?
- On what basis do you think their view would be different?

M
OP Offline
M
I wouldn't be that harsh. Not everything you post is junk. But if you're out to inform, then you'd do better not to knowingly misinform - and if your choice of presentation format prevents that, then you'd do better not to use it.

Everybody always givin Ol' Marchimedes advise.

Quote:
Your apparent assumption that the number of views of a thread is a measure of the quality of posts therein (and the I.Q of the viewers) is baseless. A person may be attracted by a topic title, yet may consider the posts to be garbage. Whatever their opinion, they become a statistic as soon as they open the thread.

Fine.

Then.

I'm the greatest topic titler that has ever lived. To wit, my politics thread...

Yea, I don't know what I'm doing, maybe I should listen to YOUR advice.

Quote:
- Whose point of view did you have in mind?
- On what basis do you think their view would be different?

Why don't you just tell me what you think is wrong with my theory and why.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Everybody always givin Ol' Marchimedes advise...Yea, I don't know what I'm doing, maybe I should listen to YOUR advice...Why don't you just tell me what you think is wrong with my theory and why...Yea, I don't know what I'm doing, maybe I should listen to YOUR advice

Hey, no offense, Marchi.

The point is, we're both in the same boat of relative ignorance. The difference is that I don't presume to form my own theories about stuff I know too little about, including cosmology. Speculate, perhaps. Quote the experts, certainly. What you present is, needless to say, greatly at variance with what we can all learn from expert sources. On the balance of probabilities, since you don't have a scientific leg to stand on, that makes your purported 'theories' null and void.

You have my opinion. That's all it is. Whether or not you construe it as advice is up to you.

M
M

Bah, numbers, math, don't amount to a hill of beans with my space theories. Don't need all that for my explanation.

Uh. Trying to overthrow physics, without math.
Great, lets see how this works out laugh

Really, I'm going with at this point that the expansion is actually stopping, the interior of the matter buble is slowing down faster than the exterior becasue of te gravitaional pull of the matter on the opposite side of the buble.

I maybe mistaken, but wasn't there something about: no gravitational pull inside a sphere?
Assuming your "bubble" is more or less spherical, the "pull of the matter on the opposite side of the bubble" would be of the same strength as the matter on this side of the bubble. Of course on the other side of the bubble is more matter, but this side of the bubble is not so far away. I guess Newton calculated that inside a spherical body the gravitational pull of the surrounding walls are canceling each other out, not only in the center of the sphere but also on every other point!
But that's done with numbers....

M
OP Offline
M
I guess you may have to zoom your screen some to read this.

I see I need to splain space #3 in simpler terms so the slower witted among you can comprehend it.

M
M
1) Why should the stars on the inside of your postulated shell be deceleration? It can't be gravitational pull.

2) The speed of galaxies is measured by their redshift.
As far as I know the redshift of distant galaxies shows a velocity of much more then lightspeed (several times of c).
Conventional this ist explained as not beeing the real velocity.
Instead it is theorized the expansion of space itself is stretching any lightwave on its way. So a lightwave emitted 7 billion years ago (at a time the universe was half ist current size) will be "stretched" by a factor of 2, so the apparent velocity will doubled.
The redshift by expanding space is exceeding the redshift by doppler-effect for distant objects.

Your hypothesis arises the following questions:
a) some objects are still decelerating, for unknown reasons.
b) some objects are still accelerating, for unknown reasons.
c) objects (including ourself) are capable of velocities much higher then lightspeed. (Since we measure distant objects moving away faster then lightspeed in any direction we have to conclude, in your hypothesis. that in fact we are moving away from the "inside shell" with several times c, the "outside shell" is faster yet.
d) Apparently there has to be some mismatch between "local physic" (objects can't move faster then light in our vicinity) and "large scale physics" (our galaxy is moving faster then light)
e) Postulating the possibility of higher velocities then c, also means changing the interactions of other forces - and yet distant galaxies seem to consist of the same elements as our.

3) The Big-Bang-Theory postulates an expansion of space. At the beginning there was almost no space (so to speak), the big bang happend not in some distant point of the universe, but *everywhere* at once.
Expanding space will lead to the same observation *in every place* in the universe: all distant objects are moving away, the more distant they are the faster they move away.
This explains why it seems like we are the center of universal expansion and yet we don't have to assume we have any special position in the universe.

Your theory at least requires a careful arrangement of acceleration/deceleration and positioning of our place (roughly in the middle of the shell)?

4) The microwave background radiation is thought of beeing emitted 400.000 years after the big bang, when the temperature decreased to ~3000K and electrons and protons recombined.
This radiation was emitted *everywhere* in the universe and expansion of space has stretched the wave length of this 3000K-light to the current temperature of 3K.
This radiation is isotrop.

In you hypothesis this radiation should be non-existing (moving faster then any other object it would surround the matter-sphere in an expanding light shell moving through the empty pre-existing-space), or it should be anisotrop, coming from the direction of the "Big-Bang-Point"?

