Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1520 05/26/05 08:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A truth is a theory which works.
Because (& Hence) there are so many living beings .
And they all have their own level of understanding and truths for living on this planet.
Are they all wrong.
From our point of View .. YES
From their point of view .. may be No.
Because it works.

#1521 05/26/05 03:54 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Have you considered posting at psychagogo.com?

DA Morgan
#1522 05/27/05 02:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are you too proud of your intellect?
Did you consider my point of view seriously before making that unreasonable comment!!
Science is nothing but a collection of Truths with varying degree of correctness.
Anyways, do you know that at Quantum level the time looses its meaning??
A particle can go anywhere at an instant inside such a Black Hole (as discussed to Stephan Hawking)

#1523 06/21/05 06:35 PM
V
V
No, no. Wait here. If dkv's idea of truth strikes you as silly, you surely aren't familiar with Pragmatism. (Look it up) And if you aren't, then posting a comment on the nature of truth in itself is pretty silly, especially when doing so in derogatory terms. Just try to define truth otherwise, and you will see what I mean.

Of course, Pragmatism can be read out of context and be used to support the absurd, as is true with all concepts. But that's another matter

Look again, look harder
#1524 06/21/05 07:06 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
dkv wrote:
"Are you too proud of your intellect?"

More psychobabble? Please define the differece between "proud" and "too proud."

The TRUTH is that I never gave it any thought at all. Which is pretty much my impression of what you did when you spewed nonsense from your keyboard.

DA Morgan
#1525 06/22/05 03:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This happened due lack discussion on the subject.
This message was posted on 26th May and today it 22 June.
The meaning of my statement is simple... it relates to the Survival Strategy of species...
They create their own law(truth) which work for them independent of the nature's obejectivity to save themselves from the yet unknown....
Similary we can say that your set of rules or survival laws define which species you are...
I hope I have cleared the confusion...

#1526 06/22/05 03:51 AM
R
R
For one account on truth look up Tarski's "Formal correctness" and "material adequacy"

#1527 06/22/05 04:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What do they say?

#1528 06/22/05 05:26 PM
Y
Y
Truth is that which actually is (or was), regardless of whether it can be proven or how it is perceived.

Perception is in the eye of the beholder, so what is perceived to be true is relative. But that doesn't change what the truth actually is.

A "theory that works," as you put it, is redundant. A theory is merely a likely approximation of the way things are, given the available data. If it doesn't work, it's not a theory.

Bwa ha ha haaaa!!
#1529 06/22/05 11:28 PM
D
D
The nearest I can get to the truth is "Nothing is absolute" There is no absolute truth and no absolute definition. But enough of us survived long enough, even living subjectively, to ask such a question. Let's have another drink or look at the scenery and later tackle some problem we have a reasonable, if subjective, hope of solving.

#1530 06/23/05 12:16 AM
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
Quote:
A truth is a theory which works.
NO!!!!
A valid mathematical model is theory that has been empirically validated but not empirically falsified. Truth has nothing to do with it in any way, shape, or form. Theory must be internally self-consistent and be consistent with observation.

Truth is a monopoly of priests and philosophers. Try getting either to design and build you a working flush toilet. If the universe is a manifestation of a Keebler elve's dream, so be it. General Relativity exactly decribes gravitation within it.

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
#1531 06/23/05 03:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A theory is a theory .. it is an approximate model of the true objective reality.
There are many looholes in it and therfore it is not a Law.Good theory describes and validate any new obeservation using its known set of laws and if it fails we say we need a new theory...sometimes the changes made in the new theory are so drastic that our fundamental understanding gets shaken.Everything we have learned now appears to be false. Imagine how Galileo will feel when he will be told that there are no absolute reference frames...
Therefore Truth known to him was not True and it was not completly false also ....The truthness of his theory needs to only few constraints to become fully True .. and falseness needs more space in velocity to become totally false...
We know Galileo knew something which we still use today because it is practical....
Truth is a theory which works because we still do not have the Objective truth in our had.. and today what we know is not completly objective or true(and hence false going by the binary logic :-))...
To become logically consistent it becomes mandatory to know the theory of Everything...
TOE is more of a logical necessity than a physical one...
we all know this fact but are scared to admit it.

#1532 06/24/05 01:44 AM
D
D
Well at last now you've said it and it needs to be said sometimes. But it may not be be fear alone that stops people saying it. Maybe it just doesn't yield any worthwhile results, and it may stifle those who do and have done the hard work of getting us this far in knowledge.

#1533 06/24/05 03:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It seems that you agree with me.
However as I said theories work and therefore are useful and any hard work remains fruitful..
however those who swear by the sanctity of science must also realize the limitation of their truth....
When will they be able to acheive their goal of absolute truthness is a different question.

#1534 06/24/05 01:30 PM
C
C
Truths exists in mathematics. If the Universe itself is a purely mathematical system, then one can talk about absolute truths (which we may not know about).

In mathematics you have axioms, so any statement that can proven to be true is always of the form ''If x then y''. If you say that 1 + 1 = 2 then that is so because you have defined 1 and 2 in a certain way. So, 1 + 1 = 2 is a statement like ''let 1 and 2 be defined in such and such way, then it follows that 1 + 1 = 2''.

#1535 06/27/05 04:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you also agree with me on the "Physical Truth" and "Mathematical Truth"
Both truths have different meanings in my opinion because the Definition of Truth is different in the above mentioned domains...
However there is a common link between Maths and Reality.. so far we have been able to successfully map the Boolean Logic in both the domains...
Fuzzy Logic presents an alternative logical system and in my opinion it should be able map the reality to this new Math.
However existence of the both the logical systems will benefit us in the long run...
I wonder whether someone will be able to explain the entire reality based on Fuzzy Logic.
I hope I have not been too technical.

#1536 06/27/05 01:52 PM
E
E
I guess, nobody here knows the simple Truth, that the Truth is an accordance with the reality

e smile s

#1537 06/27/05 05:31 PM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
That would be Tarski's correspondence theory fo Truth "correspondence with the facts."

#1538 06/27/05 08:30 PM
E
E
Quote:
Originally posted by TheFallibleFiend:
--- the Truth is an accordance with the reality ---
That would be Tarski's correspondence theory for Truth "correspondence with the facts."
"Facts" is a more narrow area, than the reality is.

#1539 06/28/05 03:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Facts in the domain of Reality are not known...
Facts in the domain of Mathematics are self-enclosed in a group of Maths Axioms.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.