Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25923 05/04/08 01:39 AM
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

NASA's Phoenix Spacecraft is due to land at the Martian North Pole in 21 days.
It will be a nail biting mission hours before it lands, as it has to turn into its correct orientation just minutes before landing, its onboard Radar will be avoiding the thousands of rocks in the final designated landing site.

The Phoenix lander will be landing on or close to the actual ice on Mars, that will be melting in the Martian Summer sun.
The lander will be testing and sampling actual water, making this lander very different from previous ones, which have only checked for the signs of water in the Martian distant past.

The Phoenix lander has an onboard Radar hazard detector coupled to its Hydrazine control nozzels, which should enable it to avoid the larger rocks, a couple of minutes before it lands.
After landing, and Solar panel deployment, Phoenix will probably be digging for up to 2.5 hours every Martian day.
Pity the Phoenix cannot move, on its telescopic legs.
It is expected to get covered in hoar frost every night.
Eventually it will check for human habitability

Check out the "live landing clock", and the latest news at-

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/phoenix/main/index.html

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/mars141.php

Can't wait...we wish it well

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

Hello Mike,

It is exciting and I hope it all goes well. I hope Mars is much more than expected to be.

best regards,
odin1

People will forgive you for anything -but being right !
odin1

R
R
While I think the colonization of Mars is sort of the wrong step I understand that it could teach us lots of lessons in the colonization and terra forming of planets, so I hope everything goes well.

Hello Rallem - and everyone,

Have been gone for a few days.

A lot will have to be done before colonization occurs. But, I hope we do. I would hope the red planet could become the blue and green planet one day. It would be nice to have a sister.

best regards,
odin1

odin1

R
R
That is why I think we should colonize the other red planet Venus. It has an iron core and it is possible to create a magnetic field if we get the planet to spin, (in theory) but Mars has no iron core so that is impossible. I am still skeptical that Mars will ever be able to hold a thicker atmosphere than it already does because there just isn't enough mass.

But Mars rotates already. It's day is similar to Earths. A Martian day is 24.7 hrs. I takes Venus 2802 hrs. to complete a rotation. Mars diameter is 95% that of Earths and 80% of Earth's mass. I haven't put the figures to it yet but you take this into account and Mars is very similar to Earth other that atmosphere. A change in atmosphere would change other small differences. For the biggest bang for the buck, I'll put my money on Mars.

best regards,
odin1

odin1

R
R
Mars has approximately half the radius of Earth and only one-tenth the mass, being less dense, but its surface area is only slightly less than the total area of Earth's dry land.[4] While Mars is larger and more massive than Mercury, Mercury has a higher density. This results in a slightly stronger gravitational force at Mercury's surface. The red-orange appearance of the Martian surface is caused by iron(III) oxide, more commonly known as hematite, or rust.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Rallem
Mars has approximately half the radius of Earth and only one-tenth the mass, being less dense, but its surface area is only slightly less than the total area of Earth's dry land.[4] While Mars is larger and more massive than Mercury, Mercury has a higher density. This results in a slightly stronger gravitational force at Mercury's surface. The red-orange appearance of the Martian surface is caused by iron(III) oxide, more commonly known as hematite, or rust.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars

Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

The Mars Phoenix Lander sets down on Mars today.
Lets all wish it well.....It needs it, after taking 9 months to reach Mars, it will only take 7 minutes to slow from 12,000mph down to zero, using parachute and retro rocket.
It will also be landing on ice, at Mars N polar cap.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/phoenix/main/index.html

There is a live video feed (Real Player?) should you get the time. If heavily subscribed, there is certain to be an audio link somewhere.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
It's landed! After travelling at many miles per second for months, it touched down at 5mph, and is standing almost perfectly vertically. A flawless mission so far.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
Hey rendewenur,

Did you see the Martian snow skiing by the camera?

just kidding
odin1

hey, it is ok to tell a lie as long as you tell one big enough that everyone knows it's a lie!

odin1

odin1 #26232 05/27/08 01:59 AM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
theres more here is the main phoenix mission site if anyone wants to see more images from the mission.

and heres a small movie in quicktime 27 mb

Last edited by paul; 05/27/08 02:17 AM.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
odin1 #26241 05/27/08 06:39 AM
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: odin1
Hey rendewenur,

Did you see the Martian snow skiing by the camera?

Would that it were so easy, but sorry to disappoint you, odin1. Image enhancement shows that it was no Martian. It was Santa Claus on summer vacation.

paul #26244 05/27/08 08:36 AM
Megastar
Megastar
"Cool" stuff. Thanks mucho.
smile

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
rendewnur,

I quit believing in Santa Claus when Elvis told me he didn't exist 2 years ago.

I'm too smart for that!

odin1

odin1

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.