Last edited by Momos; 03/03/10 11:27 AM.
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: Momos
1) Why should the stars on the inside of your postulated shell be deceleration? It can't be gravitational pull.

I don't have any stars inside the shell, the stars are the shell. [/quote]

Quote:
As far as I know the redshift of distant galaxies shows a velocity of much more then lightspeed (several times of c).

It doesn't show light speed as far as I know.

Quote:
Instead it is theorized the expansion of space itself is stretching any lightwave on its way. So a lightwave emitted 7 billion years ago (at a time the universe was half ist current size) will be "stretched" by a factor of 2, so the apparent velocity will doubled.
The redshift by expanding space is exceeding the redshift by doppler-effect for distant objects.

Actually in my space #3 theory matter has been decellerating from the moment of the big bang, so at halfway through the age of the universe the size of my univese is far more than half it's eventual size. And when I say "size of the universe" I mean the area of the mass that has been dispersed in said universe.

Quote:
Your hypothesis arises the following questions:
a) some objects are still decelerating, for unknown reasons.
b) some objects are still accelerating, for unknown reasons.

All objects in my universe are presently decellerating, at a point they will all be accellerating, but the visible evidence at this point does not support that.

Quote:
c) objects (including ourself) are capable of velocities much higher then lightspeed. (Since we measure distant objects moving away faster then lightspeed in any direction we have to conclude, in your hypothesis. that in fact we are moving away from the "inside shell" with several times c, the "outside shell" is faster yet.

No where in my theory do I geive any measure of speed besides decelerating.

Quote:
d) Apparently there has to be some mismatch between "local physic" (objects can't move faster then light in our vicinity) and "large scale physics" (our galaxy is moving faster then light)
e) Postulating the possibility of higher velocities then c, also means changing the interactions of other forces - and yet distant galaxies seem to consist of the same elements as our.

You are alone in your universe now, keep that crap outta my universe.

Quote:
3) The Big-Bang-Theory postulates an expansion of space. At the beginning there was almost no space (so to speak), the big bang happend not in some distant point of the universe, but *everywhere* at once.

I say space was allready there, infinate, matter dispersed around space does not make up space in my universe.

Quote:
Expanding space will lead to the same observation *in every place* in the universe: all distant objects are moving away, the more distant they are the faster they move away.

The farter away they are the bigger the rate of decelleration is, do not confuse that with acceleration, it is only apparent acceleration, and I only say that so you guys can visulaize this.

Quote:
This explains why it seems like we are the center of universal expansion and yet we don't have to assume we have any special position in the universe.

Your theory at least requires a careful arrangement of acceleration/deceleration and positioning of our place (roughly in the middle of the shell)?

Actually I would say we are closer to the inside or outside edge of the shell as eveidensed byt eh "hole in the universe" measurement that was taken. It's around here somewhere.

Quote:
4) The microwave background radiation is thought of beeing emitted 400.000 years after the big bang, when the temperature decreased to ~3000K and electrons and protons recombined.
This radiation was emitted *everywhere* in the universe and expansion of space has stretched the wave length of this 3000K-light to the current temperature of 3K.
This radiation is isotrop.

In you hypothesis this radiation should be non-existing (moving faster then any other object it would surround the matter-sphere in an expanding light shell moving through the empty pre-existing-space), or it should be anisotrop, coming from the direction of the "Big-Bang-Point"?

400,000 years after the big band my universe shell would have been still expanding. I guess the radiationhad to come from somewhere so it stands to reason that it came from all matter so it could be coming from the opposite side of my universes shell which would be 800,000 years worth of travel away from us at the time of it's beginning to radiate.

M
M

I don't have any stars inside the shell, the stars are the shell.

I know, but in your example with the cars, you explain the apparent expansion of the visible universe by galaxies on the "inner surface" of the shell decelerating and stars on the "outward parts" of the shell still accelerating.
The point is: there has to be some force which is causing this velocity difference.
Why are some stars, NOW (Billion of years after the Big Bang) decelerating faster then others?

http://books.google.com/books?id=_2GeJxVvyFMC&pg=PA35#v=onepage&q=&f=false , Page 36:

"However, they are often also described in terms of a redshift velocity, which is the recessional velocity whose linear Doppler effect z would give the same value z=Z, as the measured spectral redshift. The confusing aspect of all this is that the redshift velocity can easily become greater than the speed of light."

But I have to admit my lack of knowledge in this area.
The redshift caluclator
http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~elenc/Calculators/redshift.php?Ho=71&v1=1000&z1=0.001&v2=1000&z2=10 calculates for any value of z a velocity below c.
So I guess you are right.

Nevertheless aren't we measuring distant objects moving away from us with velocities at least up to 1/2 c?

According to your idea we are living in the middle of the shell of an expanding sphere.

