Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25007 02/27/08 02:55 AM
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

An Israeli Lab has been producing Electrical Fireballs from a Microwave Oven, just a few weeks ago.
They are not quite the Ball Lightning that floats thru walls and glass, but interesting nevertheless.

They produced an Microwave Electric drill (patented), and found that when they removed the microwave drill from the molten hole and switched on a laser, the molten nano-particles and smoke from the hole, formed into a floating electrical ball of fire.

I suspect its a Plasma ball rather than real Ball Lightning, but its a start.
Real Ball-lightning has occasionaly been seen during a thunderstorm, floating slowly down a road etc.
It has even been recorded floating down the aisle of a passenger aircraft in flight.
In the following URL, look at the 'Microwave drill' first, then back click on 'Fireballs' for some actual video clips.
http://www.eng.tau.ac.il/~jerby/jerby.html

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer
I suspect its a Plasma ball rather than real Ball Lightning, but its a start.

An interesting distinction, Mike. If it's a plasma ball then it qualifies as a ball of lightning, because lightning is ionised air, i.e., plasma; but according to this 2002 article (and some others), the nature of what's referred to as ball-lighting is highly controversial:

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20020209/bob8.asp

Evidence suggests that 'ball lighting' is not plasma - i.e., not lightning as-we-know-it. A convincing argument for this is that plasma is hot, and yet 'ball lighning' is consistently reported as moving horizontally, not vertically as one would expect if it actually were plasma.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.