Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Pluto has lost its designation as a classical planet. And will now be known as a dwarf planet.

Why? Because its orbit overlaps Neptunes.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Finally some recognition for the height challenged.

DA Morgan
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
Hi Mike:

I think it is an unfortunate distinction. The benefit to the "namers" is that they can use that designation for all mid-sized objects that will be discovered. When they discover a Mercury size object they can play the game all over again.
jjw

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Quote:
Originally posted by jjw:
Hi Mike:

I think it is an unfortunate distinction. The benefit to the "namers" is that they can use that designation for all mid-sized objects that will be discovered. When they discover a Mercury size object they can play the game all over again.
jjw
Well possibly. My personal opinion is that they have unfortunately renamed Pluto as a 'Dwarf Planet', so everyone now thinks that it has been renamed for being so small in diameter.
Although it is smaller than our Moon, a Planet is a Planet in my book, however small, as long as it correctly circles the Sun?
I believe it was reclassified after much thought, and voting.....because it crosses the orbit of Neptune, in its travels!
It might have better been called a 'trans-obital planet?
A name that would better distinguish it from any other tiny planet (if found?) even further out from Pluto. Were it found to be in a more conventional circular non-crossing orbit?
Its a moot point anyway.

Question....How much smaller than Pluto does a dwarf planet need to be, before it gets down to being renamed as Micro? Hehehe.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
I believe i read that if it has enough size to form a sphere it is a dwarf planet. Anything not big enough to have the gravity to form a sphere is an asteroid, meteor or something else of that caliper.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Ah yes, dehammer, you are correct, I forgot about thst point.

J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
So what have they resolved?

They have already found an object believed to be larger than Pluto. I can understand the definition must contain more than an orbit around the Sun due to the many Asteroids, Pluto has a sizeable Moon of its own, Charon. Mars has two little rock satellites that are not even close to being spheres. So, size is important after all. Possibly they are afraid they will discover more large objects and they will run out of fingers with which to count them.
I enjpy the entertainment.
jjw

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Quote:
Originally posted by jjw:
So what have they resolved?

They have already found an object believed to be larger than Pluto. I can understand the definition must contain more than an orbit around the Sun due to the many Asteroids, Pluto has a sizeable Moon of its own, Charon. Mars has two little rock satellites that are not even close to being spheres. So, size is important after all. Possibly they are afraid they will discover more large objects and they will run out of fingers with which to count them.
I enjpy the entertainment.
jjw
Looks like you could be right
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - "Hundreds of U.S. (300)scientists have challenged a recent decision by an international astronomy group to strip Pluto of its planetary status with a petition rejecting its definition of what constitutes a planet.
Dissenters are organizing a conference next year to hash out a better definition, of what is a Planet?"
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=166
Pluto as a Planet may well be saved

W
W
Apparently Pluto is getting one last chance to remain a Planet; if they can find a "face" on it, it's a Planet. BTW, the "Face On Mars" is Keanu Reeves.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.