Since we can observe distant object in every direction moving away from us with 0.5 c, this leads me to the conclusion the inner part of your shell is standing still, the middle part (including ourselves) is moving with 0.5c, the outer part is faster yet, moving with 1c.
Otherwise you can't explain the difference in velocities.

Furthermore in your hypothesis we should observe a universe with different velocity distributions to each side. Objects at the same distance to the "point of the BigBang" as us should be moving with the same velocity?
So we shouldn't see any movement of them at all?
(apart from movement due to stretching of the "shell" over a larger amount of space).

In any case, I think your idea is scientific, in the sense that your idea is falsifiable. Your hypothesis makes some observable predictions which don't fit the actual observations.

Expanding space will lead to the same observation *in every place* in the universe: all distant objects are moving away, the more distant they are the faster they move away.This explains why it seems like we are the center of universal expansion and yet we don't have to assume we have any special position in the universe.

Actually I would say we are closer to the inside or outside edge of the shell as eveidensed byt eh "hole in the universe" measurement that was taken. It's around here somewhere.

I would guess the size of this "hole" is wrong.

4)
In you hypothesis this [background] radiation should be non-existing (moving faster then any other object it would surround the matter-sphere in an expanding light shell moving through the empty pre-existing-space), or it should be anisotrop, coming from the direction of the "Big-Bang-Point"?

400,000 years after the big band my universe shell would have been still expanding. I guess the radiationhad to come from somewhere so it stands to reason that it came from all matter so it could be coming from the opposite side of my universes shell which would be 800,000 years worth of travel away from us at the time of it's beginning to radiate.

A shell of matter sending out radiation, would be clearly visible. We should have a clear anisotropy with most of the background radiation coming from one side of the universe.
Actually at any point X in time (years after the explosion) we should see only the radiation emitted by the parts of your shell in exactly X - light years distance. I would assume we would measure a circle of background radiation (The intersection of your universe-shell and a sphere with a radius of X light years.

M
OP Offline
M
[quote=Momos]1) Why should the stars on the inside of your postulated shell be deceleration? It can't be gravitational pull.

I don't have any stars inside the shell, the stars are the shell.

Quote:
I know, but in your example with the cars, you explain the apparent expansion of the visible universe by galaxies on the "inner surface" of the shell decelerating and stars on the "outward parts" of the shell still accelerating.

No. No no no no no.

There is no acceleration, the only acceleration was the initial big bang blast.

Quote:
The point is: there has to be some force which is causing this velocity difference.

(sighs) Yes, the fact that the matter closer to the outside edge of the universes shell is farther away from the mass of the universe than the matter on the inside of the shell.

Quote:
Why are some stars, NOW (Billion of years after the Big Bang) decelerating faster then others?

Because they are closer to the rest of the matter in the universe and therefor that matter has a greater pull on them.

Quote:
So I guess you are right.

Yea me.

Quote:
Nevertheless aren't we measuring distant objects moving away from us with velocities at least up to 1/2 c?

I don't have a clue. Don't matter.

According to your idea we are living in the middle of the shell of an expanding sphere.

Quote:
Since we can observe distant object in every direction moving away from us with 0.5 c, this leads me to the conclusion the inner part of your shell is standing still, the middle part (including ourselves) is moving with 0.5c, the outer part is faster yet, moving with 1c.
Otherwise you can't explain the difference in velocities.

No, go back to the car anology. The inner part is decellerating faster than the outer.

Quote:
Furthermore in your hypothesis we should observe a universe with different velocity distributions to each side. Objects at the same distance to the "point of the BigBang" as us should be moving with the same velocity?
So we shouldn't see any movement of them at all?
(apart from movement due to stretching of the "shell" over a larger amount of space).

Yes.

Quote:
In any case, I think your idea is scientific, in the sense that your idea is falsifiable. Your hypothesis makes some observable predictions which don't fit the actual observations.

Quote:
Expanding space will lead to the same observation *in every place* in the universe: all distant objects are moving away, the more distant they are the faster they move away.This explains why it seems like we are the center of universal expansion and yet we don't have to assume we have any special position in the universe.

Actually I would say we are closer to the inside or outside edge of the shell as evidensed by eh "hole in the universe" measurement that was taken. It's around here somewhere.

I would guess the size of this "hole" is wrong.

Depends on how far we are form the inner or outer limit.

4)
In you hypothesis this [background] radiation should be non-existing (moving faster then any other object it would surround the matter-sphere in an expanding light shell moving through the empty pre-existing-space), or it should be anisotrop, coming from the direction of the "Big-Bang-Point"?

400,000 years after the big bang my universe shell would have been still expanding. I guess the radiationhad to come from somewhere so it stands to reason that it came from all matter so it could be coming from the opposite side of my universes shell which would be 800,000 years worth of travel away from us at the time of it's beginning to radiate.

