Science a GoGo's Home Page
Posted By: Bill S. Heat capacity - 01/10/12 07:23 PM
I recently came across the following quote:

"The heat capacity of a gravitationally bound system is negative".

Could someone please provide a simple explanation?
Posted By: Bill Re: Heat capacity - 01/10/12 08:26 PM
Ok, here is a link to physics forums.
There is a rather simple explanation of the matter. I don't know that I understand it yet, but they seem to have some kind of idea about how it works.

Bill Gill
Posted By: Bill S. Re: Heat capacity - 01/10/12 11:23 PM
Thanks Bill. I think I get the general idea. As so often seem to happen on PF, what starts looking relatively simple becomes more complicated as more people post. frown

Do you post on PF?
Posted By: Bill Re: Heat capacity - 01/11/12 07:31 PM
No, I don't hang around PF. I found that link through Google. As far as the complications that show up on a thread there, that is basically because different people have a different take on any given subject. Sometimes what starts out seeming really simple turns into a big tangled ball of string when you really look at it. And of course there are some people who just naturally feel like they have to say something in response to any statement. (Why are you looking at me?) Sometimes what they say makes sense, and sometimes it is just that they are talking to show how wonderful they are.

Bill Gill
Posted By: Bill S. Re: Heat capacity - 01/11/12 09:44 PM
Quote:
sometimes it is just that they are talking to show how wonderful they are.

People really do that??
Posted By: Bill Re: Heat capacity - 01/11/12 11:38 PM
Quit looking at me like that. It is obvious that I always take careful thought for what I say and that I am very careful to make sure that my opinions are backed up by the very latest scientific evidence.

I would never think of saying anything that isn't completely factual, or at least I try not to let you know.

Bill Gill
Posted By: Bill S. Re: Heat capacity - 01/12/12 11:33 PM
Originally Posted By: PF
The system will reach equilibrium when its motion is just enough to prevent collapse, and since the cluster is now more spread out, this will be when the stars are moving more slowly. Thus, they have a lower temperature.

Would I be right in thinking that this process would also decrease the entropy of the system?
© Science a GoGo's Discussion Forums