Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#43813 05/26/12 02:10 PM
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Scientist have found a way to quickly excavate man made rivers
using huge boulders , some of these boulders weigh thousands of pounds , could this possibly be a way that the ancient egyptians
moved stones from quarries to build the pyramids?

see how quickly this process excavates the man made channel , scrubbing and gouging out several feet of rock from the channel
bed.

in a matter of minutes this channel has become several feet deeper.

we see the roman aquaducts all over europe , could it be that the romans used the aquaducts for transporting materials from city to city along the aquaducts?

could the aquaducts have been used for transportation even?

did ancient astronaunts somehow influence the construction of these aquaducts?

I just thought I would share this amazing video with the group.

hope you enjoy watching thousand pound boulders floating down a stream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51C7vEAVbxk

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: paul
could this possibly be a way that the ancient egyptians moved stones from quarries to build the pyramids?

we see the roman aquaducts all over europe , could it be that the romans used the aquaducts for transporting materials from city to city along the aquaducts?

could the aquaducts have been used for transportation even?

Unfortunately I'm afraid none of these speculations will hold up. A mudslide depends on a mixture of water, dirt and rocks. The water loosens the mud, and then the mud acts as a lubricant to carry the rocks. I have to say that IS an amazing video.

The ancient Egyptians used the Nile to transport stones. It doesn't have the right mixture of water and mud, plus enough gravitational energy, to carry the rocks. The Egyptians had to transport their rocks one at a time. That was pretty impressive in itself.

As far as the Roman aqueducts go, they weren't big enough to transport anything. They were basically pipes made in the way they had the technology to handle. In fact some places they plunged under ground in enclosed pipes to get under things like streams that they couldn't build the aqueduct over.

This isn't to take anything away from either the Egyptians or the Romans. They did some absolutely amazing engineering within the confines of the technology they had.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Good video, Paul. Interesting how a depresion seems to form between the walls of the dam. I guess there must be softer material there.

Quote:
did ancient astronaunts somehow influence the construction of these aquaducts?

Has to be a question for Eddy Pengelly.

There never was nothing.
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
You are quite right Bill Gill
The larger boulders floated upon a slurry of mud and stones

If you look carefully you will see that the dam is a double one, with prehaps 5 or 6 feet between them.
this ensured that the larger boulders dropped into a mud and stone 'mattress' that lies between the two dams. This allows the heavier boulders to rise slowly and majesticly up and over the second dam.
Note that there is NO damage to the concrete edge along the dams.

The double dam was originally placed there to ensure that the mountain stream was always partially full, and did not empty out into the larger rocky stream a few feet further on.

Yes the romans built aquaducts all over Europe and Israel to transport spring water from hill to hill, to town
They were built, using stone and brick arches, some were quite high. The water channel was either open at the top or used a covered-in pipe.

Famous Roman viaduct/aquaduct in France

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pont_du_Gard

Wide Israeli Aquaduct

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/vie/Caesarea.html

Last edited by Mike Kremer; 05/27/12 07:46 PM. Reason: punctuation

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
if you liked that one heres another that is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Ma0SVjMHA&feature=related

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
The larger boulders floated upon a slurry of mud and stones

nope !

the larger boulders did not float. ( density differential )
they were lifted by force by the smaller faster moving rocks.

if and when the boulders rested on the bottom they were quickly excavated and lifted up towards the surface of the flow in the same manner as a aircraft wing is lifted by air passing underneath it.

Quote:
hope you enjoy watching thousand pound boulders floating down a stream.

I was just wondering if someone would point out that the
boulders were not actually floating.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
They did some absolutely amazing engineering within the confines of the technology they had.

they certainly did !

within 2000th of an inch !!!

using copper tools , yea right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUpkrkU1BfY

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
do not copy this video !!!

a little more in depth about the technology of ancient egypt
using their copper chisels and tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=LcLaIRJOVsI

now if they would have made almost perfectly flat copper plates
using stone hammers I could believe it , but almost perfectly flat stone using copper tools I just cant believe.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: paul
now if they would have made almost perfectly flat copper plates using stone hammers I could believe it , but almost perfectly flat stone using copper tools I just cant believe.