Quote:
A shell of matter sending out radiation, would be clearly visible. We should have a clear anisotropy with most of the background radiation coming from one side of the universe.
Actually at any point X in time (years after the explosion) we should see only the radiation emitted by the parts of your shell in exactly X - light years distance. I would assume we would measure a circle of background radiation (The intersection of your universe-shell and a sphere with a radius of X light years.

it all depends on how thick the shell is, doesn't it? At this point I can guess that it is at least 27.4 billion light years think.

Marchimedes #33734 03/26/10 05:26 PM
M
OP Offline
M

Marchimedes #33923 04/13/10 05:10 AM
M
OP Offline
M

Marchimedes #33924 04/13/10 05:14 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Just look at the general science discussion page.

Last edited by Marchimedes; 04/13/10 05:17 AM.

Marchimedes #33934 04/14/10 02:12 AM
M
OP Offline
M
What? No "way to go Marchimedes, nice job gettin 100,000 views there" or nuttin?

Man, what a bunch of stiffs. you'd think this site gets a 100,000 view thread everyday, is it any wonder I had to throw my own party? And you know how shy I am and all. Does this site have many 100,000 viewss threads?

Does this site have 100,000 views on any page?

It tell ya, a guy friggin busts his hump day and night and this is the thanks I get? I mean would buying me a beer friggin kill ya? Maybe a nice card or sumpin? A plaque? A PM telling me I don't suck? Have you been to other science sites? Seen what they have? I tell ya what they don't have...Marchimedes. (So they always ban me, doesn't count)You could go there and taunt them, "na na na na na, you don't have any 100,000 view threee-eads, we do and you don't". And then link to here.

This is an advertising dream. Or as I like to call it "smackvertising".

I think you should make me an honorary moderator or sumpin. You know, put "hero moderator" under my name. Don't actually give me mod powers or anything, but let me say I'm a mod, chicks dig that.

You know, this is the perfect opportunity to throw off the yoke of "geeks" and "nerds". I could be the sites Bluto, we'll have Toga parties and I'll get you guys laid, finally.

I'm gonna go home now and pout.

Marchimedes #34201 05/05/10 01:42 AM
M
OP Offline
M
My baby sister of 8 years, Stacy June, Mother of Mckenzi and Nick, suffered a stroke today on her right side. They got her to the ER quick, don't know much right now, but those of you that do would you do that? Pray?

Please.

Marchimedes #34202 05/05/10 02:44 AM
Megastar
Megastar
Granted; best intentions and prayers are coming your way. Good luck to you and all. Eighteen hours/day of rehab. is a goal to work towards. Hope you have that opportunity! Good going on the 100k too. Keep on.... ~SA

Marchimedes #34204 05/05/10 04:23 AM
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Thoughts are with you all, Marchi. May your sis recover quickly. All the best to you and yours.

redewenur #34214 05/05/10 04:39 PM
Superstar
Superstar
I hope your sister recovers. She will be in my thoughts. May the best outcome prevail.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Sorry to hear it. I hope things get better for you all.

Marchimedes #34219 05/05/10 07:53 PM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Marchimedes

I think your sister should get well soon because you had
the faith to ask for others to pray.

believing that prayer will help.

and I hope she does have a speedy recovery.

paul #34221 05/06/10 04:27 AM
K
Megastar
Megastar
K
It helps is his sister knows about all that praying, and believes in it too!

paul #34957 06/14/10 06:17 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Marchimedes

I think your sister should get well soon because you had
the faith to ask for others to pray.

Can't prove that, but I'll take it any day, the kid is doing fine, full recovery so far.

Originally Posted By: samwik
Granted; best intentions and prayers are coming your way. Good luck to you and all. Eighteen hours/day of rehab. is a goal to work towards. Hope you have that opportunity! Good going on the 100k too. Keep on.... ~SA

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers.

(observes minimum necessary time before reverting back to usual humble polite self)

Well lookie there, actual mention of my wonderful accomplishments, the 100k view mark. Why thank you samwik.

See, it won't crash the server to come out and tell me good job.

Ah, a problem perhaps with the theory of relativity as I understand it.

So as you approach the speed of light time slows down for the traveler. The way I've read it any object or person at speed has time pass slower than a stationary object of person.

For instance, two men born at the exact same time, slated to live for the same amount of time exactly...

One is a Concord pilot of many years, the other a snail herder, the snail herder is gonna die first.

Now I understand that this phenomena has been so-called proven, with clocks on space ships and what not. I still don't get it.

Say I get in my spaceship, The USS Blowme, and take off at c, the speed of light, and travel for 1 year. I should have traveled one light year. For you here on Earth the theory of relativity states that a greater amount of time has passed, lettuce call it 10 years.

From your perspective I should have traveled 10 light years.

But in the USS Blowme I've only went 1 light year.

Or does your time apply to me and I've traveled 10 light years? In one year, which would make my speed 10c? Which means I've passed the universal speed limit of c.

See what I'm getting at here?

Has this paradox been addressed by the the so-called scientists?

The way I look at this there is a major flaw in the theory of relativity.

What gives?

