Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
C
"And you might have actually done some work in the sciences before you wrote: "A lot of folks in academia would be out of business if they didn't have a cause celebre." which was more than enough of a calling card for anyone to slam the door on the Tuperware salesperson."
- - Only to those who have confined their reading to Earth in the Balance.

"No. Because science doesn't give a damn about the pontification of self-annointed experts on any side of any debate. We pay attention to results obtained in accordance with the scientific method."
- - Your statements say otherwise. You've accepted data on someone's say so. I'm just here to tell you you've bought a bill of goods. And who is we?

"If you can't separate the advertising fluff from the substantive you probably think Tide makes your clothes whiter and brighter and Bucky Beaver brushes his teeth."
- - Wow, you've old enough to remember Ipana? I would have guessed you were still in college!

Friendship is like peeing your pants. The whole world can see it, but only you experience the warmth.
E
OP Offline
E
Quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Elwood:
"Obviously, there is a trend, that resource consumption is becoming a problem, with current population levels."- - Obvious to whom and based on what?
Well, there are things that one can observe directly:
1. Quality of water and its amount is a problem. I have to buy bottled water.
2. The fish that is sold, comes with pollutants, and warning not to eat more than once a week.
3. Forests are being depleated, for habitat etc.
4. Air we breath is not as fresh
Quote:
A lot of folks in academia would be out of business if they didn't have a cause celebre.
That is a cause of PSEUDO science. Which is PARASITING on the problems.

The pollution and the environment must be studied, along with the pollution of science.

ES

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Elwood wrote:
" - Your statements say otherwise. You've accepted data on someone's say so. I'm just here to tell you you've bought a bill of goods. And who is we?"

Unless you live at the bottom of an abandoned mine shaft you need to interact with and learn from other members of your species. Of course I accept what others say ... but I do so by looking for generally accepted, verifiable, statements. Which I then evaluate on the basis of the origin of the statement, who benefits, who loses, and the implications of the statement possibly being incorrect. Which toothpaste I use is of little consequence. Whether Greenland is melting has major consequences.

Learn critical thinking skills. They are what separated your ancestors from the Saber Toothed Kitty Cats.

DA Morgan
C
C
"but I do so by looking for generally accepted, verifiable, statements."
- - If you think the globe is warming due to anthropogenic causes, and/or that the current temperatures are the warmest ever, and/or that we have warmed GLOBALLY by several Celsius degrees, and/or that such trend is irreversible, and/or that such trend is also reflected by atmoshperic temperature readings (do you remember my pointing out that this is not a closed system) then your research efforts have been too shallow and too provincial. Try listening to people with whom you disagree, instead of the amen chorus.

"Which I then evaluate on the basis of the origin of the statement, who benefits, who loses,"
- - not a bad start
"and the implications of the statement possibly being incorrect."
- - which has exactly WHAT to do with its efficacy?

"Whether Greenland is melting has major consequences."
- - It clearly is not.

"Learn critical thinking skills."
- - BTDT

"They are what separated your ancestors from the Saber Toothed Kitty Cats."
- - You believe in evolution of the species as well? Not surprising.

Friendship is like peeing your pants. The whole world can see it, but only you experience the warmth.
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
You believe in the tooth fairy, Easter bunny, and Santa Clause as well? Not surprising.

You really should look at doing something about that brainwashing you were subjected to. Got some very shocking news for you.

1. Your family is not better than other families.
2. You community is not better than other communities.
3. You country is not better than other countries.
4. Your religion does not have the ear of the creator.
5. When you are dead ... you are dead. There is no RIP.

If you are going to come to SAGG expect to have to deal head-on with reality.

DA Morgan
C
C
"1. Quality of water and its amount is a problem. I have to buy bottled water."
- - Some advice for you. Buy a carbon block filtration system and bottle your own water for the following reasons:
1- Much cheaper in the long run and no bottles to dispose of/recycle.
2- Bottled water standards are exactly the same as tap water standards. Want to start your own bottled water company? All you need is a supply of bottles.
3- Plasticizer migration. Bottled water (most of it) comes in plastic bottles. Chemicals migrate from the plastic into the water. If you bottle your own, you can drink it the day it's bottled and before any measurable amount of pollution can occur. Either that or buy Gerolsteiner or others that come in glass.

