Science a GoGo's Home Page
Posted By: John M Reynolds Urban heat island data gone - 07/09/08 08:55 PM
[quote]"The IPCC has taken the view that while [UHI] matter in specific locations, the problem washes out globally. They still rely on Jones et al. 1990 for this claim, and invoke it as a reason to set aside all the contrary evidence."

The original Jones 1990 data are no longer available. See the original post for particulars.
Posted By: JonathanLowe Re: Urban heat island data gone - 07/27/08 09:46 PM
has there been a study to contradict jones' evidence? If not than the IPCC are in their right to claim his evidence of no ubrna heat island
Posted By: samwik Re: Urban heat island data gone - 07/29/08 10:37 PM
I don't know much about UHI (maybe I'll do some surfing), but....

Currently, to "improve" air quality for the Olympics....
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D926NC681&show_article=1
Quote:
Beijing municipal government officials said last week that they are confident that a range of long- and short-term measures will ensure good air quality during the Games, which start Aug. 8.
These include banning half the cars from the road, halting most construction work and closing some factories for the duration of the Olympics

Isn't the large reduction in factory production and automobile traffic in Beijing acting as a large experiment on Urban Heat Island effects.

I'm thinking....
The large reduction in heat production may be contributing to the pollution retention, and increased fogging in the area.
~ confused
© Science a GoGo's Discussion Forums