Marchimedes #34976 06/15/10 04:41 AM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Marchimedes

Quote:
the kid is doing fine

congratulations on everything.!!

Marchimedes #34982 06/15/10 04:46 PM
I
I

Ah, a problem perhaps with the theory of relativity as I understand it.

So as you approach the speed of light time slows down for the traveler. The way I've read it any object or person at speed has time pass slower than a stationary object of person.

Say I get in my spaceship, The USS Blowme, and take off at c, the speed of light, and travel for 1 year. I should have traveled one light year. For you here on Earth the theory of relativity states that a greater amount of time has passed, lettuce call it 10 years.

From your perspective I should have traveled 10 light years.

But in the USS Blowme I've only went 1 light year.

What you're referring to is commonly called the twins paradox.

Relativity is not exactly a intuitive thing. The point you are missing is in relativity, not all observers are created equal. Its explained far better in the twins paradox page I've linked to then I could possibly hope to explain myself. It all has to do with who is under acceleration - acceleration puts you into an "inferior" reference frame.

Long story short, for the person on the space ship traveling near C it will seem to take less than a year to travel 1 light-year, while for an outside observer it will appear that the ship takes a year to go one light year.

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA
ImagingGeek #34984 06/15/10 06:10 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: ImagingGeek
[quote=Marchimedes]
What you're referring to is commonly called the twins paradox.

Ah, wikipedia, what a virus laden Hell hole that place is, might as well link me to barnyard porn sites with down loadable "games" and "click here for a free prize" icons.

But I searched the twin paradox and I see it's just the name of what I've seen all these years.

Quote:
Relativity is not exactly a intuitive thing.

You're telling me, but what I'm striving for here is to understand it intuitively and then splain it in simple terms.

Quote:

The point you are missing is in relativity, not all observers are created equal. Its explained far better in the twins paradox page I've linked to then I could possibly hope to explain myself. It all has to do with who is under acceleration - acceleration puts you into an "inferior" reference frame.

Ah, derrrrrrrr...
Quote:

Long story short, for the person on the space ship traveling near C it will seem to take less than a year to travel 1 light-year, while for an outside observer it will appear that the ship takes a year to go one light year.

Bryan

Right. My problem is me in my ship going balls and "seems".

If the clock in the good USS Blowme says I've been on board for, say, 1/2 a year and I've traveled light year that would seem to me that I've been going at 2c.

Which would to me invalidate the concept of c being the universal speed limit.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that either there is a problem with relativity or the idea that c is a speed limit. I can't see both holding true.

Marchimedes #34989 06/16/10 02:45 AM
Superstar
Superstar
ImagingGeek,
When I click on your link to wikipedia I get a "server not found" error. Do you have another link?

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Amaranth, ImagingGeek's link fixed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox

redewenur #34994 06/16/10 08:26 AM
Superstar
Superstar
Thanks, rede. I appreciate that.

Marchimedes #35793 08/20/10 07:38 PM
M
OP Offline
M
125k+ views.

I do believe I'm starting to warm up to you kids.

Listen, I need a 360 degree dispersal map of all these super novas that we use to determine that the universe (visible universe I say, visible) is expanding. You know, which directions they are and how much they are red shifted.

I figured maybe I go go to a big science type site with lots of interesting, intelligent folks who know their bidness.

But I came here instead.

Does anyone know where to find a map such as this?

Marchimedes #36198 09/18/10 06:02 PM
M
OP Offline
M

I was wondering...

Dark matter is uncounted for mass in the universe. We are pretty sure it's there because of gravitational lensing. That is, look at a distant galaxy and the light from stuff behind said galaxy gets bent around it by the gravitational mass of the galaxy and the amount estimated mass in the galaxy is insufficient to account for the stuff that we see. There should be more mass. We call this dark matter, not to be confused with dark energy, which I am not fond of as shown in my space theories. Now, I've read that even in the deep vacuum of space there is on average 1 atom per cubic centimeter. Add up all the space between stars in said galaxy and you've got a good bit of mass. Knowing scientist as I seem do and their propensity to overlook the obvious I wonder if all these little atoms in the vacuum of space could be the mysterious dark matter.

Marchimedes #36203 09/18/10 11:03 PM
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Marchi, it's been found that the distribution of galaxies coincides with the distribution of Dark Matter, according to a study published in Nature journal a few years ago. The supposed reason is the gravitational attraction of 'ordinary' matter toward dark matter. That doesn't mean there's no Dark Matter in the cosmic cavities that you mention. I imagine there is. But the view at the moment is that most of it's in the same regions as most of the ordinary matter.

redewenur #36388 10/02/10 03:15 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Marchi, it's been found that the distribution of galaxies coincides with the distribution of Dark Matter, according to a study published in Nature journal a few years ago. The supposed reason is the gravitational attraction of 'ordinary' matter toward dark matter.

Stands to reason.

Quote:
That doesn't mean there's no Dark Matter in the cosmic cavities that you mention. I imagine there is. But the view at the moment is that most of it's in the same regions as most of the ordinary matter.