"2. The fish that is sold, comes with pollutants, and warning not to eat more than once a week."
- - Eat fish that don't eat other fish and eat more veggies.

"3. Forests are being depleated, for habitat etc."
- - Not true. America, for one, has more trees than it had when Columbus landed.

4. Air we breath is not as fresh
- - Not as fresh as what? Air quality in my neighborhood is better than it was twenty years ago. And assuming you don't smoke and haven't ravaged the cilia that protect you, a little crud in the air won't kill you.

"That is a cause of PSEUDO science. Which is PARASITING on the problems."
- - Precisely. When a moron like Al Gore can publish a best seller on a topic on which he is grossly misinformed, we're all in trouble from sycophants like DA who thinks he knows it all when he barely knows his/her way home.

"The pollution and the environment must be studied, along with the pollution of science."
- - Yes, but studied by whom? Our problems lie in the fact that so many have put their trust in people undeserving of it.

C
C
"You believe in the tooth fairy, Easter bunny, and Santa Clause as well? Not surprising."
- - Not sure to whom this is directed. I didn't hear anyone post about any of the above, but then you do like to decide what others think so that you can tell them they're wrong!

"You really should look at doing something about that brainwashing you were subjected to."
- - See above...

"1. Your family is not better than other families."
- - Totally agree, never said otherwise

"2. You community is not better than other communities."
- - Actually, there are statistical measurements that say my community is pretty darned good. Probably not the best, but far from the worst.

"3. You country is not better than other countries."
- - As above. I live in the US, the one country above all others that people are choosing over their homelands. Although popularity is a poor measure, GDP, GNP, standard of living, weather, etc. can all be used to demonstrate that my country actually IS better than nearly all others. I'm sure there are several that I haven't considered, so I won't say "ALL."

"4. Your religion does not have the ear of the creator."
- - Actually, it might or might not. Depending upon the actual nature of the Deity, I suspect that ALL religions have the creator's ear equally. For some however, it is better to fly under the radar!!

"5. When you are dead ... you are dead. There is no RIP."
- - On this you are verifiably incorrect. Having been dead, I can assure you that there is more.

"If you are going to come to SAGG expect to have to deal head-on with reality."
- - I was hoping to do just that. Will reality be here any time soon?

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Cousin Elwood
"You believe in the tooth fairy, Easter bunny, and Santa Clause as well? Not surprising."
- - Not sure to whom this is directed. I didn't hear anyone post about any of the above, but then you do like to decide what others think so that you can tell them they're wrong!

sorry to tell you this Cousin Elwood, but DA scientific method amount to insluting and trashing anyone that comes up with an arguement he cant counter.

nice meeting you.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Elwood wrote:
"I live in the US, the one country above all others that people are choosing over their homelands."

I live in the US too. But I'm getting out as soon as I can. I refuse to live in a country that has lost its moral and ethical compass and replaced it with self-righteousness and hypocrisy.

Those that are choosing the US are not the educated from Europe they are the unwanted refuse from Latin America. Those that want the US are the Chinese, Indians, and Europeans who are buying up the assets as fast as they can.

DA Morgan
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Actually dehammer I don't insult many of the people that post here. Because many of them have gone to school, stayed awake, understand the value of education, read and perform research from reputable sources.

Then there are the Tridents and dehammers of the world who think they can behave like a Fox News commentator and saying things loudly enough makes them true.

You are wallowing in wilfull ignorance. Not once have you posted a link to a reputable source of information. Not once have you posted a reference to a book. Not once have you backed up any statement you've made that was challenged by even so much as a URL.

<SARCASM>
Wow! Where can I follow you to master?
</SARCASM>

DA Morgan
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
DA Morgan
Member # 5

Member Rated:
posted 04-22-2006 11:23 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Actually dehammer I don't insult many of the people that post here. Because many of them have gone to school, stayed awake, understand the value of education, read and perform research from reputable sources.

Then there are the Tridents and dehammers of the world who think they can behave like a Fox News commentator and saying things loudly enough makes them true.

