Science a GoGo's Home Page
Posted By: Bill S. What is a naked singularity? - 03/04/11 07:03 PM
From what I can discover it seems that a naked singularity is a singularity without an event horizon.

It also seems that this may be a black hole in the making, as it is a product of continued gravitational collapse.

This seems to raise three questions:

1. If a singularity is a point at which spacetime is infinitely curved, how can the curvature increase?

2. If the curvature at the singularity cannot further increase, why is it not a black hole already.

3. If the curvature is not infinite, how can it be described as a singularity.
Posted By: Bill S. Re: What is a naked singularity? - 03/04/11 07:09 PM
I have just found de Felice’s paper ((www.arxiv.org/abs/0710.0983). I need an explanation with less maths, please. smile
Posted By: Bill Re: What is a naked singularity? - 03/05/11 03:42 PM
Well, I don't know that much about it myself. I did a little googling and didn't come up with much. Apparently there has been some theoretical work on the matter. The only thing I have come up with is that they may or may not be possible. If they are they create some strange effects. I do recall that Scientific American had an article about them and I managed to find out what issue it was in. That was the Jan. 21, 2009 issue. I don't have it, it went to my daughter years ago. You can read it on line if you are a subscriber, or you might be able to find it at a library.

Bill Gill
Posted By: Bill S. Re: What is a naked singularity? - 03/05/11 11:08 PM
I'm beginning to find out a little bit about the basic idea. It seems to be a lot to do with the angular momentum of the growing black hole. Sufficient angular momentum seems to turn the event horizon into a "doughnut". further increase brings the "top" and "bottom" together so that the doughnut ceases to exist. Eureka! a sort of B H from which light can escape.

All this happens in theory, though.

I'm a long way from being sure how the angular momentum achieves all this.
© Science a GoGo's Discussion Forums