Also stands to reason.

But what I was looking for is has the so-called scientists accounted for the normal interstellar matter I referred to as normal mass of galaxies?

And another question...

I'm looking for information of how long it would take to get to light speed from a dead stop at various accelerations. For instance, at 2 G's how long would it take to get to c?

Marchimedes #36389 10/02/10 06:02 PM
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
But what I was looking for is has the so-called scientists accounted for the normal interstellar matter I referred to as normal mass of galaxies?

Regarding interstellar - as opposed to intergalactic - distribution of Dark Matter, I don't know what the current data is purported to suggest. A few years ago, I asked an astronomer if dark matter might affect the orbits of planets in our Solar System. His answer was no, because the Dark Matter seems to occupy the space around the Milky Way, and if there is some local interstellar Dark Matter, it's an insufficient amount to have a measurable effect. So, in other words, all (as far as anyone can tell) of the stuff within the visible galaxy is reckoned to be normal matter, with Dark Matter surrounding it and affecting the characteristics of its rotation. Since no one yet knows what DM is, it's not a good time in history to be making bold assertions about it. The research is ongoing.

http://www.solstation.com/x-objects/darkhalo.htm

And another question...

I'm looking for information of how long it would take to get to light speed from a dead stop at various accelerations. For instance, at 2 G's how long would it take to get to c?

Thanks to RickB, who did the work for us...

At 1g:

99%............6.8 years
99.9%..........21.66 years
99.99%.........68.5 years
99.999%........216.76 years

You can cut those times in half by going at "2g" instead of "1g"...but you still have the same problem of the times stretching out to infinity.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090425080114AAIsYZx

I find it difficult to grasp, Marchi, since it's all about frames of reference (with more than a bit of maths to understand). For example:

"So in theory you can travel across the galaxy in just 12 years of your own time"

So the times above are as witnessed by the guys at mission control, not to anyone aboard the spacecraft.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html

redewenur #36390 10/02/10 06:16 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
His answer was no, because the Dark Matter seems to occupy the space around the Milky Way, and if there is some local interstellar Dark Matter, it's an insufficient amount to have a measurable effect.

Go out into an open space on a slightly misty day, you will observe little or no mist close to you. In the distance, however, you will see a lot more mist, even though the mist might be evenly and widely distributed. Could it be the same with dark matter? Could it be evenly distributed throughout the galaxy, but detectable only with distance.

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #36392 10/02/10 08:21 PM
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Nice analogy, Bill, but unsupported by the data, which continues to be consistent with a halo configuration, as supported by this recent research:

http://www.solstation.com/x-objects/darkhalo.htm

redewenur #36414 10/04/10 04:26 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Since no one yet knows what DM is, it's not a good time in history to be making bold assertions about it.

Nuttin but net.

Thanks to RickB, who did the work for us...
Quote:

At 1g:

99%............6.8 years
99.9%..........21.66 years
99.99%.........68.5 years
99.999%........216.76 years

You can cut those times in half by going at "2g" instead of "1g"...but you still have the same problem of the times stretching out to infinity.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090425080114AAIsYZx

Ah, thank you. Not that long actually.

Quote:
I find it difficult to grasp, Marchi, since it's all about frames of reference (with more than a bit of maths to understand). For example:

"So in theory you can travel across the galaxy in just 12 years of your own time"

So the times above are as witnessed by the guys at mission control, not to anyone aboard the spacecraft.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html

Yea, I get the observer point of view deal.

Ties in with my speed of light limit too.

Thanks, now I've got yet more pondering to do...

M
OP Offline
M
Okay kids, it's election time and I'm terribly busy at my political forum, where I am, by the way, a lead moderator, go figure huh? Especially at a place that is named liberalforum. See, the joke is I'm not very liberal.

Anyway, it's time to pimp that site, or my thread there actually...

http://liberalforum.org/liberalforum/index.php?/topic/22244-and-the-horse-you-rode-in-on/

It's a 120k+ view thread, lagging just a little behind this thread, which is odd, but there ya go.

And don't worry, I pimp this thread/site over there...

[quote name='teacher' timestamp='1286209627' post='1832441']
And some speed of light stuff...

http://www.scienceagogo.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=36414&#Post36414
[/quote]

See? All's fair.

Anyway, it's election time and if you are a liberal you need to be abused and that is just the thread for that to get done at.

It's a public service/humanitarian kind of thing.

M
OP Offline
M
Now the so-called scientists are saying that there are triple the stars that they thought there was.

So much for dark matter.

S
stela
Unregistered
stela
Unregistered
S

#36812 12/10/10 07:33 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: stela

Classic case.

The so-called scientists tell us that using the light from distant super novas in other galaxies being red Doppler shifted that the universe, hang on, as I say it, appears to be accelerating away from us.

New here?

Now the so-called scientists are saying that there are triple the stars that they thought there was.