You are wallowing in wilfull ignorance. Not once have you posted a link to a reputable source of information. Not once have you posted a reference to a book. Not once have you backed up any statement you've made that was challenged by even so much as a URL."

how can i post a "reputable sourse" when by your definition no one that disagrees with you is reputable. you see thats the problem with insulting ppl. you refuse to see anyone that disagrees with you and has good arguements as begin real, or having any kind of knowledge.

in order to work in the laser electroptics field, as i have, you have to have a good understanding of math and science. you also have to have an open mind, which is why you will never work outside of a university, as that is not a requirement for teaching.

as far as fox news is concerned, save for a few ppl that i watch for war news, i have little time for them. since you have so much in common with them, i do understand how much you like them. i prefer more open minded news sourses.

C
C
"I live in the US too. But I'm getting out as soon as I can. I refuse to live in a country that has lost its moral and ethical compass and replaced it with self-righteousness and hypocrisy."
- - Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way. I am, however, mildly curious as to where you expect to find better conditions! I'm also surpised that you would have a problem with self-righteousness and hypocrisy...

"Those that are choosing the US are not the educated from Europe they are the unwanted refuse from Latin America."
- - The number of subjects on which you are clueless continues to mount. It's the dregs of the earth who are getting in because we don't control our borders. Educated people from Europe are TRYING to get in following the rules, and not succeeding. But then that's the immigration topic, and you haven't demonstrated a grasp of climatology yet.

"Those that want the US are the Chinese, Indians, and Europeans who are buying up the assets as fast as they can."
- - It seem they recognize value. You, otoh, are looking at prime property in Rwanda no doubt...

C
C
"which is why you will never work outside of a university, as that is not a requirement for teaching."
- - He/she is a perfesser??? **** man, that explains everything!!!

C
C
"sorry to tell you this Cousin Elwood, but DA scientific method amount to insluting and trashing anyone that comes up with an arguement he cant counter."
- - As I've seen

"nice meeting you."
- - Back at ya. I knew there must be intelligent life here!!

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
"I knew there must be intelligent life here!!"

had to be, your here lol

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know where the pollutant substance Chlorofluorocarbon (CFC)is found and how it is formed? I think this is a problem, that i need to know more about.. help anyone?

A
A
CFC was first synthesized in 1928.. CFCs are inert in the lower atmosphere, they undergo a significant reaction in the upper atmosphere and/or stratosphere..CFCs were/are thought to be a major source of inorganic chlorine in the stratosphere following their photolytic decomposition by UV radiation.. it's thought some of the released chlorine becomes active in destroying ozone in the stratosphere.. Vhlorine released from CFCs destroys ozone in catalytic reactions, where 100,000 molecules of ozone can be destroyed per chlorine atom.

Chlorofluorocarbon is constructedc ontaining atoms of carbon, chlorine, and fluorine. CFCs are classified as halocarbons, a classof compounds that contain atoms of carbon and halogen.

Not sure what it is you were wanting.. if you were wanting the process for constructing CFCs I have no idea.. I hop ethis will help.

NEVER Underestimate the power of stupidity!
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
researcher11

CFC stands for ChloroFluoroCarbon and there are many different CFCs. Most were used as refrigerants or for plastics.

The formation is extremely difficult, not that the chemistry is difficult, but the equipment required and the toxicity of the precursors put them on the extreme edge.

Ask specific questions and I will try to direct you to the answer. For now, though, google words like Freon.

Well here's one link that may get you started:
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/encyclopaedia/hutchinson/m0023689.html

DA Morgan
H
H
12 points to make you madder than a hatter!

What a dumb conversation. And I'm dumber than all you for joining in.

1 - earth's been around forever. (I know - billions - who care? forever)

2 - humans are part of nature - separation of "natural" and "artificial" is stupid for this kind of discussion.

3 - earth goes in temperature cycles with sun, moon, volcanos, supernovae, bacteria, trees, cows, and of late, humans.

4 - idiots who want to preserve the status quo should live on the moon. Other than a few meteor crashes, the status quo is almost always maintained there. earth is dynamic. evolution is dynamic. don't like it - go live (or die) somewhere else.

