Science a GoGo's Home Page
Posted By: Mike Kremer Solar Tower Land Purchase - 02/14/08 10:18 PM

I am so pleased that this unique Australian alternative energy project is to finally go ahead.
At last this new form of green energy has taken a significant step with the purchase of a 25,000-acre sheep farm in the Australian outback. Thats enough land to put up the Worlds tallest thermal Power Station.
When built at 1-kilometer (3,280-feet) it will be nearly double the height of any of the world's tallest buildings.

I was impressed back in 2002, when I first read about it, not only because of its simplicity, but also its total enviromental 'green cleaness'.

The Solar Tower is hollow in the middle like a chimney. At its base is a glass collector -- a 25,000-acre, transparent circular skirt. The air under the collector is heated by the sun and funneled up the chimney by convection -- hot air rises. As it rises, the air accelerates to 35 mph, driving wind turbines within the tower, which generate electricity much like conventional wind farms.

A small 50 kW prototype has been operating in Spain for 7 years.
This Australian larger version will generate 200MW, sufficient to power more than 200.000 homes.

If you think this tower is tall, there is a Chinese half-mile-tall version in the works. To be built by the Chinese construction Co. Xiang Jiang Industrial.
They came across a press mention of the Australian project a few years ago, and have now become the second largest Australian shareholder.

http://www.reuk.co.uk/200MW-Solar-Tower.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLIiGTZxH5s (Commercial Video)

Posted By: Wyldfire Re: Solar Tower Land Purchase - 02/15/08 01:20 AM
Cool one of this design is actually going ahead in Aus, I had heard that he couldn't get any backers and move ahead to build a couple in the US
Posted By: redewenur Re: Solar Tower Land Purchase - 02/15/08 01:32 AM
Cool? Yes. Or a hot design? Yes smile

It's great to see a viable, clean, sustainable, renewable, cheap energy source underway. Now, all Australia needs is another 100 and they won't need much else...

But imagine, a whole nation's energy supply run by 1500 personel, and zero polution!
Posted By: Wyldfire Re: Solar Tower Land Purchase - 02/15/08 05:23 AM
Yeah AU just needs to find a way to move sea water into the desert and we will be fine....

Evil droughts....
© Science a GoGo's Discussion Forums