So much for dark matter.

I guess I should, expand (hehe) on that.

But first, I would like to say I had beer for lunch.

Anyway, again, the so-called scientists have been telling us that by using gravitational lensing that there is a large amount of mass missing from the universe.

These gents, in their genius, and in their propensity to telling us a bunch of crap to explain the half of crap that they don't know, as opposed to the other half that they make up, to get grants, you know, have accounted for the missing matter by making up "dark matter", that is, a mysterious, apparently invisible, bunch of matter we can't see.

Well, now that they have come out and said that there are, apparently, triple the amount of stars than they first thought, then that would account for all the missing mass now, wouldn't it?

See?

Like I been saying all along, these guys are making it up as they go along.

Like the "dark energy".

But then I gots that one covered.

Giddyup.

Really, stela, you should read.

-

I see you folks are ready to give me the 150k view mark.

I am well pleased with this.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B

Would that be physics or astronomy that you teach?

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #36828 12/13/10 04:46 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: Bill S.

Would that be physics or astronomy that you teach?

Ha, good one.

Nah, I don't teach Jack. If fix, install and destroy stuff for a living.

I sure wing this science gig pretty well though, eh?

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:

Especially after a few beers. smile

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #36846 12/15/10 07:01 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Quote:

Especially after a few beers.

Nuttin like knocking back a dozen or two cold ones to help one think out of the box.

M
OP Offline
M
can't have my thread here going second page.

I'm a busy and impotent man in the world of internet political debate and while I have an image or two to make about pyramid leveling and a nice rant about astro physicists lemme, for now, leave you with a joke I wrote that I so very much enjoy...

The protesters. Cairo, Egypt.

What's wrong with this picture?

Where the women at?

At home, furiously sewing emergency burkas.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
There must be some way in which emergency burkas contribute to the expansion of the Universe. smile

There never was nothing.
K
K
Expansion/Contraction is a viable choice against the big bang. It does seems to explain the small cosmological constant. Is receiving second look due to our 25% dark mass maybe in Feynmann's 'ghost of a vortex.' And appears the 70% dark energy is the ether.

M
OP Offline
M
There must be some way in which emergency burkas contribute to the expansion of the Universe. smile

It's posts like that that make this train wreck late.

Originally Posted By: katesisco
Expansion/Contraction is a viable choice against the big bang.

Why does it have to be against? Couldn't the contraction end up with a black hole like something that does a big bang kinda deal?

Quote:
It does seems to explain the small cosmological constant. Is receiving second look due to our 25% dark mass maybe in Feynmann's 'ghost of a vortex.' And appears the 70% dark energy is the ether.

I'm gonna need that in English please.

Maybe some pictures, that always helps.

M
OP Offline
M

Marchimedes #38289 05/02/11 10:24 PM
Megastar
Megastar

I was wondering...

Dark matter is uncounted for mass in the universe. We are pretty sure it's there because of gravitational lensing. That is, look at a distant galaxy and the light from stuff behind said galaxy gets bent around it by the gravitational mass of the galaxy and the amount estimated mass in the galaxy is insufficient to account for the stuff that we see. There should be more mass....
When I read what modern astrophysicists say to each other I ask myself: Who are these people? They sound like theologians.

Don't get me wrong, I find what they say very interesting.

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
G
G
That doesn't mean there's no Dark Matter in the cosmic cavities that you mention. I imagine there is. But the view at the moment is that most of it's in the same regions as most of the ordinary matter.

Marchimedes #38676 05/31/11 06:29 AM
B
B
Dark matter is uncounted for mass in the universe. We are pretty sure it's there because of gravitational lensing. That is, look at a distant galaxy and the light from stuff behind said galaxy gets bent around it by the gravitational mass of the galaxy and the amount estimated mass in the galaxy is insufficient to account for the stuff that we see.

When I first became interested in relativity it was scientifically accepted that the mass of distant galaxies was insufficient to cause the amount of redshift observed.

Part of my initial submission to academia suggested that we may be underestimating the mass of those galaxies.

My submission was ignored however seven years later I was delighted to read an article in New Scientist to the effect that astrophysicists had determined that the galaxies were 500 to a thousand times more massive than had previously been estimated.

Perhaps even that prediction may need to be revised.

Bill 6 #38678 05/31/11 02:44 PM
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Bill 6
...it was scientifically accepted that the mass of distant galaxies was insufficient to cause the amount of redshift observed.

That's interesting, Bill. How is the mass of a galaxy related to it's redshift?

redewenur #38680 05/31/11 10:37 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I haven't seen anything about that discussion, but an extremely massive galaxy would show a gravitational red shift. Actually any size galaxy would have one, but normally it would be so small it would be indetectible.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
redewenur #38681 06/01/11 12:47 AM
B
B
How is the mass of a galaxy related to it's redshift?

I shall assume that you are happy with the answer provided.