5 - who says global warming is "bad?" Value judgments like these are matters of policy - not science. the politicization of GW (I guess you'd have to call it GW-B (global warming bad) is so obvious to any dispassionate person that it reduces credibility of all the so-called "science." Both sides. Only an idiot would think that the waters in this field are clear.

6 - humans (and other life) adapts. Unless earth becomes trends toward venus really fast, people will adapt. I could foresee a time when 135dg F will seem cold to our descendants. Who's to say that's bad?

7 - you never know what good comes from a situation. if the dinos hadn't died off, maybe all the fools here (remember it includes me) wouldn't be alive today. Hmmm... maybe that would've been a good thing.

8 - those who *be-lieeeeeve* in global warming tend to be of one type: bo-o-o-o-oring - as in Al Go-o-o-o-oring. Of course, even bores can be correct, but even if they are, it makes me say: Global warming? Bring it on! Maybe it'll get the bores to shut-the-heck-up. Sanctimonious jerks - couldn't sell water to a dehydrated Arab in the Sahara.

9 - no - I don't like the oil companies - I don't side with those who *be-lieeeeeve* there's no GW-B. But I sure like their personalities better.

10 - when someone takes "the money" out of the discussion on GW-B, let me know. Maybe I'll give the discussion some credence at that point.

11 - Just because you're clever with words (that includes me - though I don't think I'm clever with words...) doesn't make you accurate. Doesn't make you wrong, either. But the two are independent. And referring to so-called news magazines that are really shills for the Democratic party and left wing agendas is no better than a bible thumper telling me that the bible is the word of god because the bible says so. circular statements don't make for good reasoning.

12 - most of all - only an idiot would take this post seriously. if you're all hot and bothered, you really ought to look at yourself in the mirror and ask why you are such a prickly, thin-skinned moron who reacts to words like these with such a wicked temper. I write this way because I L-O-O-V-E to tweak people like you. smile

13 - Finally, let's make this a baker's dozen - a toast on this day of Thanksgiving to all Americans (and anyone from other nations who would like to join the party) - idiots on the Left or Right and all the reasonable people in-between who just want to have a reasonable life. May we know that regardless of the words - and I've said a lot - that we're all in this together, and no matter who's right or wrong over the long haul, we really might try to be nicer to each other on a day-by-day.

Playfully yours,
Harry Gett

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
harrygett wrote:
"2-humans are part of nature - separation of "natural" and "artificial" is stupid for this kind of discussion."

Not if the discussion is taking place in the English language where the nuanced difference is well understood.

"3-earth goes in temperature cycles"

And it spins on its axis too ... Whoopee!

"4-idiots who want to preserve the status quo should live on the moon."

Idiots who think this is about maintaining the status quo should get a brain transplant?

"5-who says global warming is "bad?"

All of the people who stand to starve, all the people who stand to lose their homes and livelihoods, all those people who are not so self-centered and egotistical that they don't care about other lifeforms on the planet. And, BTW, I care!

"6-humans (and other life) adapts."

No they don't.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/11/061113175931.htm
But then you really don't care about reality do you? What have you done, so far in your life, that wasn't totally self-serving? What have you done that justifies the oxygen and space you consume?

"7-you never know what good comes from a situation.

Great logic. No doubt some good would come from murdering children with cancer too. Look at all the medical resources that wouldn't be wasted and could be devoted to giving you a personality transplant.

"8-those who *be-lieeeeeve* in global warming tend to be of one type: bo-o-o-o-oring - as in Al Go-o-o-o-oring.

I'm as boring as a heart attack. Try me!

"9-no - I don't like the oil companies"

Bloody irrelevant. Science does not depend on your likes and dislikes. But your statement is certainly another confirmation of your self-centered nature.

"10-Maybe I'll give the discussion some credence at that point."

Oh please don't. Don't give anything here at SAGG any credence. We just got rid of one troll and are not taking applications for the position.

"12 - most of all - only an idiot would take this post seriously."

You are correct. And not being an idiot I am not taking your post seriously. What I do take seriously is that the public education system in your country has failed to create a responsible, well eduacated, civilized member of society. A tragedy as certainly as is the Greenland melt.

DA Morgan
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.