Science a GoGo's Home Page
Posted By: paul 2 NEW REACTORS in Georgia - 02/16/10 08:58 PM
President Obama is building 2 new reactors in Georgia U.S.A.

after over 30 years of no new reactors in the U.S.

looks like big oil has lost its death grip on the U.S.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/17/business/energy-environment/17nukes.html

that should Close that valve on the imported oil pipe just a bit more.

Granted Wind Power would be my choice only I would design them to use the wind , LOL.

the fact is that in the distant future the wind might be calm for weeks at a time after the ice has melted and nuclear and solar would carry us through those dry spells.

the plan is to provide 8 billion in government loans to build these plants.

thats 8000 million dollars...

you could install 800,000 $10,000.00 solar systems on homes and that would provide electricity for 800,000 homes.

or you could install 1,600,000 $5,000 wind power systems on homes and that would provide electricity for 1,600,000 homes.

the planned construction is expected to provide electricity for 500,000 homes.

I think it would be a great thing to macth these funds to strenghten the solar power and wind power industry and all the related new jobs that are a result of those new extremely important industries.

but all in all the new nuclear reactors are a good thing.

and we should be proud that the goverment accomplished something good.

heck we should be amazed that they were capable of accomplishing anything these days.

Posted By: kallog Re: 2 NEW REACTORS in Georgia - 03/22/10 09:27 AM
Hehe, I don't think it's 'big oil' that let it happen. I think it's global warming causing people to loosen their morbid fear of nuclear power.

A $5000 home wind turbine can't power a whole house, except perhaps in uncommonly windy places. And who would want to live there?

Jobs? I hate that excuse! Creating jobs is another way of saying 'costing money'. You can't have a power generator which is both cheap and creates jobs. Not needing so many workers is one of the big drawcards of wind and solar! Needing more workers isn't a selling point!
Posted By: paul Re: 2 NEW REACTORS in Georgia - 04/02/10 06:14 PM
Quote:
A $5000 home wind turbine can't power a whole house, except perhaps in uncommonly windy places. And who would want to live there?

LOL.. anybody on the east coast if you put a wind turbine on the beach on the east coast where most people live in the U.S. and net meter it.

but you might want to use a better turbine than the in-efficient 3 thin blade ones normaly sold.

and for $5000.00 I could build a 20kW system myself.
of course if I bought one already built it would cost about $5000.00 for a 1 kW system installed.
© Science a GoGo's Discussion Forums