Bill 6 #38682 06/01/11 02:32 AM
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
So you may have the satisfaction of saying see my analysis was right if thats the case.

The problem really became there are many galaxies which should be flying apart.

The redshift they can live with as a one day we will get around to working it out when there galaxies should be flying apart they have to act.

Bit like a small oil leak in your car versus the engine blowing up both are signs of a problem one is much more compelling to act :-)

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
Orac #38686 06/01/11 03:50 AM
B
B
Orac,

Other than the fact that my posting related to gravitational lensing, not the structural nature of galaxies, your message left me baffled.

Bill #38688 06/01/11 07:34 AM
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Bill
I haven't seen anything about that discussion, but an extremely massive galaxy would show a gravitational red shift. Actually any size galaxy would have one, but normally it would be so small it would be indetectible.

Bill Gill

Yes, I can see that. It's very surprising to me that such small gravitational redshifts can be confidently differentiated from redshift due to recessional velocity.

I should think it involves redshift measurement of Cepheid variables and Type 1a supernovae, but there's still the problem of differentiating the causes of the shift.

If anyone knows of a source of further relevant info, I'd be glad of it.

redewenur #38691 06/02/11 02:00 AM
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Sorry Bill.S that english thing again was making an analagy to a car and why they ignored your theory back then. Ignore it wasn't important.

Last edited by Orac; 06/02/11 02:00 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
Marchimedes #39394 08/09/11 07:47 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Lookie there, over 200,000 views on this most glorious of threads.

I'm thinking some sort of prize is in order.

I'll wait...

Marchimedes #39400 08/10/11 03:09 AM
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
I suppose you realize, Marchi, that more could be worse rather than better. After all, 200,000 views yet so few participants might mean that the vast majority find it not even worthy of comment. Nevermind, they probably love you anyway grin

W
warp technician
Unregistered
warp technician
Unregistered
W
Hi
I think a lot of scifi films and TV programmes have infused the idea of space travel in that science fiction has become science fact. Shows such as Star Trek, Space 1999 and Unicorn Four have explained ideas regarding space travel in both the imaginary plane and the theoretical plane. If you take the TV series Unicorn Four for example there were some far out ideas there and a lot of which could be possible as soon as energy sources have been created and stabilised so that they can be used for their intergalactical functions. One example is here at the start of the first episode of Unicorn Four.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpqahotyI0M

redewenur #39850 08/31/11 06:19 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I suppose you realize, Marchi, that more could be worse rather than better. After all, 200,000 views yet so few participants might mean that the vast majority find it not even worthy of comment. Nevermind, they probably love you anyway grin

So...no prize?

Fine.

Then.

I'll go pout somewhere, nah, you know what always makes me feel more betterer?

Abusing liberals.

Nowz when youse guys seriously consider a prize.

Marchimedes #39851 08/31/11 08:28 PM
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Marchi, I think you do deserve a prize.

You don't pretend to be a scientist, you just offer some ideas in a good-natured way, and you don't object to being told when you're wrong.

redewenur #39865 09/01/11 07:55 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Orac
Sorry Bill.S ....

Just spent lots of time looking back through the thread to see why you were apologising to me; then I realised you were offering your regrets to Bill 6!

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #40099 09/12/11 01:49 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Here’s a point disinterred from page one.

"All the mass gets hurled out at the same velocity"

- No, it doesn't.

Is the relative recession rate of all receding objects the same? E.g. Given that the distance between any two objects is the same; would they recede from each other at the same speed?

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #40104 09/12/11 05:05 PM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
I guess your talking about the big bang.

as in any explosion there would be differences in the magnatude of the force that caused all the stuff to move outward , so no everything would not move at the same speed.'

I would think that the first stuff moved slower because there was more for the explosion to push.

the middle would have moved faster.

the last stuff would move even faster.

sort of an inverted ball.

paul #40110 09/12/11 09:35 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
I would think that the first stuff moved slower because there was more for the explosion to push.

Could you not also argue that stuff would be moving faster at the beginning because the force driving it would more concentrated. The trouble is, this begins to sound like an explosion in space, which we are assured the BB was not.

Then again, if your reasoning is right, perhaps you have found an explanation for accelerating expansion.

Perhaps you and Finiter are both heading for Nobel Prizes. smile

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #40111 09/13/11 12:13 AM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Then again, if your reasoning is right, perhaps you have found an explanation for accelerating expansion

I was just thinking about the cause of the big bang a few years back and my conclusion was that as everything came together the pressures caused the energy of matter to escape
this way atoms could get closer and closer to each other as they are compacted in towards the center.

then at some point there is an explosion as the energy returns.

perhaps all the energy of all the atoms is striped away through the compression and once the energy is gone then
the compression itself through the heat causes the explosion.

and the explosion would occur at the center where compression and heat is greatest.

this would mean that there would need to be a tremendous explosion to push all the matter away because energy really doesnt weigh anything.

anyway its a thought I had.
Im sure somebody needs to trim it up and change a few things.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.