It all depends. Do you know how to make a flat surface on just about anything? You take 3 objects of the same material and start rubbing them together, alternating so that they are all three in contact that is 1-2 1-3 2-3. If you use just 2 they will wind up with one dished and one domed. But with 3 you can get 3 perfectly flat surfaces. In fact that has been the traditional way to make optical flats. The Egyptians were perfectly capable of figuring that out for themselves, it isn't really high tech, it just takes patience. And that is basically what it took for the Egyptians to cut and set all that rock.

Bill Gill

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
You take 3 objects

I suppose that would be easy if you were not flattening
100,000 pound objects.

rubbing 3 100,000 pound objects together alone would be a task that modern machine shops using hydraulic pistons would cringe at.

wouldnt you think.

now just how would you rub the insides of burial boxes and still get the 2000th of an inch clearance?

huge burial boxes for bulls that were worshiped.
the lids of these alone weigh apx 50 ton's !!!

Im certain this could be accomplished using the flow of a river
or wind power but there is no data on egyptian tools that I know of that harnessed any natural source of energy.

the data and the common knowledge is that they used copper chisels and round stones.

they didnt even use the rubbing technique you speak of.

machining granite to a precision of 2000th of an inch using
small rotating stones rubbing against the surface to be flattened would mean constantly adjusting the stone doing the rubbing as it would also be ground down.

so to summarize my thoughts on this , the egyptians were not the ones that machined these stones.

it had to be a more advanced yet older civilization that did the machining using tools that could have performed the precision cutting that we see in egypt.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Just one more quick word unless somebody brings up something else.

The Egyptians did it all by themselves with no help from aliens or gods!

Bill Gill

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
That deserves to be hilarious, Bill. I'd like to laugh, but I can't. Most people are evidently eager to believe anything, rather than tolerate a gap in their knowledge. In that respect I guess nothing's changed since the Old Kingdom.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Bill
Just one more quick word unless somebody brings up something else.

The Egyptians did it all by themselves with no help from aliens or gods!

Bill Gill

[Quote=Mike Kremer]

Mike Kremer said...Aliens or not Bill.G ...the Egyptians certainly did not shape
out the 90 degree inside corners of the very many granite tombs or sarcophagii
with work hardened copper chisels.
As no traces of copper have ever been found within, or on the surfaces of the granite corners.
Just how many living arms, hammering chisel ends, can you get inside a granite tomb? Hehe. Thats something to think about.
Some other method must have been used.

Try rubbing a piece of copper along the surface of smooth concrete
...and lets see how you are going to remove all traces of
copper that is left behind in the 'pores' of the concrete.

PS dont use a coin, use real copper (the tip of a soldering iron)
or electrical copper power (earth?) wire.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
the Egyptians certainly did not shape
out the 90 degree inside corners of the very many granite tombs or sarcophagii
with work hardened copper chisels.

if they did do it , they must have used some kinnnnnndoooooffff
magic or something...

LOL

Quote:
Try rubbing a piece of copper along the surface of smooth concrete
...and lets see how you are going to remove all traces of
copper that is left behind in the 'pores' of the concrete.

very good point , there would be some residue or chemical traces even after thousands of years of oxidization of the copper.

which should be documented by now given that we are so smart.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that there should be traces of diamonds somewhere which would explain how they achieved such remarkable precision.

plus , there were 400 ft above nile elevation marks on the plates that covered the pyramids before the arabs removed them , these elevation marks were due to higher ocean levels at some point in time , this has been documented and inside the pyramids there was found 1 inch thick salt crustations found up to the 400 ft elevation mark.

which would age the pyramids to before the last big ice age much further back in time than 12,000 yrs ago.

tells me that the egyptians did not build the pyramids

because the water has not been that high since the egyptians have been recording their history.

most likely after the civilization that built the pyramids became history durring some ice age in the past a group of people moved into the area after all the ice melted and
the earth resettled causing egypt to lower in elevation
and laid claim to the pyramids.

I'll guess the pyramids were built somewhere around 120,000 years ago !!!!!!!!!!

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Most people are evidently eager to believe anything, rather than tolerate a gap in their knowledge. In that respect I guess nothing's changed since the Old Kingdom.

it might just be that most people these days are not as gullible as they were in the past , prehaps they use their brain to think with vs allowing others to dictate what they have chosen for them to believe!

really just try to put a dent in a granite slab using a copper chisel , and to emphasize my point just think of how small the tip of the copper chisel would need to be to make the 90 degree corners with 2000th of an inch precision , you would never remove a single molecule of granite because the tiny tip of the chisel would bend as soon as you placed any pressure on it.

M
Megastar
Megastar
M

Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

Paul said:-
"It might just be that most people these days are not as gullible as they were in the past , prehaps they use their brain to think with vs allowing others to dictate what they have chosen for them to believe!

Just try to put a dent in a granite slab using a copper chisel , and to emphasize my point just think of how small the tip of the copper chisel would need to be to make the 90 degree corners with 2000th of an inch precision , you would never remove a single molecule of granite because the tiny tip of the chisel would bend as soon as you placed any pressure on it.

Mike Kremer said:-

Dont worry Paul about going 'out on a limb', as you mentioned in your previous letter, regarding using diamond.
Diamond does seem the most likely and only possibility thats left, as you mentioned.
The granite was cut, and dressed, in the Aswan quarry area (I believe)
and then brought by barge north down the Nile, to the Pyramid area.

Prehaps its on the Aswan area that one should look for diamond dust,
or for some sort of tools Paul. As it might make more sense to cut off as much waste granite material as possible before loading the barges?

Oh, ...I should have mentioned previously, that the work hardened (hammered) copper chisels were used on Egyptian sandstone monuments,
but I am sure you knew that.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Diamond does seem the most likely and only possibility thats left, as you mentioned.

You don't have to have diamond to cut or abrade a hard material. A tool made of the same material can be used. It's just that the cutting tool wears at the same speed as the material being worked.

Bill Gill

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
A tool made of the same material can be used

in the below link you can find a researchers data and experiments on how he believes that the granite was cut using saws and sand and water , which makes a lot of sense , however there is still the timeline
( the salt water mark at 400 ft elevation above the nile river's current elevation )
that cannot be swept under any rug especially since there are no convenient rugs to sweep it under.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/lostempires/obelisk/cutting.html

the painting depicting the hole saw could easily have been painted onto the walls of the pyramid by the egyptians but does not tell me that the egyptians are the ones that built the pyramids.

the picture shows egyptians cutting wood / furniture using a hole saw!

so either the pyramids have been underwater within the recorded egyptian history or the egyptians did not build the pyramids or there is some other reason that there would be a water mark at the 400 ft elevation along with the salt crustations found inside the pyramids.

because a written language would be required to build such huge structure's along with drawings and measurements , even drawings and descriptions of how the work is to be performed
and since these drawings are not literally found all over the place and since the above drawing has been found , this tells me that the reasons there are no drawings of the pyramids construction is that they did not build the pyramids and that they didnt know how they were built!!

its that simple.

it really does not matter if the egyptians were or were not capable of cutting the granite slabs or not.

they just simply didn't build the pyramids unless a reason can be found that shows how the water mark was there.

note:

I suppose it has/can be said that salt would leach from the stone and this would be a reason why there were salt crustations found inside the pyramids , but it would not come close to telling why the salt stopped leaching from the stone above the 400 ft elevation !!!

Im going to go ahead and say that I would think that the civilization that built the pyramids probably used computers to write on.

like we do.
we are in fact at the point just before where the builders of the pyramids were at when looking at glacial charts.

we should build some pyramids and etch our history in stone for people 120,000 years from now to read.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Quote:
Prehaps its on the Aswan area that one should look for diamond dust,
or for some sort of tools Paul. As it might make more sense to cut off as much waste granite material as possible before loading the barges?

verry interesting 160,000 - 200,000 BCE !!! minning metropolis.

where theres gold there is also diamonds.
http://www.viewzone.com/adamscalendar.html

I suppose there must have been trade between the different civilizations and this could be where the builders of the pyramids got the diamonds to cut the stone with.

it might even be that these people are the ones that built the pyramids , the approaching ice age driving them further north
due to lowering temperatures.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.